Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Be Well in 2016

Discussion in 'Sports' started by TheWalkingHorn, Dec 29, 2015.

1. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

I've been doing a lot of thinking about my routine, and it's time for some drastic changes. It's the only way to get out of this rut, and I really want to test myself physically and mentally. I just want to prove some things to myself that have been a long time coming.

Before I go into what my plan is, I just want to say that I hope everyone will be well in 2016. Whatever that might mean for you. Whether it does involve health and fitness, or maybe finding time for yourself if you're a busy parent, ending a toxic relationship, or maybe even going out on a limb and starting a new relationship that's been in the works. Just be happy and love yourself. I would highly encourage you to love and treat your body well. Drink more water, eat more whole foods, and enjoy the outdoors when you can. Spend time with friends, find what makes you happy, and make time for that activity every week!

Now onto my plan. On Monday I will be starting a new lifting routine outlined by Michael Matthews in his book "Thinner, Leaner, Stronger" which is designed for women who want to start lifting weights regularly to change how their body looks and works. I'll be on a 3-day plan (meaning I lift 3 days/week) but I plan to move to the 4 day plan once school lets out for summer. I'll be cutting back on Camp Gladiator, and only going 2-3 days per week instead of my usual 5. On the days that I lift I'm supposed to do minimal cardio, but I'll try to do 15-20 minutes on the stair mill to work up a good sweat. You continue with a lifting routine for 8 weeks, and then on the 9th week you take a break from all lifting. When you start back up there is a new lifting series for another 8 weeks. Here's phase 1:

My nutrition is getting overhauled quite a bit. I had a body analysis that was a complete slap in the face, and it especially hurt since I've lost 52 lbs and so I thought I was doing really well. Anyway, this is an idea of what my day will look like:

I'm not doing all of the supplements that are outlined week by week, I'm only following the "When Do I Eat" plan (minus the protein cookie since those are expensive), and of course following the non-negotiable rules. No more fruit :(.

And lastly, during each phase of the weightlifting I'm going to be giving up TWDF. I need to be using my time more wisely, and I want to try and do things that are good for my brain with my extra time (ie: reading, meditating).

So, friends, I'll see you all in 8 weeks. Be well. <3

2. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

good luck Horn, can you at least keep in touch on your phone while you're using the bathroom? it would be considered multi-tasking you know :)looking forward to a before and after pic!

3. frawniemae

frawniemae Well-Known Member

Melissa, it sounds like you have a great year ahead of you. I know you will succeed in whatever you attempt. AFA I go...I'm still doing Ideal Protein, but I have relaxed a bit and allow myself a "cheat day" once or twice a month. On those days I eat pretty much what I want but I limit myself quite a bit on the quantity. A buffet where I can get a bite of most anything I might have had a craving for in the past year is where you can find me on those cheat days! My new life is going well and life as a full time rver is awesome as well! 2016 looks to be headed in such an awesome direction! I can hardly wait to see where it takes me!

4. TheWalkingHorn

Ugh, things have not gone as planned. Had a health scare after starting my new routine, and have come to the realization that I've got some sort of something going on. I dunno. I'm fine though.

5. Berry

Berry Member

This sounds scary, you ok? Please get checked out by a doctor if you haven't already. Hope it's nothing serious.

If you get cleared to continue at the gym, here's what I do when re-starting a weightloss routine:

6. TheWalkingHorn

So I've got just over 2 months until I see Beyonce in Chicago and I bought white skinny jeans to wear to the concert. #squats

[​IMG]

7. TheWalkingHorn

Update on my weightloss

So I've been at it for almost 2 years now, and it's been slow going, but I'm happy with all of the changes. I have learned so much about nutrition and fitness in that time. Small little tidbits that have built up to a vast knowledge of how much we overeat, consume unnecessary animal products, and do not properly utilize the muscles nature gave us to survive and do work. Anyway, I'm not to my overall goal yet, but I finally see light at the end of the tunnel.

This was when I started here on the forum:

And this is me now:

8. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

You looked great then, and you look great now but I can definitely see a difference - all that hard work has paid off. Great job :) Now you can pass all of your knowledge onto the kiddos! You're like Mrs. Obama up in here.

Oh, and about the mirror...i posted a pregnancy pic a couple years back and there were toothpaste spots on the mirror that i hoped no one would notice. LOL.

#8 Jen7, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  9. southernlady

southernlady Well-Known Member

I'm training for my first full marathon and am thinking about adding TRX suspension training to my fitness plan. Has anyone ever used this? I'm looking for honest feedback, I don't trust the comments on the website :)

10. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I haven't, but i just wanted to wish you luck on your first marathon :) I'm starting with a 10k in May...I know it's only 6 miles, but I don't have a lot of time to run so it'll be a challenge for me to run the entire thing!

11. southernlady

There is no such thing as "only" - it's a challenge and you will do awesome!! It is def something to be proud of, and you'll get your medal collection started :)

Thanks! I was nervous when I registered for the full and thought I must be nuts! But I think I can do it. I just know I need my body to be strong to carry me 26.2 miles.

12. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Thank you! :) My daughter happens to turn 2 on the day of the marathon, so it's definitely a personal challenge for me as a mom. In addition to that, my sister who lives in Vegas is going to run it with me when she's in town, and sibling rivalry is kicking in ;) I can't have her waiting for me at the finish line.

You can do it! When is your marathon? You should let us know how it goes!

13. southernlady

Show your sister who is boss!!! I think it's a wonderful way to celebrate your daughter's birth, not only celebrating the beautiful life you have brought into this world but also how you take care of yourself for your daughter! What is your anticipated pace?

My full is February 5th. I got ready for a half marathon in six weeks so I really think I can do this. I'm not fooling myself, I know it will be one hell of a challenge and it will be hard. I have done six half marathons and realized how far I had come during the last one I did. When I ran my first half I got to mile 9 and thought oh God, 4 more miles :( The last half I got to mile 9 and thought wow, only 4 miles to go lol. So on to the next challenge! I'm going to shoot for a 13 mile pace since this is a full.

14. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Well it sounds like you're definitely ready for the full marathon! I have no doubt you'll pull it off...maybe this time next year i'll be running a half :) I liked running as a kid, but then as a teen and adult i thought people were crazy for running long distances lol. Now here I am. My best friend ran a half marathon a few years ago, and i went to watch...i loved the atmosphere at the finish line and all the runners coming in. I decided i wanted to do it, so i started training...then i got pregnant lol.

Oh and i'm not sure about pace yet - right now i'm just trying to work up to running the entire thing lol. I'm sloowwwww.

15. southernlady

A 16 minute mile is the same distance as an 8 minute mile :) All that matters is that you cross the finish line! Have you tried the Galloway method? I love it - especially for endurance racing. It's a walk/run method and allows your muscles to recover in between intervals. I find my pace is quicker as well!

Crossing the finish line gives you such a sense of accomplishment, as it should! It's a reward for all of the work you do to get there! Just keep at it and you will do your half (and maybe a full!). Consistency is the key but at the same time don't overdo it. I only run three times a week. I've been doing PiYo twice a week but really want to ramp up the strength training. Although I will continue to do some Yoga as well, Yoga is great for runners.

16. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the Galloway method, though i do run and walk lol. I'll have to check that out...

That's encouraging that you run 3 times a week, because i mostly run on both Saturday & Sunday and then maybe a day or two during the week. I have a 9-5 job, and then by the time my daughter goes to bed i am exhausted so it's been difficult to find time during the week.

I love PiYo! I have the DVDs by Chalene Johnson...i should dust them off ;) I also have her Turbo Fire DVDs and i noticed back when i was doing them regularly, i was able to run longer distances because they are really intense cardio workouts (with HIIT mixed in). I think it really helped my endurance. So i should also get those back out for the times when i can't get out for a run.

17. southernlady

Oh, I forgot about Turbo Fire, I have those too - I should dig those out as well :) I really like Chalene. It's really good to cross train.

I am always amazed at you moms, having a full time job and then little ones at home as well! It's good you try to find time for yourself though, a healthy mom is important. My boys both have four legs so it's easier for me. My job can be demanding at times but I try to keep a balance. I really wanted to go over to Galveston and do the Run Like Diva half, but I have to work at Jazz Fest for a client event so that was out. It's still on my bucket list though!

18. TheWalkingHorn

[​IMG]

I love TRX bands because they're great at isolating specific muscles, yet you're still getting a core workout no matter what you're doing. I would also suggest them over free weights since you're looking to strengthen your muscles and maybe build muscle endurance for your long runs. Free weights might end up making you a bit too bulky (people say that's almost impossible, and usually it is, but if you're already a fit person it IS possible for them to make you bulky). Anyway, just my two cents.

19. southernlady

Fabulous, this is the type of feedback I am looking for! Thanks

20. TheWalkingHorn

My favorite moves with them are pistol squats (holding the bands in front of you and doing one legged squats). And then the opposite of that (not sure what they're called), where the bands are hanging behind you, and you put one foot into the handles while squatting with the other leg. You can also do squat jumps while holding the bands.

Some other exercises that I often did with them were overhead tricep extensions, chest press, chest fly, rows, bicep curls, and then an ab exercise where you get on your hands and knees and place your feet in the straps. Then you hover in them with hands flat on the ground and crunch your knees up. UHHH-mazing ab workout!