Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Beating on a kid

Discussion in 'Episode 1004 - Silence the Whisperers' started by BlackBird, Oct 28, 2019.

1. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

Negan was always shown to be good with kids. He had a somewhat twisted but definitely soft spot for Carl, and now Judith and Lydia. I think he might have been a really good teacher. Weird as it is.

The only time his appreciation of kids was in question, (and his words "beating on a kid" brought back these bitter memories) when this happened:

[​IMG]

Much as I hated his guts back then, I wanted to believe he was bluffing, and he wouldn't have hurt Carl. But it was very borderline. Like even he didn't know what he was going to do. And to be frank, even if he wasn't going to do it, just putting him through this was f**ked up. Second time too.
    So Daryl and Michonne being sceptical about how much he cares for Lydia and Judith is totally justified, even if we have only been shown positives so far. He was supposed to be fond of Carl too.

Your thoughts?

2. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

What you said above underscores perfectly why you can’t really trust this guy. Maybe he interacts better with kids cause he doesn’t interact well with adults, but then again, he was going to execute Carl so he’ll do whatever, depending on the moment.

Didn’t he also threaten to cut Carl’s hand off at one point to get Rick to do what he wanted? Talk about messed up. I know he was betting on a father’s love for his kid to get what he wanted but really, what if Rick hadn’t come through. Would he have maimed the boy? Now he’s muttering about beating a kid.

3. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

I love Negan, but man it makes no sense they'd keep him alive. Your little gif is a perfect reminder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I meant by this being the second time threatening Carl with violence. He was actually making Rick cut Carl's hand off in lieu of all his friends' lives, or something along those lines. I could never rewatch that episode. I just remember Carl saying "do it, dad" which traumatised me for life. Honestly, I do get the people who stopped watching after 7x01.

[Side note: My husband refused to watch that episode, the lineup scenario at the end of S6 was enough to turn him off. I think he would probably enjoy the show now (except for baby killing and pike scene) but I don't think you can just skip two seasons. It's not enough to be told what's happened, you had to go through all the shit to fully appreciate what we have now.]

Yes, once a person is capable of such cruelty, physical and psychological, you can never feel completely safe around them. No matter how much they have changed, we can't forget that if they were once capable, they do have it in them still, somewhere, no matter how deep down. It's there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Oh yes, that was it. I remember feeling a bit queasy with all those Negan encounters. I fell for the redeemed villain bit once with the Governor and then we saw his true nature reassert itself. Not happening for me again with Negan as much as I love the RL actor.

I so agree that a person like you describe might be able to repress those feelings, sometimes for long periods of time but you never can predict when they might resurface.

I feel for your hubby. Sometimes I think I’m only watching with one eye open while I wince, lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1