Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Better Call Saul

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by Jon Snow, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm really liking the season, but I figured things would be progressing more hectically. I kept hearing the actors say that S5 was going to be more like Breaking Bad, but its really just continued Better Call Saul. GOOD Better Call Saul, but I almost feel like some of the arcs in earlier seasons were more like Breaking Bad.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what threw me off too. Vince Gilligan said this season felt like Breaking Bad, but so far it hasn't. When we had that initial scene in the premiere too with Saul looking to "take care of it himself" when that guy identified his true identity it seemed like we were on track for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

That's my only gripe with this season, that the pace seems a little slow. Other than that it's been another solid season.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stealth

The writing is still so good, right down to the little things that they do with making the JMM now stand for "Just Make Money." It's like the three different JMM meanings are the whole evolution of Jimmy to Saul and his own path of "breaking bad."

I'm guessing the last season will be really crazy. I'm most intrigued now about what happens to Kim. It feels as if she's going to die, but I'm not sure. I guess they could build a world where they were still together but we just didn't see her in Breaking Bad. It's not like we got anything on his personal life then. It would still be a bit of a stretch though, and it wouldn't make sense why he left New Mexico alone.

5. Neuropyramidal

Yeah, I think she definitely either dies or finally rejects Jimmy. It would make sense that this event is what propels Jimmy into full Saul mode, no longer giving a shit about trying to do anything ethical. I don't think it fits that Kim was waiting at home for Saul every day in Breaking Bad.

6. Neuropyramidal

Now that was a Breaking Bad episode.

And did the desert scenes at first remind anyone else of

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stealth

Yeah and after the recent episode we can see how that's being set up. Such a bad move by Kim going to Lalo. I don't blame her because she was panicked about Jimmy, but you can see it coming now. Too bad. I really like her character, and in many ways Better Call Saul has beome her story too. Looks like we have another Ozymandias style episode on the horizon.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stealth

Great episode. I liked how they worked the space blanket into the story too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stealth

Another great episode. The Lalo scene at the end was so intense. I thought that was going to be the end of the line for Kim. Rhea Seahorn was amazing. Jimmy was starting to stagger under the pressure from Lalo and Kim just jumped in. It was her forcefulness and conviction that saved them. What a great character.

Then there was the added tension of Mike waiting with his rifle scope fixed on Lalo.

Last two episodes were Breaking Bad level excellence. I wish we had more than one left in the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Neuropyramidal

Good, but not great episode for a finale. But a solid set up for next season.

The biggest laugh I got during last night's episode was the Coors commercial that encouraged drinking a Coors in the morning during breakfast. It showed 2 guys waking up, clothing the blinds so they didn't have to deal with the daylight, cooking breakfast, and opening up cans of Coors. Apparently this ad has been around for several months. Its my first time seeing it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Neuropyramidal

I'm starting to wonder about a bait and switch. They are making us think that the dealings with Lalo are going to spell out Kim's demise, but her end really comes from her own undoing regarding something unrelated that she cooks up with the reluctant help of Jimmy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Maybe. Do you think Lalo is intimidated by Kim? She really tore a strip off him in the second to last episode.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Stealth

I felt the same about the finale. It's probably because the two that preceded it were Breaking Bad level episodes, and this felt more like Better Call Saul. It was almost more like a season premiere since it was setting the table for what's to come. I did enjoy it though.

Lalo is going to do some serious damage next season, and unfortunately Nacho is going to be be on the receiving end of it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Stealth

It's possible. She's breaking bad now too. One of my favorite moments was when Kim laughed at Howard explaining what Jimmy had done. With a smirk she said, "That's it?"

The other thing about Lalo now is he's not going to give a damn about Jimmy. He knows Nacho betrayed him and he's going to focus on him, his girlfriend and father. And he'll want revenge on Gus. Besides he seemed to respect Kim and saw her as a badass. What would be the point in doing anything to her at this stage? Jimmy did bring the money back and at the worst just lied to him about what happened. He's not involved in the conspiracy to take him down. Mike has more to worry about actually.

The other thing they did really well in their storytelling was to keep Kim on the fence. She's been trying to play the straight arrow, but she's actually closer to Jimmy's side of things. It's why she's been drawn to him all these years. They also built enough little detours in over the seasons to make her path now seem natural.

Perhaps she goes to jail because she tries to frame Howard for something. Jimmy might even completely bail on the idea, and because she goes it alone without getting input from him, the whole thing backfires.

This also sets up some interesting possibilities for the end story. They could have her getting out of prison and Jimmy reuniting with her. Also, if she's not around then, the conclusion won't be as compelling because Jimmy will be the only main character still alive at that stage.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Stealth

16. Biffster

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Stealth

It's looking like we won't see the final season now until sometime in 2022. It already feels like it's been forever after the past year of the pandemic.

18. Biffster

It feels that way with a number of shows, especially the quality ones like Better Call Saul where they are filmed more like movies. Quality takes time I guess. In the meantime, have you seen Bob Odenkirk’s side project “Nobody” yet? Looks interesting.

19. Stealth

No I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard good things about it.

20. Biffster

I think Bob’s more talented than he’s often given credit for.

• Like Like x 1