Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Are ships logs still kept in old fashioned journal

Discussion in 'Episode 201 - Monster' started by Lindigo, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I would have expected any boat big enough to have a log would have the info computerized.

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

It didn't seem like that advanced of a boat to me. I think a lot of times hard copies of logs are still kept in case of computer crashing etc.

3. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

Sadly, ships' logs in most boats that size have gone the way of the 8-track. Owners usually have them for day trips (booze cruises), or forget they own them until slip rental is due. Cruisers, people that live aboard and move place to place, by and large, keep a ship's log and a journal. People that own yachts like Abigail need an assistant to help them hit water if they fall overboard. Their hired captains would keep highly detailed ship's logs, maintenance logs, passenger manifests, inventories, and routine safety check off logs.

4. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

You think paper is "Old Fashioned"?

How about "Mouth Words" when talking?

Why should a boat have a computer?

A large computerized yacht sure would but how many pleasure craft out there do you think have computers on board.

5. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

My brother had a good-sized boat and I never was aware of his making any log entries in any format, although he very well may have. This was before computers were everywhere.

I was just curious if, on any boat that would keep a log book, maybe owners would retain info now in something electronic, even an iPad or cellphone or whatever. It seems like many people are never parted from those gadgets for very long. I just wondered if paper log books were another thing that was disappearing, because I was surprised to see one from the Abigail.

6. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

Why are you talking about this show on the internet instead of writing letters to people exchanging ideas about it, or writing a column in a newspaper?

A boat doesn't need a computer, all you need is a cell phone to keep a log. It doesn't even need internet connection. That way you can easily create multiple copies of your log to share and safe keep so you don't lose just one and poof it's gone. I have been to Myanmar, a country that just opened it's economy to the rest of the world and even the people there readily have cell phones. It's 2016 now.

7. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure you think this is making some point that I should comprehend but,it didn't?

My point was simply that of course people still use Paper to log and of course they also now use computers which include phones and tablets again obviously.

Paper is Old Fashioned now?

If this is too abstract to accept then that was really my point in the first place!

Sorry if it came on too strong but…….