Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Bond 25

Discussion in 'Movies' started by tink, Apr 25, 2019.

1. tink

tink Well-Known Member

2. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

Is he menacing enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. tink

tink Well-Known Member

He can be really creepy sometimes, so I am hoping he can be.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I think Rami could definitely pull it off and be a great villain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

So apparently in the new movie Bond will still be Bond, but won't be 007. The new 007 will be played by actress Lashana Lynch. A bold statement, or cultural appropriation?

"
    The Daily Mail reports that screenwriter Phoebe Waller-Bridge intervened to pass the torch on to the star.

"There is a pivotal scene at the start of the film where M says 'Come in 007,' and in walks Lashana who is black, beautiful and a woman," a Bond insider claimed. "It's a popcorn-dropping moment. Bond is still Bond but he's been replaced as 007 by this stunning woman."

[​IMG]

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/james-bond-25-007-lashana-lynch-report

6. DeadZedHead

007 is a designation. The name Bond may be as well. The name has changed hands before so as long as this isnt a platform to placate a group, im fine with it.

7. Stealth

I'm not a huge James Bond fan, but this wouldn't work for me. It's like when I heard Ben Affleck was playing Batman. I had zero interest in seeing those movies, and still haven't. Also this undercuts the basic premise of the whole 007 persona as it's been built up over the decades. Seems more like a franchise killing move.

Hollywood needs to focus on more original content instead of doing constant retreads or messing up previous franchises. The way Star Wars handled Luke's story in the last film is a prime example of that.

8. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

Cultural appropriation by whom??

9. Morgotha

Cultural appropriation of the white James Bond character by a black person. Yes, it's kind of a joke, but at the same time, it's not.

10. DeadZedHead

James bond wasn’t necessarily white, just British. The most popular British agent was played by a Scott for a long time. There are black Brits so that shouldn’t an issue. There was talk of Idris Elba being bond. I like his work and think it would have been a good fit. I dont know this woman but well see how she does.

11. Morgotha

Ian Fleming has spoken how he envisioned Bond, and the actor he envisioned him as was white. If you've got any quotes from Fleming saying he envisioned Bond as something other than white, I'd like to see them!

Let me ask you something. If they cast the next "Black Panther" character and leader of Wakanda as a white woman, would you think *that* was cultural appropriation? If not, Emilia Clarke would probably do well in the role.

[​IMG]

12. DeadZedHead

There have been may cases where a character has changed appearance or gender when making the jump to the big screen. There is nothing saying spies gave to be white. If Bond is an ageless character with origin stories being reimagined every decade or so, this would be no different.

13. Morgotha

It's fiction, so you can "reimagine" whatever you want. Why not have him be the first mentally handicapped amputee female Navajo secret agent?

Or, you could try and maintain some sort of consistency.

BTW, what about Emily as Wakanda's leader? Are you for or against it?

14. DeadZedHead

If you have a good script, I’m game.

How do you find your way back when you go that far off the rails?

Black panther being black is integral to the character. White Bond isn’t necessarily. Last i heard there are black people in Scotland. Called Afro-Scots(no lie). If the script calls her Scottish, would satisfy you. They would be sticking to source material.

• Like Like x 1
  15. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

Honestly, I agree that it's kind of ridiculous that everybody now needs to be so polite and fair and respectuous of everybody else that we'd need a black James Bond, or female Ghostbusters, and so on... Yes, there's been unequity for a long time, but please just come up with new characters, that wouldn't seem so lazy and lame.

Still, that is not what cultural appropriation is. No matter how hard she'd tried, that actress is not doing anything else than her job and she is not stealing, appropriating or insulting anything or anyone from the "white" or "european" culture by doing so.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Stealth

Idris Elba would've made a good fit as Bond. And that's the thing though for me, the role is ingrained as James Bond, and not 007. So casting a woman in the role isn't a fit within this particular franchise for me. It'd be like rebooting Wonderwoman as Wonderman. Why? Just do another male super hero film. Same thing goes here, just make a completely new spy series.

In general I'm just tired of the constant retread films too. We've had 3 different lead actors as Spiderman in the past 12 years. I've only watched the Tobey Maguire trilogy because it was just all redone too soon for me. I wish Hollywood would focus on more original content than just riding old series into the ground.

• Like Like x 1
  17. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Lots of rumors about who Rami's villain really is. This one looks good though.