Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Best live shows

Discussion in 'Music' started by Heriot of Fire, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Heriot of Fire

What're the best gigs you've attended or seen on telly/youtube/whatever?

Been to a fair few over the years, unfortunately never got round to see Mr Bungle, so thank ****ness for the interwebz and WDR Rockpalast. Superb show, Mike Patton is a bloody genius!

[video=youtube;mJstGnsAQP4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJstGnsAQP4[/video]

2. TheHainted

TheHainted Member

Best live shows?
    Clutch- seen em once a year for the past 20 years....never disappoint.
    Black Sabbath- back in the 90s when it was full Sabbath, first couple of tours were great.
    White Zombie- not Rob...White. They were amazing live.
    Pantera- again seen em a lot. Never recall a bad show. Even if Phil was "gone" the band was killer and the audience tended to drown out Phil anyways.
    Slayer- They played a small club in my home town as a pretour show years ago. Awesome night.
    Cavalera - The 20th anniversary of Sepultura Roots tour. I saw it in 1996 and the 2016 show was even better.

Type O Negative - Anyone who knew Peter Steele or saw them a lot knows dude had a sense of humor. Always at least one funny thing or prank per show.
    They use to throw TP on stage while other bands played. One night I saw them with Life of Agony and the LOA guys TPed them while they played. It was really cool, it was like it was snowing while they played. No one missed a beat and just kept playing like nothing was happening until the whole stage was white.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Heriot of Fire

Footage of one of these occasions, believe it was at a Pantera show but dont remember right now, is on the After Dark DVD.
    Unfortunately, Type O shows were quite rare around here. I only got to see them on their LIKM tour in Austria and near the end, I think it was 2009, might have been earlier, in London. Love the band to bits ever since a schoolmate introduced me to them back in 97. Still gutted there's never going to be anything new from the lads, and can't believe it's been well over six years already.

Seen LOA loads and it's always a good time. Gonna see them on the 13th again, much looking forward to that.

First time Ive seen Clutch is sadly almost entirely wiped from my memory due to excessive alcohol consumation, but back in August in Helsinki was an excellent, no nonsense show and I love how they switch their setlist around every single night.

So, I guess I wasnt wrong with my initial thought that your username is in reference to the Swedish band?

#3 Heriot of Fire, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  4. Heriot of Fire

Speaking about the Drab Four though, it reminds me of their show at Bizarre Fest in 1999 which ended up on their Symphony For The Devil DVD. It was going to be televised on German TV, and I had to tell my parents I'm not coming along on holiday with them the day before. I somehow managed to shuffle out of that, invited a few mates over and watched the whole thing as loud as possible, while clearing out my parents hidden booze drawer. I was such a happy camper, and it was a great show. Especially loved the Back in the USSR cover they played that night, and hearing Everything Dies for the first time while eagerly awaiting the release of World Coming Down.
    Good times.

[video=youtube;9gtl8FpEzmU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gtl8FpEzmU[/video]

#4 Heriot of Fire, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  5. Expat-N-America

Expat-N-America Active Member

On of the best shows I enjoyed live was Radiohead back in....I want to say 1997. Awesome show. BB King live was something else as well, back in the 90s.

one of my favourites to see live was Ashley MacIsaac. Hes so damn entertaining. I caught him whenever I could.

ThIs year I Saw Mumford & Sons which was surprising more energetic than I was expecting. The most recent show I caught was Goo Goo Dolls and Collective Soul. They were so jazzed to be preforming, I got te sense they really love live shows, which always amps up the energy as well.

6. DeeLaurean

DeeLaurean Well-Known Member

I really wanna see Radiohead. I'm a huge fan. But unfortunately they haven't played here for a long time.

7. Heriot of Fire

Where are ye at? They'll be on UK & Europe tour next year. Considering going as well. Always felt kinda ambivalent towards them, great music, but that voice...

Street Spirit is absolutely brilliant though.

8. DeeLaurean

I'm in Australia they were here a few years ago but only over east. I'm west.
    Couldn't afford to fly over so missed out.

Flew over to see Metallica tho.

9. Heriot of Fire

Oh bugger, was sure you were British. If it helps, apparently the dates there are already sold out anyway ;)

Hope you'll be able to catch them someday.

10. DeeLaurean

Has it happens I am British.
    Just living here.
    Yeah hope so.

11. Heriot of Fire

It's a dream of mine to move down to NZ. Missing all those gigs is one of my main concerns about it.

12. DeeLaurean

Yeah it's a big effort for bands to tour down here.
    At least we got the weather ;)

13. TheHainted

TheHainted Member

LOA is an all time fav band. Loved catching Type O whenever they came through. I live in a good place between Nashville, Knoxville, and Atlanta so the 90s were a good time for me catching bands. Clutch plays here at least once a year.

Just caught Puscifer and must say it is an amazing show. If you have not been I suggest going. No cameras or phones aloud out at all. It was like a show back in the day where you saw the band and not every bodies phone up.

#13 TheHainted, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2016
  14. Heriot of Fire

I like Puscifer, but I don't like how they make a circus show of their concerts. There's also something I really don't like about Maynard. Might be wrong about him but there's this air of pretentiousness that people like Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt have cultured to unbearable levels. Can all but ruin some great music for me.

15. TheHainted

TheHainted Member

I can see that about him and the show. I like the showmanship of "trying" to put on a show. I miss White Zombie as their shows were very visual. When I saw Rob Zombie it was ehh. I was expecting a spectacle and was not disappointed with Maynard's show. That and one of the best "sounding" live shows I have been to. I had reservations about going as I hate loving music that is recorded only to find that live the band sucks.

16. Heriot of Fire

Yeah each to their own. I just prefer those no nonsense shows with bands completely into their music and occasionally going ape shit like Mike Patton loves to. Hate 3D movies for the same reasons, takes away from what I perceive as essential.

Also admire the intention of having nobody hold up their camera phones at the gig, must have made a nice change, but not allow it? Did they take it off you beforehand?

17. TheHainted

TheHainted Member

oh no they did not take them and it was handled politely. A sign in the front of the auditorium said no phone use inside. Step out or keep it put away. Then an announcement before show starts and ushers made sure to take notice and say something. Again it was done in a nice manner. Lastly before the show starts a video of Maynard again states you will be asked to leave if the phone comes out.
    Most shows I too prefer band, amps, and go! Years ago Down did a series of an evening with Down that were stripped down shows. Slayer played a dive bar I mentioned before in my town. No room for frills. Don't know if you are into punk or country but Hank 3 comes around to buy shine off a friends neighbor and he will sit and play a spell too. Those are priceless.

18. Heriot of Fire

Sounds like an alright way to handle that.

Yeah small intimate gigs are the best. Few weeks ago I've seen Blood Red Shoes play in front of, I dont know, maybe 70/80 people at a Jack Daniels birthday party only for invited guests. They still worked their socks off on stage, it was great.

I'm very much into punk, and a bit of country although I'm a bit clueless about that.

19. TheHainted

TheHainted Member

[video=youtube;fLkuLcbIJKA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLkuLcbIJKA[/video]

Hank 3, plays old style country music as well as has a punk/metal band Assjack. Played bass for Superjoint Ritual as well.
    When he plays his grandfathers music it is downright creepy. He sounds just like him.

20. Heriot of Fire

Oh, is that Hank Williams grandson then?

Reverend Peyton gigs also come to mind when talking about great live shows.

#20 Heriot of Fire, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016