Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Been thinking about Beth & Daryl

Discussion in 'Episode 412 - Still' started by lbshasc, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Machete

Machete Active Member

Yeah, I didn't really mean I want them to ignore relationships altogether... It just seems that is the primary focus of this forum lately, which I find frustrating... I definitely don't want the show to just focus on people getting together... that would be lame imo.

2. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

You all are just some hopeless romantics!

Thats so sweet.

Whatever happened to the idea of hooking up for the fun of it?

3. Doomhed

Doomhed Member

and That is EXACTLY why they will do it. The show is all about putting you off your giblets.

For Beth it is perfect- a boyfriend that won't up and get eaten.

For Daryl, it is even more perfect- a mostly helpless girl who needs him to protect her. He needs a reason to keep going, and she is it.

4. cmstomps

cmstomps Member

I've honestly thought that probably more people would be hooking up in the ZA (at least if they didn't feel threatened, which is almost never). And I don't mean romance at all - that actually seems less likely to me than people just hooking up because they both want to/need to re-affirm life/whatever. Call it "friends with benefits" maybe, and I think Darryl and Carol were ideal for this type of connection. I can't really see them, "in love" at all, but hooking up because they like each other and they need/want to, absolutely. I actually thought it was gonna happen when Carol pulled that, "Wanna make out?" on guard duty, but I guess she was just making a joke about Glen and Maggie or something. Now, Darryl and Beth? If they sleep together it will seem a lot more like romance, and less believable to me, and pretty unhealthy for both of them I think.

5. Silky

Silky Member

You guys are bugging if you think Daryl is in his 20's. I mean Norman is like late 40's and looks even bit of it with those bags and wrinkles under his eyes. They dye Daryl's hair and give him that goofy model cut to make him look younger.

6. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

I've always disliked the shipper fad for shows. People get too attached.

7. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

**round of applause**

It took Daryl an awful long time to have any type of relationship, with anyone in the group. Even when he did begin to establish one, he flip flopped, when the emotions became too much to handle.

8. thewalkingmummy

He actually looked much younger in season 1. Back then, I would have believed he was in his 20's for sure. Late 20's though :zombies_lol: I think if they went back to that Daryl, a romance with Beth wouldn't be out of the question...

9. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

Yes exactly .. if you compare those early S1 pics of Daryl and now, he did look like a young kid in his 20's back then. Now he's looking his age.

In the show Daryl is almost twice Beth's age (18-19 to 35ish), so for a romance, it's pushing the boundries a bit. Not to sound prudish or anything.

10. Natta

Natta Member

I don't see the age gap to be "pushing the boundaries" at all, I don't get how people think that. It's a fictional tv drama. Does it really matter? Age is just a number, especially in the zombie apocalypse.

11. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

What I meant was, in the context of a very popular TV show, on a basic cable channel, they may have to conform a bit now and then, to keep from alienating that portion of the viewers that might take it the other way.

That's what the 'boundries' comment was all about basically.

Personally I agree with you that age is just a number, and am happy with what ever way they go with them.

#31 jj_vsp, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  12. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

We should have a big reveal that Beth didn't want to admit it but she's actually 22 or 23. Then ereveal that Darrell is younger than expected and is actually 30. Then they can continue with this romance that really is meant to be IMO!

Then, if people are upset, they can be upset that they were silly enough to think a grown 28 year old woman actually looked like she was 19. The joke would be on them and the romance that would do wonders for both their characters can be.

When did they show ever even say Beth's age? If they never explicity said it, they can EASILY write a scene in saying she is 22 or 23 and make it canon. ditto with Darrell's and just make him 30 to be canon, he never said his age either.

To me it is hilarious where people's priorities are when people can get chopped in half and have their intestines being eaten while they are still alive, and its OK - but if two people who are in love and 10 years apart are dating, it's a crime against humanity. I don't see their logic, but to each their own I suppose.

#32 Spidey, Mar 6, 2014
  13. Natta

Natta Member

I know right? Honestly I think Beth and Daryl are meant to be, they are perfect for each other, it'd be such a wonderful romance, not a painful boring one like Rick & Lori or Glenn & Maggie.

It was stated at the start of season 3 Beth was 17 though, so she is at least 18/19 by now, not that it matters at all, shes legal. And about alienating a portion of viewers that might not like it, I highly doubt all that many people will care. Especially the general audience of this show, which are all totally okay with people being decapitated and intestines being eaten.

Or they are Carol/Daryl shippers and will not be missed anyway

#33 Natta, Mar 6, 2014
  14. Daae

Daae Well-Known Member

Do you think Beth wanting a drink was a way of celebrate her birthday? It looks like symbolic passage to adulthood.

15. annaflyte

annaflyte Member

Honestly that is where I thought she was going with that. "Im 21 now".

Who knows.

Given this new promo I really feel like something is up. Hand holding, hugs, this, they are all kinda meh on their own but combined all together in such a short time it really hints towards a relationship. I really dont think its deniable now unless they are just planning on killing her off soon.

16. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

He did look much younger. Plus, his voice was more high pitched, I thought it was almost squeaky in S1. His impulsiveness and immature behavoir, added to the overall "young" impression.

17. Silky

Silky Member

The age difference is a natural question to ask for me. I haven't seen anyone making it into a crime against humanity. There is nothing wrong with simply bringing it into question. Why do people have to get so bent out of shape about that?

18. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

No, we can't. The soap opera aspect is what makes TWD great. If it was just a show about killing zombies, who'd watch that over and over? Btw, before this episode there's no WAY I'd want to see a Beth/Daryl matchup, but now? I could see it, and actually would look forward to it.

19. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I agree about Glenn and Maggie, it doesn't feel real to me either. OTOH, while I really hate Lori for what she did to Rick (and to Shane), I understand her ambivalence, and feel her character was much more real, if awful.

20. Kingston50

Kingston50 Well-Known Member

This is true. Daryl and Beth have better chemistry than Glen and Maggie. Shoot, Daryl and Rick have better chemistry than Glen and Maggie. Personally, I don't get the hype surrounding the Glen/Maggie coupling. I've always struggled to see the chemistry between the actors and the romance itself is so contrived. I can't even get emotionally invested because the writers failed to make their romance palpable in the first place.

I don't ship Beth and Daryl, but I can understand why some do because they had an interesting dynamic in the last episode. I also love Carol and Daryl's connection. So maybe Reedus just plays well off of the two actresses McBride and Kinney.