Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Bonansinga has some good novels but

Discussion in 'Novels and Paperbacks' started by lastcat3, Sep 24, 2014.

1. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

Bonansinga has written some good novels and the four that are out there right now are definitely enjoyable reads. I have scratched my head a bit when looking at his timeline of events though. I have gotten through the first 50 pages of Fall of the Governor part 2 and in it he just mentioned that Lilly has been in Woodbury for a year and a half. I read that and went "wait a minute no she hasn't she hasn't even been there a year yet."

So I went back to The Road to Woodbury to see exactly when they arrived in Woodbury and it said early December. Presently where I am at in part 2 they are saying it is starting to turn into summer (which I am guessing is around June or so). So that means she has been there about six or seven months and not a year and a half (unless of course a lot of time passes without anybody doing anything or saying anything).

I have seen these timeline inconsistencies in previous books to. In Fall of the Governor part 1 it mentions at the beginning of the book that the zombies appeared over two years ago yet the book takes place just a few months after Road to Woodbury ended and Road to Woodbury supposedly started just a few months after apocalypse deal started.

I then though realized what exactly he was doing. He was basically making the timeline out to be when the first book of the series was released and when a lot of people would have read it. By the time Fall of the Governor part 1 was released it would have been about two years since a lot of folks would have read Rise of the Governor and when the apocalypse was just starting. By the time Fall of the Governor part 2 was released it would have been about a year and a half since a lot of people read Road to Woodbury and Lilly first going to Woodbury.

Did anybody else get a little confused on his timeline deal. I know it's mostly just meant to be open to interpretation and really the only way to tell how much time passed if you are interested in doing so is by the weather and seasons (which they do tend to describe).

Anyways good books and looking forward to the next series he is writing but his timeline did make me wonder if he was checking all his notes at times.

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Yes, a couple of us noticed these same inconsistencies, and more. See my post, #10.

http://www.walkingdeadforums.com/forum/f59/fall-governor-part-2-a-27241.html

3. lastcat3

Thanks,

just got done with the novel and clicked on the link (wanted to finish before I read the thread so I could avoid any spoilers). There definitely were quite a few mistakes. Is it not the authors job to really keep track of all that stuff? Even if it isn't you would think that Bonansinga would be able to keep track of simple things like how long Lilly had been in Woodbury and which eye the Governor lost.

I wonder if the mistakes were a result of the book being released in about half a year instead of a full year like the other three were.

Since the next book is being released only six months after part 2 of Fall of the Governor was hopefully they do a more thorough job of identifying all that stuff.

Still a good book though and looking forward to the next series. They sure are getting a lot of mileage out of a character who was only in the comics for about three pages and was only created likely because Kirkman couldn't decide who he wanted to have kill the Governor.

4. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I have a feeling it had a lot to do with a somewhat last minute decision to rip fans off for 20 bucks and split this already somewhat lean novel into 2 parts. He probably had to come up with a lot of filler last minute to justify the split. And the author should ideally be responsible for keeping his facts straight, but in the end catching mistakes and inconsistencies is the editor's job.

5. lastcat3

I wonder if the whole romance with Austin was filler that he created when the decision to split the book in two was made? Of course though Lilly losing a baby would have given a good explanation for why she flipped her lid when she found out she killed a baby herself. So maybe that was planned all along.