Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Biblical passages on church wall

Discussion in 'Episode 502 - Strangers' started by Pogo the Possum, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Pogo the Possum

Pogo the Possum Active Member

Here they are:
    Romans 6-4: Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we should walk in newness of life.

Ezekiel 37-7: So I prophesied as commended: and as i prophesied, there was a noise, and behold a shaking, and the bones came together, bone to his bone.

Matthew 27-52: And the graves were opened: and many bodies of the saints which slept arose.

Revelation 9-6: And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.

Luke 24-5: And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead?

There was also religious imagery while first in the church:
    Glenn looking at a sewing inscription... Galations 8-9: And let us not grow weary of doing good For due season we will reap if we do not give up.
    Carol looking at the handwritten bible ...Genesis.
    Daryl looks at a wall placque of The Last Supper.
    Michonne sees the kid's drawings of Burning Bush ( Gotterdamerlung ? ) and 40 years of wandering.

Also St. Sarah's Episcopal church: St. Sarah is the patron saint of gypsies !

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lxwad

Lxwad Member

Interesting. Thanks for posting this.

3. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Interesting for sure.

I know the church was built there for the show but I have not seen churches just sitting in the middle of the woods before that I can remember?

No roads or parking lots or any external support structures in any of the shots of little churches in the show.

Is this common in rural areas in the U.S. or just the way they shoot these scenes?

4. CheesyBirdMess

CheesyBirdMess Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing! Oh definitely seems like some foreshadowing?

I did notice this one on the arch: "He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life".

[​IMG]

5. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

In the rural areas around where I live they have churches like this out in the middle of nowhere. My Nephew got married in one that had no real parking lot, sat on a small hill in the woods and had to park pretty far from it and walk up. They used to have people come pick you up in a van or bus on Sundays and take you to church and back.

Maybe that's what Fa. Gabriel did with his bus, there is a road there, not a paved one though, but how else would they get the bus out into town if there wasn't. You can see Rick and group toting the supplies on the road coming back to the church after their run.

6. Darylette

Darylette Member

If he'd spent the entire ZA with no human contact he'd surely be absolutely crazy by now? I'm guessing that's what the bible verses are hinting at.

7. Agramer

Agramer Well-Known Member

I love those Biblical passages. The one on the arch is a great one. Explains the show a lot.

8. Esse

Esse Member

I find these kind of details , and the correlations we can find to the character they show them with, extremely intriguing -- and they really could be foreshadowing...

the first page Carol saw of the handwritten Bible had the commandment "Thou shalt not kill" evidenced ( and we know she is feeling guilty about what she has done ) and then she went back to the Genesis ( maybe a hint to her rebirth? Or at least to her trying to start over?)

Daryl watching the Last Supper - I don't know what they wanted to say (if there is actually a meaning behind these choices).... a future treason? A sacrifice for the benefit of others? ( or more literally that that day someone would have consumed their last supper? xD)

Glenn's passage could allude to the fact that he's going to take Hershel's role - be the moral compass of the group - and maybe he will be rewarded ( or more probably pay) for that.

The Burning Bush it could also represent many things. In the Old Testament there is the recurring concept that God's judgment is a consuming fire - but that of the burning bush is a fire that is not consuming, it could represent mercy in judgment. We saw it twice, with Michonne ( it could be her being in peace with what she has done/has to do/will have to do) and with Father Gabriel (if he's done something maybe he feels the fire of judgment and is asking for that mercy).

the 40 years wandering - well this could be an allusion to Michonne own wandering in the past - and in general the group ongoing wandering in search of a home.

yep, I'm Miss Obvious.:Grin:

9. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

It seemed like Gabriel was focusing his writings on Genesis only. Sort of like the Governor and his ///////.

10. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

When Carol first came in, his writing was actually up to Exodus. Carol just flipped back his notebook towards the beginning, which is why we saw mostly Genesis.

11. Pogo the Possum

Pogo the Possum Active Member

Something else I thought of : The group finds Fr. Gabriel on a ROCK ( Rock of Ages ? Thou art my rock and salvation ? Higher ground ? )

12. frawniemae

frawniemae Well-Known Member

Just my take as a believer: throughout all that time, Father Gabriel never felt alone because a true believer is never alone (the Sprit dwells within you). He was handwriting the Bible, possibly from memory but most probably to be busy about remembering it. I would think that every Sunday he held service if only for the reason of staying as faithful as possible, and those passages listed on the wall were the most recent passages he had studied. They definitely have a common theme. And some might see him as crazy just because he has such faith that God alone is all the protection he needs. Like he said on the rock, "I called for help and you came." It will be interesting to see how far his story goes and where it takes them.

thanks for starting this thread. I had thought about it but you never know how people are going to take a religiously themed thread.

13. DarylFTW

DarylFTW Member

I'm not sure that Fa. Gabriel's copying the bible is a sign he is mad. Some people are assigned a penance of copying certain passages from the bible. Also, copying the entire bible is a way to concentrate and block out bad things around you. Monks often copied the bible and other books as well.

14. Esse

Esse Member

tbh I don't think they went so far with their subtexts but if we want to see a reference what about

Rock = firmness of faith?

Psalms 27:5 - For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.

15. Bernadette

Bernadette Well-Known Member

She flipped from Exodus to Genesis. ....I may be alone in this, but I thought it was interesting. Kinda like escape to the beginning.

16. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

A few of us were discussing this particular scene with Daryl in another thread, possibly it could have something to do with Beth at the funeral home just before being kidnapped, being their last supper together. Your choices also make sense though.

17. Esse

Esse Member

I think your interpretation is the right one - it would be strictly connected to Daryl and therefore explain why was him to see this particular image. If so, it seems to imply that Beth will die?

[​IMG]

18. Darylette

Darylette Member

i totally agree, apart from anything else it gives your day structure and purpose. However this is tv and in tv land bible verses all over he wall is usually the director pointing the audience towards madness.

19. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

you noticed that last supper image held meaning for Bob this week also. I wonder if for Daryl it foretells some one betraying or misleading him in re guards to Beth. Maybe someone thinks she's dead and they leave her. She may end up with Morgan who is tracking the group and may find Beth. If they thought Beth was dead, and she came back risen from the dead, that'd be pretty cool. Also the Carol and Genesis reference, Cain and Able where in Genesis, (Lizzie and Mica). Rick stood under the arch promising eternal life, children carry on your line and you live forever. Michonne had baby Moses in the reeds, (her lost child) as well as the wandering reference.

20. davidedmorn

davidedmorn New Member

At online, we have a good collection of Christian wall decals in wonderful quotes and also in colorful combinations.
    bible scriptures message