Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Black Pines

Discussion in 'Zombie Fan Fiction' started by TheHainted, Oct 19, 2016.

1. TheHainted

TheHainted Member

New to writing. I am a horrific speller and punctuation leaves much to be desired but I am working on it. Please bear with me if you read.

No zombies yet but there will be many a spooky thing. Also there is harsh adult language for those who do not wish to endure.....

I hear voices.

So what I do too it’s busy in here this morning. Hey, can I get some more coffee? Thanks.

No I mean like voices like get a check voices. I been to the doc and got meds but well I still hear them.

About that time a portly man in his mid-30s slid into the booth beside mark. He tried to straighten his unkempt hair and fidgeted with a shirt that did not seem to agree with him on what size it should be.

Hey Alan, tell him what you see too. Bet he gets a kick out of that. Tell him the meds worked the opposite and now you see as well as here us. God that is hilarious, if I were alive I would run that by Loren.

Alan looked to Chris giving him the not now this shit is serious look. Farley just ignored him taking in the small diner, eyes never lingering on one spot too long.
    Alan you just need rest my man. Changes at the station have got all of us worked up and you are just exhausted. Mark said as he played with the remaining fries on his plate.

Alan searched his cup for answers and replied I really wish it were just that. But these voices well to be honest it is celebrities...dead celebrities. And while I am coming out so to speak I see them too.

God Damn! What meds has that quack put you on? You need to quit that shit and see a surgeon, maybe get a cat scan. Holy shit Alan do you think it may be a tumor?

The ****. Why would you say that just a minute ago I was fine, just tired and now I'm dying! Let's find a happy middle here. I just need someone to know to keep an eye out, let me know if my cheese really starts to slide off my cracker.

Aggravated Alan took to watching Chris again. Wishing like hell he could tell him to sit ****ing still without looking like a loon yelling at an empty space. He noticed Chris’s eyes were fixed on something though. He gave him a “what?” look. Chris nodded out the window. Outside people were walking past on their way to run errands or to and from work. There was also something else.

A shadow had stopped to watch them. No not a shadow, more of a burnt man wearing a suit. He was jet black like coal with big gold eyes. The man looked shocked. Alan did not know if the shock was from seeing two men and a ghost discussing mental health or the fact that Alan was looking at him watching. Like he should not be able to see him. Not the weirdest thing to happen but before all this could register to Alan the burnt man was gone.Having enough good cheer from Mark and babysitting the late Chris Farley Alan decided it was time to head further. Besides he needed to stop by the station to discuss the live broadcast later. God he hated the gen pop but the extra cash kept the lights on and helped support his habits.

Once outside Alan meandered down the street, his apartment was in a good location not too far from anything allowing him to walk or bike where needed. Crossing the street the burnt man invited himself back into Alan’s thoughts. Who or what was he? Alan was use to weird shit, it was par for the course growing up in Black Pines, many things had happened or been seen but never a burnt man that Alan can recall. He did not seem menacing or a celebrity that he could tell. Most of them were so vain they always appeared as they were at their peak or heyday. No this guy is different. Almost like he got caught playing normal by a fellow freak.

Arriving at KBBL Alan took some time for Elvis who always greeted at the door. No,no, not that Elvis this one is alive..Elvis the dog. Elvis was the only living being Alan had told about things that did not judge him. As long as he had time to pet him and discuss what a good boy he was Alan was alright in Elvis’s book.
    After a proper handshake goodbye, Elvis had taught Alan to shake like he had to with most humans, it was a short jaunt down the hall to the studio and a bit further to the office. Alan prayed along the way. Please don't let it be jenny. Please don't let it be jenny. As he opened the door his last request was cut short by Bobby the station manager.

Don't start your shit you work the remote with Jenny.

****! Why her? Do you really hate me? Can't we get one of the Raymond’s? Jesus Bobby, I even volunteered for this remote.

Okay, number one, she is the only other person available. Number two no I do not hate you...I like to see you suffer, and three sorry I tried them first. No dice both are out of town for the weekend. Besides its Halloween, you do the remote hand out a few stickers and shirts, get the guys to do a few announcements and you’re done. She cannot mess this up. It's idiot proof.

Yes idiot proof not Jenny proof. That girls brain scans are straighter than a ruler, she is brain dead. If there were zombies she would be shot before becoming infected. I'm telling you Bobby nobody is home.

Yeah well she is the owner’s granddaughter and he said she has a job. How she made it through broadcasting school I have no idea. But she can push buttons and does not have plans. End of discussion. You can go bitch in the hall, I have shit to take care of.

Alan got up and messed up the papers on Bobbies desk before hurrying out. He could here Bobby cussing and telling him something about being fired as the door quickly slammed shut. It felt good to push Bobbies buttons too. They had known each other since grade school and were good friends, still a man had to make a stand from time to time...he smirked knowing how bad it irked bobby to have a flutter of papers to go through and re stack.

Today is your lucky day James my man. You sir are going on a serious road trip to a for real haunted house with me! Now shut this shithole down so we can get going.

James liked Alan, he was full of spirit and always had ****ed up stories about dead people to tell, shit you would only know if you were close friends. He didn't have anything else going on tonight so he flipped the sign on the door to Boogers and Basements and killed the lights save for the few he left on to discourage burglars. Like anyone would break into an old comic shop. He really left them on cause Alan said that the place was haunted by David Carodine. Apparently he likes to hang out and read old Archie comics. Can you believe that ****ing kung fu himself digs old Archie books.
    Hey I need to swing by my place before we go.

What you got an XPRS poster you gonna get signed?

Really? You think I am going so I can hang out with those half-wits? I need to check for a package my sister was sending, supposed to be important or something, she did not want it left out or stolen.

No the reason you are going is so you can get some quality time with Miss Merriweather. Alan commences to making kissy faces at his younger friend knowing it bothered him that Alan knew he liked Jenny. Before he pissed him off he punched him and said sure no problem, I do not want to arrive early. So how is mother Theresa of the goths these days?

Ah, she is getting by. Her show over in RavenCroft is taking off. Apparently there is still a market for cheesy horror host shows. Besides you know that is all show. Penny hams it up for her fans, good for business. You might try keeping a few fans. Maybe then you could get syndicated and out of this shit hole.
    And leave all you beautiful people behind?

Alan started the van and headed down the street to James. After that it would be a quick trip to get Jenny and a boring ass ride to lower Henderson County. Home to the closest real haunted house within 100 miles...

Jenny heard the old van long before it was on her street. She had time to grab a few talismans and check to make sure all appliances were off. She acted ditsy but that did not mean she had to be ditsy. Too many irreplaceable items and spell books to let them burn up do to a faulty hair dryer.
    Jenny had worked hard to keep a low profile and slow "bless her heart" demeanor. No one noticed you or took you seriously which allowed Jenny to operate under the radar. This old town was full of bad magic. Not just that but the whole area was a magnet for not just evil but strange things as well. She worked hard to find what was truly going on and who or what was behind it. It helped that her grandfather set her up with a permanent job that kept her comfortable and allowed her time to spend on more important things like tonight's trip.

As Alan pulled the van to the curb Jenny made sure to trip at least once and then pretend to search for the keys she had in her hands before locking up. James from the comic shop was riding shot gun but jumped in the back so she could ride up front. She was not expecting tag alongs but then again you did not know what to expect when working with Alan. He was a little older than Jenny and a nice guy but he did not seem to fit, she could not read him like most people. He was different but she could not place why.

"Alan there is something different about this girl"

Mmm hmmm Alan acknowledged under his breath.

Did you say something? Jenny asked as she was getting in the van.

No just clearing my throat.

"I'm serious Alan she is way off, hiding something."

"Be quiet" Alan hissed

"Did you just tell me to be quiet?"

No I said the ride has been quiet. James usually talks up a storm but quiet as a mouse. Must be nervous about tonight. Seeing real ghosts and all.
    Alan shot the man between him and Jenny a quick look meant to quiet him down. Then he proceeded to pull onto the street, next stop the old Rothchild place in Hendersonville for tonight's meet up with TV stars the XPRS as they shoot their Halloween ghost hunting episode for the wildly popular series. Fun times to be had by all, bring the children Alan thought as he checked the gps one last time.

As they all got situated for the ride Jenny started a conversation with James telling him she was a fan of his sister’s show and telling him she never missed it if she was not working the nights it aired. Alan would insert an agreement or two as if following what they were saying as he was actually spending more time listening to the passenger no one else could see or hear. James seemed happy to be able to get his foot in the door with Jenny and she did not seem as absent as usual. It must be just his perception of her that she is flighty. But then again Casey Casem thought something was off too.
    Alan I gotta tell you it is good to get out of that studio. I spent a lot of time doing voice overs and cartoon voices but nothing beats a live remote. Especially at Halloween. Now I know you can't respond but just listen. I have done some homework on this haunting. I know those flakes from TV will see everything around each corner but I really want you to be careful, I think this place is legit and how those XPRS bozos stumbled across it amazes even me. Most evil will not be found if it does not want to be found. And if it does you can bet it has its own motives. In the old shaggy voice from Scooby Doo Casey finished with" you can trust your old pal Casey on this one."

Alan spent a lot of time with Casey at the studio, it seemed only fitting to bring him along. Though now he was not so sure about James and Jenny. He did not want to get one of his closest friends hurt, nor did he want the simpleton’s well-being on his conscience. If only Casey would have said something before they left.

As they rolled into the driveway gravel popped and spun from underneath the vans old tires. Alan directed the old junker and it bounced along the drive. Alan could tell not many had made house calls due to the limbs and vines reaching across the road. He pulled the van close to the new four wheel drive with the tacky warp job of day glow letters XPRS and a shoddy ghost logo. The XPRS crew were by their other vehicle a suv unloading all sorts of cables and equipment. Jenny struggled with the door before freeing herself to discuss set up and times for broadcasting with the techies of XPRS. Alan stretched his legs and watched Casey Casem meander around the old house as James made his way around the van.

Hey kid you want to score points with the lady you should offer to help set up. God knows she could use it.

What about you?

Ahh, I got to schmooze with captain oblivious of the spook hunters. Get him comfortable and tell him he is great. Maybe get a broadcasting shout out recorded. You work on the genius, maybe get a real date later.

Mick was not hard to find. A grown man with a faux hawk and more designer names on his clothes than a nascar. He definitely stood out in the old homestead setting. Unlike his cronies Mick was not decked out in XPRS logo shirt and cap but wore slim cut affliction shirt with girl jeans bedazzled or some shit on the pocket. In his world he was looking good. In the real world Mick was a sad follower that bought into every fashion trend aimed at teenagers. Like a clown he was sad yet funny to look at.

Alan decided to enjoy this meeting.
    "Sup bro?" Alan asked trying his damnedest to fight back a horse laugh.
    Mick looked up and gave a too cool head tilt back “not much sup?"

#1 TheHainted, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2016
  2. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

Look we've got another talented writer in our midst! I like where you're going with this story, its very interesting. My only gripe would be that any dialogue should be in quotations, not cause I'm being nitpicky, but simply because it makes it easier to read and tell apart from the rest.
    Anyways I hope to see more from you.

3. TheHainted

TheHainted Member

Thank you for the input. Future additions will have better spelling and punctuation :).

4. TheHainted

TheHainted Member

New part should be ready for later this week.