Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Article: TWD S8 Midseason Finale Review; What a Joke

Discussion in 'Episode 808 - How It's Gotta Be' started by Rapscallion, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Yeah, it's stale for TV. The counter to that though is that life is and humans are incredibly repetitive.

Watch a Presidential debate from 1980 and see what it is they were discussing. Same exact shit.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

That was fascinating to learn. Thanks.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/the_gist/2003/08/scare_tactics.html

3. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

I do believe at least for me that's the case and because of that I'm not so sure if the show has gotten wrose.... Hmmmm....Worse?
    Or if it's just me.

Because I "get" this show, after so many episodes I know what it's about.... Sure they can stick more bad guys and more of this and that and the other in there but after the xxth episode there were times I'd fall asleep because it's like a grind... Uhm yup there's the zombs again, bash in some heads or shoot them, mk.... Ooops some dood got bit, oh well he's a goner and OMG the BAD guy (but we know who is going to win because if good guys don't win it's show over).

There was a time TWD would get my adrenaline going, I couldn't wait for 9p Sunday night but it's not the first show... I watch several shows (most are reality TV) and after so many seasons it just becomes repetitive and to a point boring.

Not sure exactly when it happened but I want to say sometime into the Negan bit, I was good with Alexandria at first.... Especially the drama with that abusive husband and his wife and the bit with Nicholas and a few other dramas were pretty good but now...

Where do we go from here, after Negan gets beat?
    Do they move again, is Alexandria toast?
    And whether they go or stay won't it all be same old same old....

4. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

When David(Maulder) left the X-Files, the show lost a lot of viewers. I stuck with it. The show did lack the same chemistry from the earlier seasons, but it was still ok.
    But once the show ended, and we had the overall story, I’m glad i wasn’t one of the quitters.
    It is why I watch the new season in January. And why i will watch TWD to the end.
    The overall story.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

FTWD has become the Madison show and nothing else. She can't carry it, and I liked Kim Dickens on the Tremé. This is the problem with telling a mediocre story as a soap opera when you have no idea of the big picture and where these stories are going. I believe Gimple has a lot to do with that lack of direction.

6. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

I was highly disappointed to see the Ranch and Indian tribe ark just got flushed out for more weird shit in Mexico and the south-west American Negan Light in Proctor.

7. Lumbrjak

Lumbrjak New Member

Sorry this is my first post, but you've gotta start somewhere...

I think the Forbes review does a solid job of laying out many of the problems with this series this season.

I'd go a little further than Eric, though, on some of the technical problems with this show... The cinematography has never been a strong point for TWD, but recently is downright awful. 808 verged on unwatchable because it was dark to the point you could not follow much of the action. Sloppy editing and awkward staging also blunt many moments that should have had dramatic impact.

But the biggest weakness is clearly the writing... Eugene's garbled nonsensical dialogue is so cartoonish it's nearly impossible to feel anything for this character that's playing a major role in this "All Out War".

I want so much to stay invested in Rick, but his incomprehensible plans that continue to fail and get valued members of his clan killed season after season makes it sooo difficult.

I suppose I will continue to watch considering I've put in 8 seasons already, but the poor quality of technical aspects and writing are making the show a slog to watch....

• Like Like x 2
  8. jiggeryqua

jiggeryqua Active Member

I don't see it as that solid a job. "For some reason, none of Maggie's people jump out of their car with their guns to shoot at Simon and his troops." The reason ought to be obvious. They're packed 4 to a car with unwieldy assault rifles (safetys on?) and have no idea where the Saviors are or whether they have a .50 cal. Trying to start a wild firefight in the dark is not a sane decision. "Why not take Maggie prisoner?" Because they are a small group, busy leading the herd away. Because they are tired and hungry and have priorities - which don't include a disarmed, re-subjugated bunch of farmers.

The review is full of questions like that. I guess it's not a show for people who don't like to think for themselves.

I'll partly agree with you on some odd, lacklustre or sub-optimal staging, but I really didn't struggle to see the episode's action. What kit are you using?

As an Aspergian, I dig Eugene's language jazz, daddy-o. I expect there are shows available that don't play decadent, dangerous jazz... But don't you dare claim it's 'garbled' - the actor ensures it isn't - or 'nonsensical'. Not understanding something yourself doesn't render it 'nonsensical'.

With you on this one, wholeheartedly. No wonder people are going rogue on him.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

Well that's why a lot of us are watching even though we don't like this entire season. We're hoping, preying it's just a slump. Since when was it a rule that if you like a show you have to like every episode/every season? When people say it's shit they mean NOW, they aren't referring to the old seasons that they liked.

10. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

You're right. Loving a show doesn't require one become an apologist for the show, but that's not what I am saying. I am more or less commenting on the extreme way that some fans, such as the author of that Forbes article, express their displeasure with the show. For example, one reviewer stated Season 7 of GoT ruined the story, the show, etc... C'mon. That's a rather silly statement...

Imo, I just think it hurts the credibility of his claims and reviews (as well as other authors) when some of his paragraphs reduce down to "uh, what utter garbage, this show sucks so much now. Crap. Crap. Crap." and "how come they do not just do x, y, z in this situation. So stupid!"... when as @jiggeryqua pointed out, that the answers to those questions are not all that difficult to speculate on nor the characters decisions difficult to understand.

Don't get me wrong.. This and just about every other review article for TWD episodes raise valid criticisms and concerns about the quality of the show, as they should, but it's usually couched in what I consider increasingly more common hyperbole and baseless negativity about the show.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I think criticisms of a hugely popular show get far more clicks and attention than if he were to write an entire article about how great it is, and he's trying to get clicks and people to read his article so he's feeding into the criticisms he's hearing from a loud portion of fans.

I get the impression that after Gimple pissed people off with dumpstergate and the Abe/Glenn cliffhanger, people started watching it with a negative bias whether they'll admit it or not. For me, even though I wasn't a fan of those particular cliffhangers I moved on and the show has since redeemed itself in my eyes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

Yep. I think it's definitely in fashion for reviewers, critics, and simply fans alike to bash mainstream shows. It's a natural cycle I suppose... First you're not "in the know" or "hip" unless you watch the show, and then after five seasons or so of an immensely popular show you're not "hip" unless you completely crap on it's quality and opine about "how it's not as good as it used to be"... haha I think being a show hipster is totally a thing and that Forbes guy is definitely riding that wave of negativity in order to get clicks, views, or whatever...

In my humble opinion... This show has it's flaws that I desperately want them to fix and my intuition is that killing Carl is probably going to turn out to really hurt the show, but TWD is still easily one of the best shows on television. I've actually quite enjoyed this first half. I believe the show has redeemed itself from those mistakes too... now we just need to patiently see if it can bounce back from losing Carl.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Hambone1950

Hambone1950 New Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Welcome...to...the forum...

[​IMG]

15. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

LOL.....Forbes....

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

First things first....dungeon count now stands at 28, newest cast away landed today

Second....Forbes
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2