Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Anyone else having mixed feelings?

Discussion in 'Episode 509 - What Happened and What's Going On' started by Zombie_Rhino, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Zombie_Rhino

Zombie_Rhino Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone else is having mixed feelings about the outcome of this episode. At first, I had heard the rumors that Tyreese was going to die soon and I was happy about it. He was somewhat of a disappointing character to me as he never lived up to his comic counterpart and his decisions to be passive and not take out threats like Martin could have really cost the group. However, after watching this episode, I started to feel sad that we will not see Tyreese again and that he's gone for good. I guess it's a tribute to the writers and actors of the show that still made me feel sad for the loss of a character that I didn't even think I would care about losing. Bravo.

(On a side note, I also really liked seeing Chad Coleman on Talking Dead and thought he was great on the show. Thanks for your contributions to TWD universe, Chad!)

2. CoyoteTWD

CoyoteTWD Well-Known Member

I had the exact same feelings. At first I was all:

[​IMG]

And then I was all:

[​IMG]

3. Lupey

Lupey Member

The episode really changed me on the whole Tyreese story line. I wanted the big bad ass thumping walkers with the hammer. Man the F up Ty!! Before it didn't matter if he died, now I miss him.

4. Jon Snow

Jon Snow Member

That's what this show does though. You don't like a character, then they have a character have an episode where you grow to like them, and then kill off. I don't know if it's a compliment or critisicm to the writers. They make most of the characters redeemable in their dying moments. But at the same time, you could argue they just couldn't be bothered/didn't know how to write Tyreese anything interesting enough.

Having said that, I liked Tyreese in 4B. His group was my favourite. He saved Judith for a start. But prior to 4B - and after 4B - the character was all over the place.

I'm not sad Tyreese is dead. But it's a shame. Chad did a great job. But if the writers feel like they can't do anything with his character (and that his death can help develop Sasha) then I'm not complaining!

5. Sekn

Sekn New Member

Tyreese was a victim of the bad writing a few seasons ago, and there being too many badasses in the group. They had Rick, Michonne, Carol, Daryl, Abraham and Rosita. There was nothing for him to be or do. I don't think it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to have some event shock Tyreese into being the character he was in the book, possibly something happening to Judith whom he obviously cared about. But considering there were so many other badasses in the group, there was no point.

6. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

One person who didn't have mixed feelings was Chad Coleman. On TD he said that he felt that Tyreese's character had run its course. Of course, he has a show coming up so has something positive to look forward to. But on the whole he has always seemed to be happy with his character's arc.

7. Cam

Cam New Member

They had to do it to my man Tyrese. Why not kill off 'Everybody hates Chris'?!??

8. WatWD

WatWD Member

Noah's time is coming and probably fairly soon. Didn't he sign for a different show starting soon?

I disliked the difference of comic Ty versus TV Ty but I liked Chad's acting (TWD & The Wire). By the time the episode was over I was already missing him. At the end, that beanie on that cross got to me.

9. VickGrimes

VickGrimes Well-Known Member

I was a Tyreese fan in the beginning, but he fell out of favor with me when he refused to accept their new reality. I've watched the episode 3 times now, and it wasn't until my third viewing that I got the feels and finally shed a few tears over losing him.

10. Callysta

Callysta Active Member

That's how i felt, too. I don't tend to favor the "softer" characters, but once they're gone i miss them. It was the same with Hershel.

11. Lisaatje

Lisaatje Member

Honestly, I never really liked Tyreese. I really wanted to like him, but I just think that he didn't really belong in this zombie apocalytic world. Not like his sister does.

12. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

I'm Canadian. It's a toque, not a beanie. :)

13. FutureApocalyps

I don't miss Ty. He was not accepting the new reality in which they were living. His relentless, unrealistic desire to not kill those who deserved it, put the team in jeopardy.

I mean this guy (Tyreese) didn't even kill Martin?(Terminite) who threatened to kill baby Judith after sharing that no life matters more than his own, was losing his sanity. Martin threatened to kill an infant? How much more evil can a human being become? Kill him!!

The weakest links won't survive the ZA. Tyreese was a very weak link.

14. Zombie_Rhino

Zombie_Rhino Well-Known Member

I'm almost afraid to say this, but I almost missed Dale a little bit when he went too. I hated how whiny he was while on screen, but then I felt bad for the poor guy when he bit the dust. To be honest, the group struggles a little with no moral center.

15. Lolly92660

Lolly92660 Member

I don't think I'll miss Tyreese too much, but I sure felt bad for Sasha. First Bob, then her bro. I did shed a few tears for her.

That being said, I worry about what they're going to do with her. For a lot of people, those kind of losses would be crippling. But if she's not going to become one of the walking dead (i.e., emotionless and broken), someone's going to have to give her some uplifting, life-affirming, rah-rah speech to justify her carrying on, and I'm just not that interested in sitting through that kind of scene. What's wrong with me?

16. the walking jet

ty pretty much always stayed on my nerves.. not chad's fault, BTW.. honestly i thought he pulled off being a teddy bear trapped in a middle linebacker's body quite convincingly.. him not killing martin & then lying about it was definitely epic fail.. to much at stake for that kind of sentimentality for my tastes..

guilty pleasure, in his death scene when martin was talking spit to ty i was like, see what you get dummy??

LOLz i do kinda miss the big softy though..

17. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

I was not a fan of Ty in S3. Having read the comics, I had different expectations.

I enjoyed S4 Ty- fighting with Rick, stepping into the herd and his arc with the girls. Him being the caregiver and enjoying it, got me. The Grove and No Sanctuary gave me the warm fuzzies, for his role of being the protector.

18. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

I didn't care for Dale's preachy approach, but he had a good heart. He cared a lot, his approach was just annoying, at times. He could read people for who they really were, ie Shane.

19. maxlvtrojan

maxlvtrojan Member

I've never read the comics. But based on how he was described by those who had I was extremely excited when his character first premiered on the show. I expected emotional and caring. But also strong and charismatic. And definitely not incompetent. So, I always felt a disconnect between who I thought Tyreese should be, and how he was depicted in the show.

I can respect that changes need to be made to plot and character development in order to gain surprise and entertain an audience that is familiar with the source material. Even though Tyreese was portrayed as more sensitive and morally conscious than I imagined, I was still disappointed that he never emerged as a leader, or even prominent member of the group. There was no reason he couldn't both fill the Dale void as the moral center of group, and still take care of business when necessary.

So, even though I enjoyed the episode as a whole. I see his death as a disappointing end to a disappointing character.

20. Toothpick

Toothpick Well-Known Member

I always thought that Daryl fulfilled Tys comic role and tv Ty was never really able tp fully develop into A leader type character who was like ricks deputy in command. He became a rather emasculated, oversensitive, anti killing pacifist once he got to the prison and karen died. So if we'd had less daryl we would've had more of Tyreese and other characters

*waitsfor Daryl fangirling onslaught of disapproval*