Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Before and After

Discussion in 'Volume 22: A New Beginning' started by jwcoombs, May 20, 2014.

1. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

#1 jwcoombs, May 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
  2. jwcoombs

Here's a couple more; Paula(Nicholas' wife) and Olivia--

Paula doesn't look to awful different; but it's apparent that Olivia has lost some weight. She must not be the one in charge of the commissary anymore; most likely why she's picking the orchard dry in 127. LOL

[​IMG]

3. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Still trying to get used to Eugene. I keep thinking it's Dwight.

4. jwcoombs

LOL. Yeah he definitely looks different. But it's grown on me, I'm really liking it. It' like his physical appearance has directly mirrored his personal growth. As he worked to redeem himself, finding his inner strength and honor, as well as a courage and selflessness he never knew he was capable of; his appearance became more rugged, and stoic, and imposing as he evolved. Now, he is a man of purpose and substance, invaluable and irreplaceable in his role in the community. His new look perfectly depicts this completed ascension. He now looks suave yet rugged, strong and capable but not brutish; respectable. Like a revered leather-clad, 17th century Spaniard atop his mighty stallion, leading the cavalry to battle.
    [​IMG]

But, my absolute personal favorite new look is hands down, Andrea. She's adopted this new rugged, stoic, intimidating "Man with No Name" look. Like she just stepped straight of the set of "Fistful of Dollars". Which couldn't be more perfectly befitting of her role. After all, she's the gang's official gunslinger. The crack-shot, the cowboy, the hired gun. Her exploits with firearms will undoubtedly become the stuff of legend in the post-plague world. She's the Jesse James of the apocalypse. She's even toting her trusty rifle around in an old school saddle scabbard!(fun fact--Andrea was the only person shown still actively carrying a gun in 127. And her rifle was one of only two firearms shown in the entire 55 page issue. The other being a rifle sitting on the top of Magna's horse-drawn cart.). I love this look though, mostly because I'm a huge spaghetti western fan. But a zombie apocalypse isn't much different from the wilds and lawlessness of the the western frontier; as well as the dreamy concept of manifest destiny--t he very same dream that seems to keep Rick going despite all the adversity.

Anyway, if I had to give it a name, I would say Andrea's new groove is the perfect combination of Clint Eastwood's "Man with No Name" and Sharon Stone's character from "The Quick and the Dead".
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. jwcoombs

6. lewh

lewh Member

Woah I didn't realise how much weight Eugene had actually lost! I haven't liked him since I found out he was lying about the radio, but he has definitely redeemed himself as a viable asset to the group in the later issues. Rick will take some getting used to but I really like his look! I'm hoping they drop the glasses after a few issues with Carl though, and bring back his hat!

7. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

My favourite transformations are Eugene & Jesus.

I like Negan's new look too.

Worst transformation award is tied between Rick & Carl. Carl looks like a surfer stoner and Rick looks like an old man who has given up..

8. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Where is Carl's/Rick's hat? Did we see it at all in #127? I can't remember now.

9. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I don't like Carl's look either (are those zombie teeth on his necklace?), but I do like how it represents he's going through that pre-teen "awkward stage."

10. TyberiusFox

TyberiusFox Well-Known Member

Wow, it's great seeing them side-by-side! Thanks for posting!

I love how Andrea hardly looks any different.

And what up with Carl's necklace? They almost look like teeth. Did I miss something?

11. Agramer

Agramer Well-Known Member

Thanks for the mention! I wanted to make a thread like this one, but looks like someone had made it before me. ;)

Anyway, if I have to choose the worst transformation, that would be Carl. His hair and glasses look weird IMO. Rick looks much older now, mainly because of his cane and longer beard.

It's good to see Olivia and Eugene have lost some weight. They definitely look better. Negan looks cool and kinda reminds me of Jesus.

12. MantisTaboganMD

After seeing this image, I don't think that's teeth on his necklace. I mean, it could be I guess they would be rotted enough.
    [​IMG]
    And personally I don't think Rick really looks that much older, other than the cane obviously, its just that the short hair was jarring at first.

13. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

Yeah... As one of the designated Carl fans, I have to say my first reaction was:
    [​IMG]
    I mean, I can understand the hair-eyepatch could get old. And a standard eyepatch can be awkward... But did how long did he scour the area to find that dweeby set of goggles? Patrick would be proud.

I DO think the teeth necklace is cool. I'm not sure-- they're either from memorable zombie kills, or he's been slowly taking them from Negan.

But goddamn... Find some other glasses.

On Rick, my prediction is that in 129, the hook breaks and he swaps it out for Merle's rig.

14. Dave Himura

Dave Himura Member

Havent read this issue yet, but i saw the image of Jesus, and he looks even more of a badass if thats possible xD

15. jwcoombs

Where did you find this? Was in an ad in another comic? Or some other type or promotional item? Is it a variant cover? I must know!LOL It's obviously legit and done by Charlie; but I have no idea where this came from or what is was originally intended for; I can't believe I missed this being; the fanboy that I am.--Either way it's an absolutely awesome teaser image. Kirkman always comes up with the best promos; remember the teasers for The Hunters arc? "The dead do not stalk" "The dead do not track" Those were awesome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. jwcoombs

Nevermind; just saw the new post on the website. I guess Charlie already cooked up a bunch of promo images for the "A New Beginning" arc. They're releasing a new character promo each day this week. I can't wait to see then names, or roles, or designations the come up with for the rest of the characters. I like "All-American Boy" for Carl. It's sort of similar to the "Leader, Samurai, Archer" bit from the season four finale.

17. MantisTaboganMD

I've actually never saw these before, and they are awesome as hell! So, thanks for that :D

But for the Carl promo, am I the only one who thinks they look more like beads? They could very well be rotten walker teeth, but in this picture it definitely looks like beads or something. Either way, weird choice of a necklace, Carl. Can't wait to see the rest of 'em too.

18. jwcoombs

I agree with you; definitely not teeth. I'll admit, when I first saw Carl in 127, there was a moment that I thought they might be walker teeth. But then thought to myself that just wouldn't make sense, and be entirely un-befitting of their new life in ASZ and the peaceful state of things in general. I don't think Rick would allow it, also, you would think that if they were teeth that it would be of some significance to Carl personally. Meaning he would have been collecting teeth from his most memorable walker kills all this time. Which he wasn't.

Glad you like the hunters promos. Can't believe you've never seen them. There's lots of promos out there for most of the story arc(made mostly for advertising in other publications;e.g. comics and magazines)--There are promos for almost every arc; No Way Out; A Larger World; Something to Fear; All Out War etc.

19. jwcoombs

I found a few more promos I though you might like you see; these are mostly from the "No Way Out" arc.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

For a few of these, it does not seem that the last two years were actually as peaceful as we were lead to believe. Jesus looks like he has been through hell to turn him into the warrior he is now. No longer the Chuck Norris of the ZA, he now looks more like a war-torn samurai. Same for Andrea; Her transition to the gunslinger persona could not have come entirely at the hands of peace. The images of former overweight characters looking quite svelte now indicates that either food has not been as plentiful, or that they have had to give up their former lives of taking it easy while others did the heavy lifting. While it seems that no one (So far) of major importance to the story has died, they have most definitely not had an easy two years.

What I am liking most, about the time jump, is the notion that they have skipped over almost as much time as we have read about, nearly doubling our time into this situation from Rick waking up from his coma. I am anxious to find out what HAS happened during the jump, as much as I am to find out where we are now.

Until next time....