Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Books

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hedwig, Dec 28, 2015.

1. ShaneFan

ShaneFan Well-Known Member

That's awesome! I'm glad you'll re-order the novel. I have to reread it. I have the old movie on DVD, and some parts of it makes me laugh--even parts that are not meant to be funny--like when Stan Uris' wife says "Stanley, I'm coming upstairs to scrub your back!" As a teen, and even now as an adult, that line and the way she said it always had me laughing so hard. Although it is really awful what she finds...so sad and horrifying.

I'll tell you what...I'll rewatch the movie again and start re-reading the book again--so we can discuss it. What do you think?

That's awesome times you and your friend had! Did you save any of the comics you made?

2. DragonRacer

DragonRacer Well-Known Member

So, not entirely sure if this sort of thing is allowed or not because some forums are twitchy about self-promotion.

But I ended up part of a group putting together a science fiction and fantasy short story anthology. Spent the better part of the past eight months working on it and finishing some sort of publishable writing was my New Year's Resolution. Or, well, just getting back into writing at all was actually my resolution... used to write a lot with dreams of authorhood until my Mom passed away a few years ago. That took all the wind out of my sails and I only just now righted the ship again.

I'm pretty excited. Hoping to move on to a novel now. The anthology features two stories each from a total of five writers, so a good 200+ page value for FREE. We just wanna get our names out there, so there's three different eBook formats available for download here: http://dragonscript.net/books/

Let me know if any of you end up grabbing it. I'm T. M. Lowe in there... wrote the Foreword as well as one science fiction story ("What Makes A Man") and one fantasy story ("The Lady and the Dragon").

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I will definitely be checking this out! Congrats!

4. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Congratulations! That's very cool.

5. ShaneFan

[MENTION=107612]DragonRacer[/MENTION] - Wow, that's so awesome! Congrats on getting published! That takes a lot of hard work and persistence. I'm sorry to hear about your mother, and it's understandable that the writing went to the backburner after she passed away. I'm sure she's very proud to see your success in the writing and publishing world. Keep up the wonderful work and much continued success to you!!!

6. tink

tink Well-Known Member

For me, it's when Beverly is talking about the shape-shifting, child-killing monster that is It and says, "Why does he have to be so mean?!"

Absolutely the silliest line ever, and completely ruined the entire mini-series for me.

7. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

The Talisman was my fave too. Just reread it in the last 5 years or so, and then read the sequel. It was fun to see the main character all grown up.

Speaking of SK. I just started the Bill Hodges trilogy. Reading Mr. Mercedes now, and then on to Finders Keepers and End of Watch.

Anyone read these yet?

8. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I read Mr. Mercedes - very good book. I have both Finders Keepers and End of Watch in my pile. Currently reading The Fifth Heart by Dan Simmons.

And I love Jack, both as a kid and as a man. He's one my 10 favorite literary characters of all time.

9. PepperAnn

Jack. That's his name. I suck at character names after it's been a while. lol

I LOVE Dan Simmons. I'll have to look that book up.

10. tink

tink Well-Known Member

It's one of his new "historical fiction" type books that he's been writing lately, where he has historical (or even historical fictional) characters written into his stories. The Fifth Heart has Henry James and Sherlock Holmes traveling to America to solve a mystery.

Drood is another in the same vein, only that has Charles Dickens solving a mystery about the title character of his last, unfinished book (with Drood not being fictional in the story).

The Terror was about the lost Franklin expedition for the Northwest passage, imagined with monsters. It rocked.

Have you read any of those?

11. PepperAnn

Now that I look at his list of books, I realize I haven't read anywhere near the amount of books he's actually written. Only two. Lol
    Summer of Night and Carrion Comfort. But Carrion Comfort is the reason I jumped when you said Dan Simmons. That's why I love him. That is in my top 5....maybe even top 3... books of all time.

12. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Oh I love Carrion comfort, it's such a great book. He goes through phases. He had a horror phase, and a sci-fi phase (the Hyperion books, really good), now he's doing these books. He also had a pulp fiction phase but I haven't been able to find those books.

13. PepperAnn

Wait. I read the Hyperion books too? Jeez, maybe I saw an abbreviated list. I know I know him much more than two books....and that sounds familiar.

Ok I know Carrion was my first Simmons book. And then he intrigued the hell out of me so I looked up his shit.

*goes to google*

14. tink

tink Well-Known Member

15. ShaneFan

[MENTION=8825]tink[/MENTION] - I agree -- that is a really silly line. I found a video of that scene. It's so cheesy. The comment on YouTube says "It's so mean because you tried to kill It, Beverly" which is just as funny. That line and "Kiss me, fat boy!" are so funny...but they're really bad lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erWvhPPZnJs

16. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

I just finished The Kitchen House- beautiful.i have a difficult time reading new books.

i have my heart- my khala

my my khala loved and introduced me to
    Dont, Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight

#116 Prufrock, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  17. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

With the movie coming this weekend- has anyone read Girl on a Train?
    Movie looks good, but I'd love to read before watching

18. Sarah-kate

Sarah-kate Member

I just finished reading the book, it's really good, looking forward to seeing the movie now, although I hope it doesn't annoy me they way book to films movies do argh. I've heard good things about the movie from people I know who've seen it, but yeah highly recommend reading the book first.

19. TheHainted

TheHainted Member

Your all time most Beloved Books & Comfort Books -
    The Talisman
    Favorite current reads -
    The Horus Heresy- Warhammer novels
    Characters you may have fallen in love with -
    ?
    A book or series that altered or affected your life in a notable way, and how -
    Stephen Kings The Dark Tower books. When I found out almost every book of his was tied to this it blew my young adult mind.
    Best book illustrations -
    Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
    Favorite Children's authors -
    John Chandler Harris - Uncle Remus, Brer Rabbit
    Film and TV adaptions -
    Not a huge fan but do like some.

20. Heriot of Fire

Your all time most Beloved Books & Comfort Books: Douglas Adams, Salmon of Doubt & Last Chance To See; Terry Pratchett, A Slip of The Keyboard
    Favorite current reads: Bill Bryson, Tales From A Small Island; Roberto Saviano, Gomorra; John Cleese, So, Anyway
    Characters you may have fallen in love with: Death, Luggage from the Discworld novels and the Troll in Troll Bridge, Zaphod Beeblebrox
    A book or series that altered or affected your life in a notable way, and how: Alf Poier (an Austrian dadaist comedian), Mein Krampf, because it helped me get over me old man's death and made me look at life in a completely different way. Because it really isnt as serious as we all pretend it to be.
    Film and TV adaptions: Definitely The Beach, love both the book and the movie. American Psycho also comes to mind.

#120 Heriot of Fire, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016