Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Black actors showcased in this episode.

Discussion in 'Episode 503 - Four Walls and a Roof' started by Alina, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

Gimple certainly laid to rest the corpse of the accusation levelled at Mazzara as a showrunner that "one black character in, one black character out" by showcasing the exceptional acting talents of black actors this episode. Bob's *everything* performance as the cannibalised dying victim, Sasha's distress and rage, Tyreese's ambivalence over, again, *everything*, Gabriel's guilt, Michonne takes care of business and gets her katana back.

This episode was definitely the most screen time devoted to black characters and everybody f*cking loved it which puts a lie to the idea that mainstream audiences don't want to watch black characters. Everyone wants to watch black characters if they're as well drawn dramatic characters as Gimple has made them.

2. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

I hope I don't sound condescending saying this, but I hadn't even picked up on that fact. Now that I think about it I guess it is good on Gimple since you don't see AA actors showcased to the extent they were on TWD last night unless it's a show primarily casting AA actors. It makes sense though as Atlanta has a higher AA population than a lot of cities in the U.S.

Superb episode last night imo.

3. Lummsy200

Lummsy200 Member

As a honkie I didn't even notice your point and to be honest I don't care about the color of the skin of the people being showcased. Just give me some good acting and a good storyline with good camera work, this episode had all of that and a bag of chips.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

I don't give a shit about the race of an actor. I just want to watch good acting.

5. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

I'm white but I was married to a black man so I tend to be a little more sensitive to depictions of black people in popular culture. I agreed with the criticism that during the Mazzara reign black characters were sidelined.

But I think it's absolutely great that people didn't notice that this episode mainly featured black characters. That's how it should be. Viewers should be noticing "that scene made me cry" and "that scene had me on the edge of my seat", not whether the characters who rendered the scene were black or white.

I think Gimple's doing a great job of rendering human drama and is making the best of all the actors instead of making it just the RickMotherF*ckingGrimes show. Though we got plenty of that as well. Winners all round.

#5 Alina, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  6. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

In many ways this is the first season that we can fully judge Gimple's work. Last year he had to repair the show from Mazzara and some of the choices he made were more of a setup for the future. They're really lucky that it paid off too not only weren't viewers lost during this TWD rehab project, but the audience has actually increased.

Tyreese's development though remains a bit unrealistic for me. And Gabriel is the perfect one to compare him to. We may not like Gabriel's weakness, what he did to his congregation and how he's so lost in the ZA, but it works with this particular character. You can understand why he is where he is, but with Tyreese there is more of an inconsitency that hasn't been adequately explained.

With that said though I did like a couple of Tyreese's scenes last night, the big one where he put down Bob for Sasha was great. I also liked his time alone toward the end digging the graves with Rick. That helped demonstrate his current mindset a bit. I had some trouble though with his first scene with Sasha and the forgiveness line. It just didn't seem to fit. I understand him saying that it was best for her to be with Bob for his final moments, but the forgiving bit just didn't work for me.

7. Toothpick

Toothpick Well-Known Member

they need to get on with Richonne, then i'd consider the matter dealt with.

8. deadcpa

deadcpa Member

Didn't really think about the black character thing. They are all great actors.

9. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

The actor that played Bob did an outstanding job this episode.

10. Scarecrow666

Scarecrow666 Member

Larry Gillard has always been a great actor. He did an exceptional job on the Wire.

11. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

This! THey are all human beings. The "white" are also pretty diverse with Germanic, Latin, Celtic and so on. Asian. Diversity at its best, humans.

12. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I never saw the wire. How many on TWD were on wire. My brother in law kept saying different ones were on the wire when they first appeared. It got to be where I thought he is pulling my leg . I didn't feel like researching so maybe you can tell me.

13. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

The actors who play Bob, Tyreese and Gabriel were all The Wire alum.

14. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

[MENTION=29932]agadu2[/MENTION] This isn't reddit. Disliking my post won't make it disappear. We generally don't dislike around here except for obviously trollish posts. Maybe you'd like to post something of substantive value to the discussion like others have. Maybe not.

15. agadu2

agadu2 Member

Whined your neck in mate. I didn't like your post and I'm free to dislike what I don't like. Does it really bother you that much if someone dislikes your post?

16. kennyisalive94

kennyisalive94 Well-Known Member

Edited

Yeah, um, also, I didn't even notice and am glad to say that, because it shouldn't be noticed. As for Bob dying right after Gabriel's introduction, I'm confident that Bob's death was purely for the story and he was the right fill-in for the tainted meat arc.

T-Dog's death still sticks out like a sore thumb because knowing that they wouldn't kill him if there was no Michonne is reason enough to be aggravated because it reinforces his role as the token black guy for the first 2 seasons. But now, I don't think race is an issue. If the cast happens to become two-thirds black, I don't want it to be because of racism or in spite of racism. If that happened or didn't happened, it should just be because of the natural flow of the story.

#16 kennyisalive94, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  17. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

The Walking Dead has a pretty great cast. And I like that the cast is growing more and more diverse with each season… It reflects the way a group may be in a zombie apocalypse more realistically.

18. fruitfulandgay

fruitfulandgay Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but i dont like your post. I don't understand your point. I work with a really diverse group of people, every once in a while we have a real stressful day. When that real stressful day is finally over, nobody says 'Hey, back of house did better than front of house'. Usually what we say is 'we did it!', and then we all go drink beer together on the wheelchair ramp. I'm not even kidding. We watch out for each other, and that's every day.

19. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

When he was show runner Mazzara got a lot of criticism for treating the black characters as tokens and having an apparent one black male actor at a time rule. I agreed with this criticism (along with criticisms about Mazzara's depiction of female characters).

The point I'm making is that no-one can make the same criticism of Gimple because the black characters are getting as much depth and complexity as the white characters under Gimple and the black actors are getting more screen time and the opportunity to show off their acting chops that they didn't get under Mazzara.

Or to put it another way - Mazzara bad, Gimple good.

#19 Alina, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

To be honest, I'm not sure Mazzara has all the blame for that. Some, but not all. Kirkman/Darabont set the cast up in season 1 and early season 2, so Mazzara really didn't have that much of a choice for season 2, the cast was already fixed, unless he wanted to alter the plot a great deal just for the purpose of adding a couple black cast members. He did add Tyreese and Sasha in season 3, although I do agree that statistically more Woodburians should have been black, and Mazzara did reduce T-Dog's lines to little more than grunts, so he does share some of the blame.

I hadn't really noticed the showcasing of African Americans during this episode, which perhaps speaks to its success. ;)