Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Black actors showcased in this episode.

Discussion in 'Episode 503 - Four Walls and a Roof' started by Alina, Oct 27, 2014.

1. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Yes, that occurred to me after I posted on it, so I decided to dial myself down a bit and just lurk in this thread for a while. ;) I apologize, @Nachtbringer, if you were joking about the black male characters being interchangeable. It's one of those "funny/not funny because it's (arguably) true" observations.

[​IMG]

2. Online-Don

Online-Don Well-Known Member

And Oscar, he was in like one scene in The Wire.

3. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

Reminds me of this little exposition from The West Wing: "You know, a friend of mine's a comedian, and he was doing a standup here in town. A bunch of people from the German consulate came down to see him, and they came backstage afterwards, and they said to him, "How come we don't have anyone as funny as you back home?" And my friend said, "Because you killed them all."

True, those who use sarcasm or dry humor run the risk of having people take their posts too seriously. I had that happen to me in the complaints thread for this ep.

4. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

1. If you do,I will immediately petition you for Sainthood.
    2. Australians are far superior to Americans, simply because here in the USA, we've yet to ever produce anything remotely as AWESOME as Chopper!!
    [video=youtube;mh6pZQX22CQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh6pZQX22CQ[/video]

5. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I can relate. I can go from joking around to dead serious and then back again pretty quickly, and it's caused me problems online even with people who know me in real life. So I got in the habit of throwing in the occasional emoticon, though they may make me look like a 12-year-old.

I really need to visit Australia.

6. fruitfulandgay

fruitfulandgay Well-Known Member

Slavery deniers. Is this really your POV? I'm about to retract my apology. Slavery deniers? I live in the deep south. No one denies slavery. Around here we celebrate the food, culture, tradition, and craftsmanship that defines a unique way of life. We share the same table. This thread is becoming sensational in all the wrong ways

#46 fruitfulandgay, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  7. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

Robin Williams supposedly said that on a German interview program.

8. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

OK, let's try it using Australian examples rather than American examples. This example better translates to the treatment of native Americans in the U.S. than of slaves, I grant you.

I might post - You know, the history of racism towards the indigenous population in Australia is appalling. The white people who invaded the country engaged in wholesale murder of the local population either by direct genocide or by purposely spreading disease or forcing them into concentration camps. They then waged a campaign to kill their culture and attempted to wipe out their race by forcibly taking children from their parents and trying to raise them "white". Australian aborigines were only granted the legal rights of citizenship in 1967 (less than 50 years ago) and they continue to be the most wretched segment of the Australian population in terms of life-expectancy and experience a quality of life that even Medieval people would consider disgusting.

Now no-one can say that anything that I've posted above is not empirically true.

What they can say is:

- Yeah, well, I've never personally mistreated any aborigines so what's that got to do with me? Why am I supposed to feel guilty?

- But that was like 200 years ago, how does that excuse them for being pathetic now?

- Yabbut, aborigines get like a whole bunch of stuff like subsidised tertiary education that I don't get.

- We're supposed to have a discussion about how aborigines are depicted on tv now? Why don't we just ignore the whole thing?

- I'm so sick of aborigines whinging.

When I'd argue that a more appropriate response would be: "Yep, the campaign of terror that white people have waged against indigenous people in Australia is truly horrifying. What can we do to work together to make things better?"

9. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

As half American Indian, my father is full blooded, I have to say that it's complete bullshit that white folks should feel any guilt for what happened over a hundred years ago. And when it comes to modern day racism, only those that are racist should feel guilt and shame. furthermore, I've experienced racism from white's, blacks, Hispanics, and fellow Indians - who hate me because I'm a half breed. I'm an American born into this country as a free citizen. No one came here and conquered my land and forced me to live a certain way. Just because this happened to my ancestors doesn't mean I need to hold onto all that baggage and hate. That shit helps keep racism alive. Every race has been wronged by another sometime in history. How long do you hold onto wrongs committed by people against people you never knew? I'll stop now before I piss my self off.

10. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

THIS ^^^^ 100 times over!!!!!

Now I can't say about Australia, as I don't know much about the country, but here in the US. Yes, there is still some who are racist. And that falls to any race. It is because people will not let go of the past. It's sad, and pathetic, and such a negative attitude.

I will ask though, Why has this been brought up to begin with? Were there complaints when they brought in Hershel and the girls, and we lost Shane, Sophia and Lori? Have there been complaints that Steven/Glenn is the ONLY Asian? Would there be complaints if Dale was still alive, and did the scene?
    Why did they use LG as Bob? Because he was the only actor who could pull this scene off. And I find him to be a talented actor and a good soul.

If you want racism to stop. Then it needs to start with you (anyone in general). Posts like this will only fuel the fire and it will continue. People need to think about that.

11. Franklin

Franklin Member

Gimple has improved the show's racial diversity. There are actually black walkers from time to time these days. It was pure racism from Frank Darabont to not have any black walkers in Atlanta. It is completely illogical to not have any black Walkers in a large black population.

12. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

I'm always mindful of George Santayana's maxim: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it". The injustices of the past 100 years significantly impacted on your parents and your grandparents capacity to be treated equally and participate on an equal footing in current society. Hell, your grandparents were probably given cholera infused blankets in an effort to kill them.

It's good that you don't hold any animus towards the descendants of the people who did that to your family members. I know that if you're young 100 years ago seems like ancient history. But there are black people in the U.S., native Americans in the U.S., aborigines in Australia, alive today who's earliest memories are "remember when they, as a society, were trying to kill us". That is not got over in one or two generations and these groups are still not on an equal footing with white society in the U.S. or Australia.

The wounds of the past haven't been healed yet. To deny this is disingenuous, IMO.

13. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Not everything is racism. Maybe they didn't show much interest. You speak as if he more or lesso nly hand picked ONLY white. and said no to everyone else. Can it be this bad?

14. rabscuttle1

I never said not to remember the past. But you still need to move on from it or nothing will ever change. And I've been on the receiving end of extreme racist driven violence that filled me with so much hate that it changed my life for many years until I realized I was no different than those that wronged me. There are also many forms of racism. Those that see me as a minority and feel like I need an extra helping hand because I'm not white are equally as racist as those that hate me because I'm not white. Both look at me and see someone different than themselves. If I'm truly equal then stop seeing me as needing help and let me fall or succeed on my own like any white man.

15. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

According to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Atlanta the population of Atlanta is 54% black. So walkers should actually make up more than half of the walkers depicted.

I don't necessarily think that Darabont is a racist because he is very well known for working with actors/crew who he knows. He casts the same actors in all his films (fair enough) and the actor who played Dale notoriously quit after Darabont was fired. So I think there was a lot of casting of people Darabont personally knew.

But at far as representing the demographics of the local population they really stuffed up as [MENTION=3784]Franklin[/MENTION] points out.

16. rabscuttle1

I think a lot of that has to do with who shows up to be walkers and how well they can pull off being walkers. There just might not be a lot of black extras showing up to play walkers.

17. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

Type I Error: Seeing racism where none exists.
    Type II Error: Failing to see racism where it exists.

Both types of errors get made.

So, you're saying that there were black people who tried to sign up for Zombie School but were turned down? Don't you think we would have heard about it if that happened?

Type I.

18. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

It still smacks of the idea that white mainstream audiences don't want to see black characters and so black characters aren't cast. There's a lot of research on this stuff. It's not just people sitting in their lounge room making shit up.

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/books-and-culture/why-whites-avoid-movies-with-black-actors-30890/

19. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

Oy vey, this thread. I think [MENTION=4274]Alina[/MENTION] 's point was just that it was nice to see black actors showcased in a well written, well acted episode. And that isn't the norm on many popular television shows.

It's like [MENTION=23322]westwingnut[/MENTION] was saying about the 2 types of errors. There will be people who cry foul about things that are merely coincidental, and then there are people who have no idea that something is a big deal, like this episode (when I say "big deal" I'm referring to the opinion of the original poster in that this was something you don't see every day, and should be celebrated, or at the very least noted). It doesn't make anyone wrong, or racist (although I wholeheartedly think everyone is to some extent), we just all experience/interpret these things differently based on our own backgrounds and life experiences.

20. tink

tink Well-Known Member

That's total bullshit though. White audiences go to films with black actors in lead roles with no compunction that the film is not "aimed at them'.

That said, if it's an all black cast dealing exclusively with black issues, then often yeah, they're not going to go in droves, although that's not always true either, since it depends entirely on the subject matter.

I would say the reverse is also true though, so is that racism? Or is it just having different cultural interests?