Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Blood attraction?

Discussion in 'Episode 210 - 18 Miles Out' started by Zombie Lover, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Zombie Lover

Zombie Lover Active Member

Ive never read the comics so I'm not sure if this is a moot point. I thought that when the dead reanimate their instinct is to bite. Ive learned from reading the forum that the Walkers don't need to eat, they bite, chew etc because that is their instinct. My question is why did Rick have to lure the cop walkers by cutting his finge and smearing blood (I've only seen that in vampire flicks) wouldnt that walkers "smell" the humans, or at least Rick could have just called out. I don't get the blood thing then Shane repeating it and the walkers near the bus took the focus off Shane for a momment to lick the blood????

2. Zombie Lover

I honestly didn't care for the blood lure myself. Seems really stupid to expose yourself to disease and infection that way. If you had to use blood, bring some along.

I think the smell of people was enough in earlier episodes.

3. boutte

boutte Active Member

They need to start using these things to their advantage. Knowing what attracts them means knowing how to lure them away from places you don't want them to be.

4. Crazydwarf

Crazydwarf Member

This just seemed so silly to me.

How did Rick know that the zombie would react to blood ?
    Why did he need the blood, when the zombie was allready heading towards them ?
    And why would a zombie want to lick some small stationary bloodstain, when a bleeding moving person is in plain sight ?

5. AVC

AVC Member

Crazy, they're all (the zeds) scratching at the door, yet he needs to "lure" them by cutting his hand? I don't see why you would do that.

Think of when the car got rolled. The zed in that scene was trying to shove his head through a hole in the windscreen that was too small.

6. boutte

boutte Active Member

Because it's accessible. In Ricks case it was unnecessary but smearing it on the door frame seemed like it distracted them enough to make it easier to make it easier and safer to stab them.

7. Crazydwarf

Crazydwarf Member

Me neither.

Ah yes, Shane needed the walker to turn his head ever so slightly so he could reach that vulnerable spot on its forehead....
    Sorry I see what youre getting at, but I just don't buy it the way it was presented.

8. Zombie Lover

they are on a farm, perhaps use animal blood?

9. Zombie Lover

I thought the Walker licking the blood instead of focusing on a "live body bite" leaned towards vampire instinct not zombie instinct.

10. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

yeah but even the smell thing has holes. during the herd on the highway they should have smelled them under the cars, unless MAYBE the gas and oil covered it up but that seems unlikely. i agree, the blood bait is stupid. i also find it hard to believe the walkers in the building didnt hear the arguing and fighting and gun shot outside. apparently they need a wrench going threw a window to be alerted

11. Walker Bait

Walker Bait Well-Known Member

Couple of things going on in your post I want to talk about.

First, I don't think the show has ever firmly established whether or not walkers "need" to eat or if it's just blind instinct. I know under Max Brooks rules zombies eat just by instinct without actually needing to, and eventually if they eat enough their digestive tract ruptures. But then think about that walker that Daryl cut into in the woods earlier this season, to see if it had eaten Sophia. The only thing they found in its stomach was a squirrel, but it's a fair bet that walker had eaten more than one squirrel prior to being taken down by Daryl and Rick. Seems to me that indicates the digestive system might remain active and walkers might actually get some sort of energy from what they ingest.

Second, I actually really really liked the blood lure idea. It makes sense that walkers would respond to the normal smell of living people because it would recognize food, but that would become more "excited" by the smell of blood, which is what it's used to smelling as it is actually eating. I liken this to being hungry just seeing a raw steak sitting in marinade but being absolutely famished when you smell that same steak cooking on the grill.

As for Shane using the same technique on the bus, walkers respond to the most immediately stimulus they sense. The walkers sticking their heads inside the door of the bus were closer to the fresh smeared blood on the door frame than they were to Shane (and blood scent > that person scent) so they at least had a taste of the blood because it was the most immediate/strongest stimulus at that particular moment.

As for Rick calling out, on the drive from the farm Rick listed the need for staying quiet as one of the primary reasons for using knives instead of guns for a single walker. Calling out, while not as loud as a gunshot by any means, defeats the purpose of using a quiet method of neutralizing a single walker.

12. z0mbi3 k1ng

z0mbi3 k1ng Member

You might be over-thinking this.

13. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

Jenner's Secret Reveled

They are really really thirsty!

14. John2find

John2find Member

They will be surely attracted by blood. A Shark can smell blood from One mile away.
    And when you talk about fantasy everything is possible.

15. bulldog7926

bulldog7926 New Member

the whole blood smear attracts them is beyond idiotic. i don't know from where this idea came from but if they keep writing stupidity like this then the series is doomed. t-dog was gushing blood on the highway when he was hidden under a zombie corpse INCHES from 3 or 4 walkers that completely ignored him and darrel.

shane cutting himself then stabbing a zombie (in the brain where whatever it is that causes this zombie effect) then cutting himself again with the SAME knife? really?

if a bite causes infection then eventually it must end up in the blood. so if shane does not turn shortly the writers lose a lot of credibility. if they missed it then the only way to atone is to kill shane off anyway.

16. Oface9701

Oface9701 New Member

How isn't anyone understanding? The blood is like a tease. It's like licking the icing off a knife before you devour a big piece of cake.it distracted and aroused them to the point of them bringing their head in close enough for a knife or screwdriver strike lol

17. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

Absolutely!

The one thing you want to do in a survival situation is avoid ALL injuries! The least little injury could prove fatal! You get a blood disease and no antibiotic and you could be pushing up Daisys...or worse.

As for that part in the show, it was marketing scene for Gerber Knives. Those walkers was already headed there way. I also went back and checked the books, the group would wait till a walker got close enough to the fence and stab them with a knive...all without cutting them selves first.

#17 SVTRay, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  18. HockeyMomChris

HockeyMomChris Active Member

I get it and that was exactly how I took it!! Only thing I keep thinking is weird is the whole cut my self after I stab a walker in the head thing.....
    .......then it may not matter, but how would Shane know that???

Oh Lord this is confusing!! LOLOL

#18 HockeyMomChris, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012