Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Article: TWD S8 Midseason Finale Review; What a Joke

Discussion in 'Episode 808 - How It's Gotta Be' started by Rapscallion, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

2. batongal

batongal Active Member

I actually agree with everything the article states.:eek:

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier New Member

This sums up my post perfectly.

Sent fra min G8141 via Tapatalk

4. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Oh my God!
    You have returned?
    I was so worried that you only signed up here to leave too.

5. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

One "critic's" opinion. BFD.
    I disagree with it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Zombie_Rhino

Zombie_Rhino Well-Known Member

i dont agree that its a horrible show - but it is definitely not as good as it was early on. but then again, Kirkman's comics have gotten progressively worse since they ended up in Alexandria as well. the whole human vs human conflict just isn't that appealing to people who want this show to be a unique end of the world human vs zombie apocalypse show

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. jiggeryqua

jiggeryqua Active Member

I'm not sure it's ever been unique in its treatment of humans v zombies, except that it lasts longer than a film and isn't as risible as Z Nation. Nobody else is doing this, so there's nothing to compare it to.

I always read the Forbes review. I think it was the previous episode's review where he finally liked something about a show he's been directing ill-informed criticism at for a long while now. Often, as with Rick & co shooting the Sanctuary windows, he chooses not to think what the good reason might be (or perhaps he's as stupid as he constantly claims the writers are...that makes sense, actually, it would seem to explain a lot of the hate).

But yes, he's doubled down on it now. As if a zombie survival soap opera in its eighth season was ever going to win any awards. That's not what it's for. Enjoy it for what it is, or enjoy being with the cool kids who hate it so much they can't stop talking about it (sounds like love to me...)

• Like Like x 2
  8. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

Personally I think the all-time original and proverbial "nail in the coffin" was when they got rid of Frank Darabont, and I really don't care why it had to happen or whatever the reason, I had a good feeling then that this show would slowly but surely get wrose and wrose and wrose.
    It would take time, which it did.

On another note...
    King Ezekiel was one of the more annoying characters to me, mostly because it was all a put-on... If the guy had been a real king I would've been ok with it, but some guy play-acting in the middle of the ZA quite simply doth not become leader of a commune (and having a tiger really wouldn't have helped any in that regard, more like people would've fled scared).

And more...
    "Watching Gimple fire my son 2 weeks before his 18th birthday after telling him they wanted him for the next three years was disappointing,"
    LOL yes I am sure it was, however I'm used to corporate bureaucracy and lies like these are all too common in the corporate world, never ceases to amaze me but in corporate America that's par for the course... Why do you think I became self-employed?
    The corporate empty suits and yes men can irritate me to tears to this day.

The trash people don't irritate me too much, or no more than the island Amazons.

p.s.: Yes I realize I misspelled wrose, it's on purpose.

#8 8307c4, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  9. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

I think the first 4, maybe 5 seasons really hit the spot. The struggle, the insecurity. The fight or flight, for survival, for food, for water, against your own friends. Zombies was in the center of problems but the problems was humans. But lighter. Now zombies are in the side lines and weapons are non issue, so is seemingly food and water.

But I still think Walking Dead least upholds it's legacy better than a show like Game of Thrones for example which is a bit lost without George R R Martins books. Or a show like Z Nation which did not know what it wanted and just changed the rules of zombies on a wim. Same with The Strain which is a pretty good show but then also had pretty laughable events and how no one in America cares about New York having a whole island or what it is, infested with vampires. Also the kid in that show...Jesus! Carl's Chandler Riggs is a wonder actor in comparison. The TWD is flawed and pretty damn broken at times, FTWD is the same but also refreshing in it's way. But the competition really gives AMC no rush to fix things. For me, the only show with zombies and human drama fighting against TWD is FTWD. So....

• Like Like x 2
  10. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

Every now and then I'll see what Erik Kain had to say in his Forbes reviews, and while I agree with his frustrations with the premiere, he generally relies way too much on hyperbole and seems genuinely eager to cast the show in the worst light possible for reasons I don't think he's completely thought through. He also seems to hate particular characters with little regard to the nuace and context in which they're portrayed.

I think he hated 807 and Eugene in particular... That was a tough read and probably the greatest disagreement I have had with him all season.

Then again, I think it's always been a popular critic trend to bash TWD more than usual since 616. Like, I rewatched season 7 and it was a strong season in my opinion. The flaws are more glaring and the quality of the writing has unfortunately diminished noticeably, but TWD still puts out more good episodes per season than duds compared to most other shows.

I think critics have let their emotions about the 616 cliffhanger cloud their judgement when reviewing... Like, it seems like hate for the sake of hate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

I agree! People treat Game of Thrones as the next coming of Messiah and seemingly mostly whines on the time it takes to make season 8, 1,5 year. No one really complains it is super short and question WHY it will take 1,5 year to finish 7 episodes. Nor do people question the extreme drop in depth and quality in Game of Thrones. But The Walking Dead and Fear The Walking Dead has become standard and bit stale, we grown used to it and people go nuts but oh my White Walkers and Jon Snow and Daenarys! COooooooooool.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

Forbes put out negative reviews about Season 7 GoT, but yes, the show has largely received widespread acclaim (which I believe is deserving, as I enjoy the show very much).

What really bothered me about the GoT fandom, which is also relevant to TWD fandom, is the seemingly contradictory and extreme turn in their opinion of the show. Seasons 1-6 of GoT were seen as essentially a standard for quality TV and then when Season 7 came along friends who are die hard fans of the show described it as "sh!t" "garbage" and "crap" televison. I was SO confused. I guess I am fascinated by fan psychology because how in the world does a show go from your favorite show to absolute garbage...

Idk about other cultures, but I think Americans rely way to much on expressing themselves in etreme ways in addition to having an issue with immediacy. That is, if the episode doesn't immediately entertain you, then it sucks, and if that happen 2-3 times in a row, then the show sucks and you quit... I feel older generations sans DVR and Netflix were more loyal to their shows and stuck with them week to week, even during a slump.

#12 GrungeMan, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Im European, Nordic at that. We are often more "stoic" in our opinions t hat we do not state them and just go like "well...this is it..." or so I been told, But I can be very crazy around here and spout out my dislike for Walking Dead at times :) But with the passion comes my care for the show, much like Game of Thrones. My big fuss with GoT is that I noticed a decline in the story and quality after they ran out of books to take material from.

Im not going to abandoned Walking Dead, Fear the Walking Dead or Game of Thrones. All the three shows entertain me even if I find some things stupid or plain out boring. The overall concept of the shows are still some of the best I seen on TV and I even prefer them ahead of movies. Movies are rushed, Walking Dead is not, they can afford few episode of character build up even if it sometimes is a bit of a drag to watch Morgan kick cans or Rick pulling zombie herds around Alexandria for half a season to end it with him killing em all. It is still, Walking Dead.

And it always ticks me that people forgot the Swedes on those shows! Von Sydow as the Three Eyed Raven! And Mercedes Mason (I think she married now) was born in Sweden. as Ofelia in Fear The Walking Dead! ;(

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

LOL I was totally gonna ask you what a wrose was since you did it 3 times, I figured it must be a new word. :p

15. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

It’s very possible that people are just numb to the ZA, and now find it boring or lame.

The same happened to the X-Files

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Zombie_Rhino

Zombie_Rhino Well-Known Member

part of it has to be the unrealistic nature of how the main characters get into so much trouble and proceed to get out of that trouble. like how many different groups of similar bad guys can we run into in this apocalyptic world? Woodbury, the claimers, Terminus, the Wolves, Saviors, etc. it's too much and all too similar

17. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I'm still happy as a clam. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

The surviving Termites should've followed Team Family up the East Coast until Rick kept his promise to Gareth.

The Wolves could've been an interesting threat for the first half of S6. It also would've given the Alexandrians faith in Rick and put him and Morgan at odds.

The Scavengers are just Gimple's baby. Having a group butcher the English language and live in a junkyard just 3 years into the apocalypse makes no frigging sense. :mad:

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

I actually think that what's going on now is an improvement from the Season 7 garbage.

Some of the character dynamics now are great.

After enduring Aikido man Morgan in S6 and a cartoon tiger, there's no way the mid season finale is an all time low joke by comparison. I am engaged with it again after almost checking out for good.

It's not "great', as in the glorious TV it was in it's first 5 seasons, which is still my favorite show of all time -- but it's definitely an improvement over the recent BS and had some upside if they can continue not being lame as **** -- which is hopeful.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

My counter to that is having watched documentaries and seeing how various factions act in 3rd world war zones -- they get really, really oddball crazed over sometimes.

Liberian civil war featured guerilla army factions dressed up like Barbie dolls while hopped up on narcotics -- not joking.

The garbage pail kids as silly as it seems are definitely at least fathomable.