Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Appreciation and crap - rate it if you will

Discussion in 'Episode 503 - Humbug's Gulch' started by NakedCity, Jun 17, 2019.

1. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

Damn this place is dead. Anyway, I thought this was a way better episode than the first two. If it wasn't for some pretty dumb stuff that threw me off -
    1) the western imagery that was so cheesy
    2) Dwight's drama-queeness and cheapo suicidal tendencies
    3) the San Antonio split (I'm glad Dorie's talents are finally showed to be useful, but that was way too much)
    4) the day-to-night transition between the moment Dorie shoots the San Antonio split and the one where he gets in the car to check on the papers, just why?
    5) and MOST OF ALL, the fact that there's this place where there's - knowingly - alcohol and guns and ammos and that nobody took that stuff in years....
    - that would have been a very good episode.

In spite of it all, I'll give it a good 7/10. I like the Dorie-centered stuff. And Dwight's return was 1000x better than Daniel's. He might even become an interesting part of this group. The kids as villains is kind of dumb, but refreshing too.

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

We basically have the same complaints. The San Antonio Split was worthy of a Disney cartoon. I get that they want to create memorable walker moments, but there are so many more realistic ways to do that. [Prophylactic groan as I can already hear the "you want realism in a show about zombies?" morons. Yes, even a zombie show has rules. It doesn't mean there are unicorns and satisfying rice cakes].

One simple opportunity for a memorable walker moment that I think they missed here was when that tumbleweed and walker briefly bumped into each other, simply to pass in the night. They could have had the tumbleweed attach itself to the front of the walker, blinding it, causing the walker to stumble around, and fall in a horse trough. A little memorable walker moment, without trivializing the laws of physics.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

My main complaint came at the end of the episode when it was revealed that the kids were the ones putting the walker barriers up. Hopefully they're with other people, but my guess is that they're alone. It's giving off the same cheesy vibe as 4B's ridiculous villain.

And why would they want to go through this whole ruse of having the one kid left behind in the van, when Morgan and Alicia haven't been able to find them? It just doesn't make sense.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

First of all where the hell in Texas are they? Last season they made a road trip from the Houston area to Mississippi and back to Texas. THEN this season we see a billboard for a mattress store in El Paso. And now we have dust storms and tumbleweeds? I grew up in southeast Texas and never EVER did I see a tumbleweed nor a dust storm of that magnitude. Perhaps a swirl or two of dust, the occasional minute or two of sand/dust blowing during a wind gust. But not a continuous storm of swirling, twirling dust. Maybe if I had spent time in WEST TEXAS I would have! And let us remember our season 4 alligator, because you know, tons of alligators in West Texas. Climbing those mountains in SE Texas - common past time :rolleyes:. Make up your minds. Southeast Texas or West Texas? Just where the hell are these people that we have, all in the same area, hurricanes, dust storms, swamps, alligators, mountains and tumbleweeds?????
    [​IMG]

Wild west show and the ax trick and all the other crap that transpired during the one sided shoot out at Humbug Gulch. I know I am in the minority (as usual with this show it seems) but I cannot stand the John/June schtick. I am not even sure I would like the characters any better if they were not joined at the hip but I would be willing to give it a try. They are like a glass of sickly sweet southern iced tea...bleh. I cannot stand sweet tea, always order mine unsweetened. Obviously.
    [​IMG]

I love the character of Dwight. And I have been skeptical about his appearance in FTWD. For months I have been holding out hope that they would respect the character. Silly me! Dwight running to the van and then choosing to end it all there while he has an audience of two. UGH, I did not buy it. Cheap story tactic IMO and a poorly executed cheap story tactic. Dwight DWIGHT give up the search and make your way back to Virginia!!!
    [​IMG]

Rate it? Pffft. Okay.

Because of Dwight and how much I like that character - a 5

Without Dwight - a 3

I think next Sunday I will start a re-watch of season 3 - one episode each on Sundays when current season 5 episodes are airing. My own little FU for letting go of Dave Erickson

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/species/alligator/index.phtml

https://rangeplants.tamu.edu/plant/russian-thistle-tumbleweed/

#4 Dnae, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

OMG THE WESTERN CRAP MADE MY EYEBALLS HURT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Literally the only praise I can give this episode is that the writers, finally, figured out how to use exposition to explain something in the story. When John went for the ammo and guns, in what is basically an adventure town, I thought "why would there be real weapons in an amusement park?". Then a few minutes later John said something about him doing gun demos and trick shots. So a quick little line explained something that otherwise would have made no sense.

Beyond that, I'm starting to think that this show is a parody. I'm only watching, at this point, to learn more about the three rings group and how it connects to Rick.

Oh, and are they just going to completely give up on their factory?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

THAT SIGGY!!!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. PepperAnn

I have been looking for him for a while. I finally found him again. LOVE IT. :p:p:p

9. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I LOVE this episode! Laughable that the Gulch would have a gun safe that can be picked by a bobbypin, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Lindigo

Love June's names for trick shots and this dialog:

June: Moonless midnight, John. We can't help anybody if we can't make it back. (teasingly in the spirit of the Gulch)

John: We can make it. (June bug enjoying how it went right over the his head.)

John saying he didn't get involved in the theatrics, and then life pitching him into some gun slinging in the street with --- DWIGHT!!! Great reintro.

John's talk about shooting off a man's finger because he thought the guy knew where June was--and then defending having shot the guy. lol

Maybe the reason I am delighting in all of this so much is that I was a kid in a three-channel TV world with endless reruns of John Ford movies. Even the close up of the car door opening and John's feet hitting the ground. I just love it all.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lindigo

TEN

I was sad to delete the episode.

12. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I would have wanted the tumbleweed to attach to the walker, then the walker just tumbles away. It would have been a lot funnier then the split.

The truth is out there

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I really didn’t like the episode. The whole western town thing was a joke on the writers behalf.
    I know they tried to do the “best walker kill”, but Daryl’s kill of 3, with the chain was still better.

So therefore, I give it a 3 in memory of those walkers.

The truth is out there

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. PepperAnn

@Lindigo looks like you are on your own island. Lololol

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

You know the show is off the rails when I find myself longing for the return of Daryl Dixon!!
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. Lindigo

I'm so lucky! A TV show that is being produced just for my happiness!!!!! :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

This is why I enjoy this forum so much. Even though some of us have different opinions about various aspects of these shows, or in this case entire episodes. There is no shit talking and no attacking one another for having a different opinion. We can disagree and move on. For that, I applaud every member of this forum.

Having said that, the episode still sucked. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. PepperAnn

ROFLMFAO

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

The first step is admitting it, the real question is where are you going to put your Daryl Dixon tattoo? I'm thinking this pic on your shoulder blade. That way you can tell everybody that Daryl has your back.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1