Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Beth and Daryl, TOGETHER - WTF!!

Discussion in 'Episode 413 - Alone' started by Rickshair, Mar 4, 2014.

1. MainEvent

MainEvent Member

I wouldn't really say I want them to hook up, but I don't understand why people are so against it or saying it'd be gross.

Beth has to be at least 18 years old now, which makes any relationship where the other partner is older than her, legal. Not that legal/illegal would matter, it's the ZA, who's gonna sue him?

There's no way Daryl is 40 years old btw. Reedus might be but he doesn't look it. Daryl looks in his mid thirties to me and remember that living in the ZA adds a few years to the way you look, especially after everything he's been through and everyone he lost.
    So imo that's an age difference of 18 years at the most. I have family members and friends in a relationship with a bigger age gap than that..

Also, the people who are so against it, should be happy that they didn't take the Andrea-Dale relationship from the comics. In the comics, Andrea was a lot younger and Dale older than their characters on the show, I'd say more than 40 years between them. Imagine the reactions from fans if they would've done that on the show with different actors :)

2. cpump

cpump Member

I thibk beth is done for anyway lol

3. trinity

trinity Member

If Beth hooked up with Daryl that would look a little odd as Glen her older Sister's husband looks so much younger lol!

4. Maya

Maya Member

I could care less who ends up with Daryl, but throwing in the word pedophile in the same sentence as Beth and Daryl possibly being paired together is a bridge too far.

5. Stuff&Thangs

Stuff&Thangs Well-Known Member

I am not a shipper.

But in a show where cold-blooded murder is quite commonplace, I find it really strange why people would be in uproar over a relationship between and an older man and a young lady who be considered "of age" in a civilized society. Weird.

6. deadcpa

deadcpa Member

Legal? I don't think there is much law any more.

7. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I know...i never really saw him and Beth becoming a couple, but if it happens i don't think we can call it "creepy" because of his age like some people are doing. It's not like Daryl actively pursued Beth...they lived together in the prison for months without him ever trying anything. If he does have feelings for her, they developed after getting to know her, not because she's a young piece of ass. lol

8. Stuff&Thangs

And I do not quite understand why some people would disapprove of this relationship on the basis of an age disparity when there is a romantic relationship between a character in her early twenties and a character in his late forties (Abraham and Rosita). Yet, I have not heard any disapproval or disgust with regards to that relationship. Double weird.

9. Dead Dahlia

Dead Dahlia Member

I agree :) That look was intentional (on writers part) and was not father/daughter or brother/sister look ... it was something more. What exactly I don't know, but I think he was looking at her in a "I'm seeing you in a different light" kind of way. The way it wasn't a look indicating Daryl's interest in Beth ... is if it was Norman & Emily's chemistry bleeding over into the scenes. Perhaps they were supposed to look all close and familial (holding hands, carry her, giving her a brother/sister type I love you look), but because the actors themselves have some sort of on screen chemistry it came across like it did - in a boyfriend/girlfriend/sexual/I want you/I need you type way ;) LOL However, it may not have been intentional, but why would the directors have let that continue as they filmed - it looked pretty obvious. Or, they are just messing with the fans ... kind of like they suggested Daryl & Carol might be a thing, when they never ended up doing anything. He completely brushed off all of her advances - Carol's been friend-zoned for sure. So, maybe they're doing that here too. They'll make it look like Daryl's falling for her, but then they won't do anything with it :-/

I wonder if the writers will ever put him with anyone?

I think they may keep him single in order to keep the fandom guessing, to keep all the shippers happy, they don't want to disrupt the force of Daryl Dixon. Why put him with one woman, when you can tease at him hooking up with all of them - keeps everyone happy ;)

#49 Dead Dahlia, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  10. lovethishow

lovethishow Member

I feel like they could both mutually want each other in a sexual way. Just because Daryl is significantly older doesn't mean Beth isn't still very attractive to him. He has never had a positive relationship with a woman before, and he could definitely fall in love with her for it. Beth being so young and inexperienced, may want her first sexual experience to be with someone she loves and trusts-- Daryl being the only one. Just like she wanted to "have a drink"... live life a little... I feel like she might have that urge when it comes to Daryl too. :)

11. Natta

Natta Member

Let's all just take a moment to consider how hot a love scene between Norman and Emily would be.

12. Stuff&Thangs

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Zombie Mouse

Zombie Mouse Member

I have no problem with age gap relationships, but I just don't see the romantic spark between Beth and Daryl. All the "moments" being pointed to as evidence seem like a lot of wishful thinking to me.

Beth is an affectionate person, she's hugged Rick before, and so I read nothing into her hugging or holding someone's hand. She's just demonstrative with her caring for people she regards as family.

Daryl suggested Beth restored his faith in finding good people, and? She's pretty optimistic, if realistic, and Daryl wasn't exactly a lost cause, he was pretty much holding things together back at the prison while Rick was being a farmer etc.

I doubt Daryl and Beth will even share any more scenes together this season, or if they do they will be back with the remaining members of the group, and the dynamics will have changed again. If both of them survive into season 5, then they'll probably keep a friendship connection, but I don't see it being anything more than that. The show looks like it's going down a romantic route with Bob and Sasha, and then there's Glenn and Maggie, I don't think they'll want to go that way with Beth and Daryl. Basically, the writers etc are just dangling the carrot for those who like to ship, and they know it stirs up interest (Wetpaint's wet dream). It's actually pretty cynical, when you think about it.

14. Natta

Natta Member

yes

15. Stuff&Thangs

[​IMG]

16. Zombie Mouse

Zombie Mouse Member

Oh, and Norman Reedus, and therefore Daryl, definitely looks all of his 45 years.

It is neither here nor there, just a bit :zombies_rolleyes: when people are saying he's 30s at most. No.

BTW, I don't ship Daryl anyone, except for maybe his one-true-love, Rick. :Grin:

17. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

I just had a high school senior tell me that she hates Beth because Beth "stole her boyfriend". Wisely, I chose not to debate with her.

18. sneakyboo

sneakyboo Member

That face always makes me think he thought it was a fart but it was so much more.

19. maya15

maya15 Member

I have also got an impression of the upcoming romance from this episode (unfortunately :Grin:).

However, I still doubt that a long-term romance would actually happen, and not because of the age gap. Daryl is a character broken in a many ways, and it seems a bit unrealistic for 18 year old girl to deal with it. Especially with Beth, who has not still been portrayed as a mature but as a typical teenager (she wanders alone in the woods when it is clear that she is still incompetent to take care of herself, she wants to have a drink at any cost, she plays the piano and leaves thank-you notes etc). The only way this relationship to last would be that two of them are alone for a longer period of time, but that did not happen.

A pure sexual relationship would be more realistic, but they certainly formed a much deeper connection so far, and also neither is the type for it, so I don`t see it either.

Carol would suit him so much better.

#59 maya15, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014