Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Anyone here own this?

Discussion in 'Volume 1: Days Gone Bye' started by Jakobi, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Jakobi

Jakobi Administrator

I was curious to see if anybody here actually has a copy of this...

2. Negan

Negan Active Member

1? Nah, I got em all digitally until the start of Someting to Fear.

Speaking of which, Jakobi, did you/are you read/reading the comics?

3. Misfit

Misfit Active Member

I've got a copy of it. And, to be honest, I've never read the single issue. It wasn't until the trades started that I fell in love with the series.

4. Scarry Larry

Scarry Larry Member

I had a copy. Bought it the day it came out. Along w/ The Goon #1 (Dark Horse). Sold it a few years ago. 1 - 80 for 800 USD.

5. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

I read Days Gone By earlier this year.

My biggest complaint is how quickly the story develops: Rick wakes up from his coma, is nearly eaten by zombies, is later told by Morgan that a zombie apocalypse broke out weeks ago, yet Rick quickly accepts it. If you research The Walking Dead's publishing history, you'll learn Robert Kirkman wasn't given any guarrantees the series would be continued, so he had to compress the storyline, but I wish he went about it differently.

My second complaint is the comic book version of Rick Grimes is a bit of a dunce. When Dale politely tells Rick his worries about Shane and Lori, Rick smiles and says he'll keep Dale's warning in mind. Soon as Rick is out of Dale's sight, he rudely dismisses the older man's concern.

Rick's also the docile one in his relationship with Shane. At the start of winter, Rick tries to convince Shane to move the camp from Atlanta to a safer location, but when Shane angrily refuses, Rick backs down. Shane's clearly the leader of the group, although Rick brought back guns and ammunition, with Glenn's help.

One thing I appreciated is how Kirkman portrays the relationships of the group. They're all from different social and economic levels of a crumbled society. If the zombie outbreak didn't happen, these people would never have anything to do with each other.

I bought Vol. 2 a few weeks ago, and plan on reading it soon.

#5 Rapscallion, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  6. ChronicShmoke

ChronicShmoke Member

I own this. My grandma bought it for me back when I was in the 6th grade. I am now going into my first year at college (I'm 20) so I guess you could say I grew up on The Walking Dead. I use to buy the single issues up till they left the prison then I just read them by trades.

7. supmyman7

supmyman7 Member

I started reading the comics in February but no, I don't have this volume, I have the compendiums. I started reading them digitally, and then bought compendium 1 and 2. Definitely don't regret it. Most of my friends have the volumes though.

8. Zachary P.

Zachary P. Member

I got it. I have volumes 1-16. Waiting on the 17th one. (I got the 17th one now.)

#8 Zachary P., Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  9. mikeoxbig

mikeoxbig New Member

I have EVERY book 1-104 plus the survivors guides and the michone special.

10. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Probably the one and only time you can honestly say you read Playboy for the articles, right? :Grin:

I used to own a copy of the first issue. I should probably check my storage, but I believe I sold it with the majority of my issues to an old friend. If I only I had waited a few more years....

Been reading them digitally for a long time now, though.

11. Lonesome Lurker

Lonesome Lurker Active Member

I have yet to read any of the comics. No point really now.

12. mikeoxbig

mikeoxbig New Member

Haha yeah i used to own them all in actually paper form, but nowadays i just pirate them. (yes i know im horrible)

You dont know how wrong you are. I HIGHLY recommend reading the comics. IMO they are 100% better than the show.

13. Lonesome Lurker

Lonesome Lurker Active Member

I just might, but I'm not a huge fan of comics. I'll look into it.

14. lamj82

lamj82 New Member

I've read all the comics just to compare to the two. The comics are better, but I like Rick's character so far on the show. I'm interested to see how this is going to play out.

15. mikeoxbig

mikeoxbig New Member

Do you think
    O_O

16. lamj82

lamj82 New Member

I heard that Rick won't lose his hand, but I think it would be bad ass. Not sure if I want him as a character to though. Have you watched Talking Dead? I'm also up in the air about the Michonne and Gov thing too.

17. mikeoxbig

mikeoxbig New Member

I have only watched like 2 episodes of talking dead. I doubt they will make him lose his hand, but i really do hope they shoot Carl again.(lol poor kid) Iv been keeping up to date with the comics and i like how badass Carl is getting.

18. lamj82

lamj82 New Member

Carl getting shot again was a bit of a surprise (poor kid!), especially how and where he was shot.

19. ChronicShmoke

ChronicShmoke Member

I would love for Rick to his lose hand. I even predicted that Daryl would be the one to do it. But everyone jumped down my throat and Kirkman seems to have his mind set on letting Rick keep his right hand. Everyone says it would be too hard to film it? But honestly with the TWD's budget, how is it a problem at all?

20. HockeyMomChris

HockeyMomChris Active Member