Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Books

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hedwig, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I have long been hoping for a book section, but that might never happen. Until then, if anyone would like to discuss pretty much any books at all, just post in here!

Here's some ideas:

Your all time most Beloved Books & Comfort Books
    Favorite current reads
    Characters you may have fallen in love with
    A book or series that altered or affected your life in a notable way, and how
    Best book illustrations
    Favorite Children's authors
    Film and TV adaptions

and pretty much anything else you can think of, fiction or non-fiction

#1 Hedwig, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  2. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

Misread the title. I thought the "k" was a "b".

3. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Sorry to disappoint :/

But now you are in here so you have to say something about a book!

4. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I'll go first!

Currently reading all of Robin Hobb's Farseer, Golden Fool, and Fitz and the Fool series. I messed up badly though; there are three trilogies in this series and all the books have very similar titles, this combined with me running around between the library, and 3 different book stores I accidentally read the first two books of the latest trilogy (Fitz and the Fool) instead of the one in the middle (Golden Fool).
    Big time disappoint. I caught this mess up when I finished the first one (Fool's Assasin), but had already bought the next book and figured I'd already spoiled enough that I may as well read the 2nd one too (Fool's Quest), since I now have to order the Golden Fool trilogy online.

Other all time favorite series:

Harry Potter
    Lord of the Rings
    A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones on TV)

All Time Favorite Books:

Watership Down - Richard Adams
    Finn Family Moomintroll- Tove Jannson
    The Jungle Book - Rudyard Kipling
    A Light in the Attic- Shel Silverstein
    The Last Unicorn- Peter S. Beagle

The Secret History & The Goldfinch - Donna Tart
    Ahab's Wife - Sena Jeter Naslund
    The Thorn Birds - Colleen McCullough

OK That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but if anyone wants to talk about any of these books, hit the thread up!

5. steely

steely Well-Known Member

I used to read alot of Stephen King as a kid. . The stand and salem's lot were my favorites...

I quit reading a while ago. .. i guess i burned out on it... the last book I read was "on killing " by Lt. Col. David Grossman, which is a psychology book but is quite fascinating. .

I've been trying to read again lately, but that's not going very well...

6. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

This'll be my next read. My good friend swears this completely changed her physique, and she is very knowledgeable on health and fitness, so I trust her opinion. I'm starting his lifting program next week. I'm so excited.

[​IMG]

7. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

My book collection varies. I have sooo many "natural healing" books. Books on quantum healing, meditation, dreams, and Edgar Cayce, etc. etc. etc.
    Original, 1st addition Nancy Drew books (6), and some collectors dating back to the early 1900s. Also true stories - Alive, Helter Skelter, and stories about cats.

My non fictions favorites are, of course Harry Potter, Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern, and Jean Auel's Earth's Children.
    I have every book from these collections.
    Dragonriders of Pern, consist of 22 novels, and several short stories. Guides, a book of maps, and a book that lists just the characters. It is both science fiction and fantasy. I think these are my most favorite.
    I fell in love with these people. I dreamed of getting a "fire lizard". Anne and her son (who took over after she died), knew how to draw you into the stories.
    I liked the first 4 from Jean Auel, but her last books, from this series, were kind of repetitive.
    And JK Rowling's Harry Potter. Well, they were able to take me away from reality for a bit. I read Half Blood Prince, in a day and a half.

8. steely

steely Well-Known Member

Wow. .. read much?

9. Sharpie61

Yes

And worse. I don't get rid of them. My bookcase has probably well over 100 books

10. Sharpie61

I just did a google search and Warner Brothers is thinking of franchising Dragonriders, for their next big series. This is great news.

11. steely

steely Well-Known Member

As long as you enjoy them, what's the difference? Edgar Cayce is a fascinating guy...

12. steely

steely Well-Known Member

Outstanding! I thought I'd read that a little while ago. .

13. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Firstly -It sounds like we would get along just great ;)

I love natural healing books as well, and have lots of books on herbs, essential oils, back yard medicine, tea, gardening, etc etc etc.. I am also a yoga instructor so I have lots of yoga texts, stuff on meditation etc.
    We should talk more specifics on these topics!

Oh yes, I forgot about the Earth's Children series, and I fully agree with you. I just looooove the first 3 (even though at times even these ones drag a bit) but yeah the last one (Land of Painted Caves) I found painfully boring. That being said, if she puts out another one I will still read it.

I will have to check out the Dragon Rider's of Pern when I am done with the Robin Hobb books! Id recommend those ones to you if you haven't read them.

And re: the half blood prince- my Dad was awesome and pre-ordered 4 copies of the book so all of us (him & I & my sisters)could read it simultaneously

14. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I read a ton of Stephen King as well, although I didn't read the Salem's lot books. I think it was because his books are so long and detailed, which is usually something I like in a book, but I actually prefer his short stories. Maybe because they are so scary :zombies_shocked:

I had to quit reading them though, because I was starting to get really, really bad nightmares. Actually, TWD was the first horror genre show/movie/books I've consumed in a few years because of it. But the zombie nightmares are always worth it! lol

I will check out On Killing, I love psychology books as well, especially ones about crazy ppl :p

15. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Let us (me?) know how you like it! I need to get back into shape after a very lazy holiday season. I am definitly not a lifter or gym type person- I do lots of power yoga though and dance. But I still love to learn some good practices to do at home. That's awesome you are going to start lifting! Its not for me at all, but I think it's pretty bad ass!

Sweet! I will have to check that out

16. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I've never counted mine, but I've got a few over flowing shelves, plus books all over every surface of my house, as well as the floor. My dream is to one day have a house with enough room for me to turn one room into a libary: Floor to ceiling wooden shelves full of books, with a fireplace and cozy rug, a desk and lots of cozy chairs. One day. (I keep thinking of Belle's library in Beauty and the Beast, that would be the best)

17. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

:) thanks! I've lifted with trainers before, but this'll be the first time I take the reins and manage everything myself. Starting next week I'm also going to be free of sugars (including fruit), alcohol (which isn't that big of a deal for me anyway), and white flour. I'm going to be training alongside a new friend (crush--yikes!) of mine who is doing a body competition in the spring. The only difference in our routines is that she'll be taking supplements and I won't. I'm too nervous to do that, and I've always wanted all of my health endeavors to be 100% natural. I mean the supplements she's taking are natural, she's not roiding up or anything, but I'm not looking to become a beast (that's pretty much impossible for females anyway unless you're actually taking measures to do that). I just love the way lifting makes me feel. I'm overly self-conscious, to a fault, no doubt, and it gives me a lot of confidence. Especially if I can go in there and handle everything myself and not have a man leading me around the weights. Not that my trainer was ever that kind of guy, he was great, but you know what I mean. Probably more information than you cared to know, but I like talking about it. :)

BTW I'm a huge Harry Potter fan as well. I've got all of the GoT books but stopped reading the very first one since it was so much like the show. :/

18. steely

steely Well-Known Member

Some of king's short stories were creepy as hell too... there was even 1 that was a tie in to salem's lot... nightmares were never an issue for me, even at a young age.. I couldn't get enough horror and paranormal stuff... and zombie dreams are fun...

On Killing isn't about crazy people, sorry to say. .. it's about the psychology of taking lives in combat and other self defense situations..i thought it was interesting, but your mileage may vary on that one...

19. steely

steely Well-Known Member

Best of luck with the new workouts.. I'm starting a new regimen this week...

20. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

No no, that's what the forum is for, to talk about what we are into! ;) I love when people are passionate about stuff. Well you have more self control then I do. I don't do well with any form of dietary restrictions, but I'm pretty good at buying mostly healthy food so if it's not in the house, I won't eat it. I know what you mean though about the confidence. I imagine lifting is similar to hand standing, I am obsessed with inversions and am always practicing my headstands, forearm stands and handstands. They give one such a feeling of accomplishment and power, very confidence boosting. I've gotten out of habit though the last 6 months, and I know I would feel much happier with myself if I started again. So this is good motivation!

Yay for HP :) One of my sisters and I (I have 3, we are all obsessed with HP) have had a HP stagette party. Last year me and my 7 year youger sis put it on for the middle sis and it was SO GOOD. I was up in my attic earlier in Dec getting xmas stuff and everywhere I looked was Harry Potter stuff, "Oh, there's the sorting hat! oh there is the dragon's egg, and the house badges, and the tri-wizard cup, oh and over there is the sword of Godric Gryffindor!" I made my day, lol.

I read all the GoT books last year before I started watching the show, but now I am having the opposite problem- can't get into the show because I loved the books too much and can't separate them. I am so distressed that the show is going to catch up to and pass the books right away!