Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Best Horror Book?

Discussion in 'Horror Books' started by PepperAnn, Feb 4, 2013.

1. starlittrouble

I think any Stephen King book is a winner for scary horrors. If you're into dark, gothic types of stories then Angela Carter does short stories that are incredibly creepy for me - she also does a dark version of Little Red Riding Hood that I had to study at school which is how I know of her.
    My favourite horror though has to be The Diary by Sinclair Smith (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1644886.The_Diary) however I did read it aged around 13 so I'd imagine it has a younger audience (but I'd totally read it again).

2. ingénue belle

ingénue belle Well-Known Member

Just finished "Come Closer" by Sara Gran...short book about demon possession. Very good =)

[​IMG]

3. Stuff&Thangs

Stuff&Thangs Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This book gave me nightmares for weeks. Highly recommended for fans of the post-apocalyptic sub-genre.

4. WarriorPrincess

WarriorPrincess Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of Dean Koontz!

5. Driver

Driver Well-Known Member

6. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member

Lisa Jackson is a great author of psychological thrillers. She also wrote some books as Nancy Bush. I have read many of her books and loved them all.

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. ingénue belle

Currently reading "Stinger" by Robert McCammon who wrote one of my favorites, "Swan Song". It's looking promising.

[​IMG]

He's really an under-rated writer. If you enjoyed "The Stand", then check out "Swan Song". It's a long book (900+ pages) but it's a fast read.

8. Suedeanthracite

They Thirst is another good one by McCammon if you haven't read it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ingénue belle

I just ordered it =)

10. Suedeanthracite

I hope you like it!

11. ingénue belle

I'm sure I will. Stinger was really good. I'd compare it to Under the Dome by SK cuz the town is under a dome(ish)....only it was much better imo. Very fast read that didn't slow down. I'm prolly going to own all his books!

12. tink

tink Well-Known Member

"Stinger' looks really kinda cheesy if you just look at the cover, but it is a great book.

13. ingénue belle

True! If I didn't know the author was a good writer, I wouldn't have checked it out.

14. Wicklowwolf

Wicklowwolf Member

I hardly ever read fiction books nowadays. But years ago I read some books by James Herbert, including 'Rats'. Based in post apocalyptic England. This was one of the best stories I ever read.

15. Skullberry

Skullberry Member

I love mccammon. Stinger and swan song were great. Try "They Thirst".

I'm a Koontz nut. Here's my vote.

[​IMG]

My advice....don't read the blurb. Don't try to find out what's it's about....just start reading.

16. ctx1769

ctx1769 Member

"The Rats" book about the above was called "Domain" which was the last in the trilogy.

"The Fog" by James Herbert is another excellent horror.

17. Front Row

Front Row New Member

Hey thanks for the Stinger reviews, I just started it and am loving it. I was apprehensive on more Robert McCammon, I loved "Swan Song" but hated "Mine" (didn't even finish it) but glad I read your reviews and gave it a try.

As a huge Stephen King fan I read Swan Song because I heard about the similarities between it and the Stand, now reading Stinger and the "Skyweb" acting like a dome is making it similar to King's Under the Dome. What I think is weird is Swan Song was written after the Stand and Under the Dome was written after Stinger. Is Swan Song a nod to the Stand, and Under the Dome a nod to Stinger? Probably not but fun to think about.

18. Dave Himura

Dave Himura Member

Twilight. You will be horrified at how they ****ed up the vampires and u will feel the pain that Bram Stoker should be feeling in his grave

19. hackandslash

hackandslash Member

The Exorcist. I am not sure if this scared me because I watched the movie before, but it was really scary. The book was short, but it had scenes that were not included in the movie. The devil also had a name in the book. I guess they didn't name it in the movie because as they say, you give something power when you name it.

I wasn't able to sleep for two nights because I read this book! I actually regret it.

20. Teens In Crisis

The Hideaway by Dean Koontz is a book that I always thought was particularly creepy, and kept me awake at night while reading it. If you've not read it, I highly recommend doing so.