Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Books

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hedwig, Dec 28, 2015.

1. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Then if you read The Talisman, you have to follow it up with Black House, which I know many people did not like but I loved it.

Which reminds me I should send another tweet to SK and PS wondering if we will ever see Jack Sawyer again - SK hinted we would see him in the Gunslinger series, but he never showed.

2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I LOVED Black House. I am surprised a lot didn't....why?

3. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I dunno, I thought it was excellent too. I believe a lot of people had trouble relating to the omnipotent narrator of the story. It didn't bother me at all though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I liked both Talisman and Black House, and they both had many tie-ins with the Dark Tower universe, some subtle and some not so subtle.

I just finished a book called Wool, written by a guy named Hugh Howie. He was just an employee at a Book Store when he self published it. Its about a future where the air has become toxic and a community of people live underground in a huge silo shaped structure. They have been down there for over 6 or 8 generations, so no one still alive even remembers what its like outside. Some begin to question their reality.

Its was a neat book, and his writing style flows very nicely.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I read everything of his for years and years, too, and then for some reason I stopped. I think maybe I thought the stories were getting meaner along with being creative and scary.

6. PepperAnn

That sounds like a good book. I think I’ll try it out.

Also The Dark Tower series are the ONLY SK books I haven’t read. And won’t. Lol

7. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I'll look for it! It reminds me of a short story I read back in high school, where they had invented a thing called the Door which transported people from one place to another, so no one went outside anymore, but then one day this kid's Door was broken so he walked to school, and liked it so much he kept walking to school, so they sent out a psychiatrist to see what was wrong with him.

Found the name!! "It's Such A Beautiful Day" by Isaac Azimov

• Like Like x 1
  8. tink

tink Well-Known Member

You haven't read the Dark Tower series!!!???? They basically tie up everything King has ever written, plus great characters and stories in their own right. You must read them, Wendy.

9. PepperAnn

I tried!!! I couldn’t get past the first chapter. Lol

10. Neuropyramidal

The first book is different from the rest. Its written with kind of a surreal quality, kind of like Cormac McCarthy's Outer Dark. Ppl either love it or hate. Get passed the first book [its short] and the rest are written more in the style of a regular fantasy/sci fi novel. I actually liked the first book.

11. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I actually started with The Drawing of the Three, because I happened upon the book before they were released outside of the small-run printing. So I didn't have that issue, and since I wanted to know how Jake got there, the original Gunslinger book was a good read to me once he had them commercially printed.

12. PepperAnn

Ughhhh I might try again. I know I am missing out in what's supposed to be some of his best story telling, it just doesn't interest me enough.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

If you're hungry for SK, reread "The Shining". The Dark Tower Series is all over the place: magic, super science, alternative universes, old west-ish, vampire/demon, including *himself* in the work, the list goes on.

If you're thinking "that sounds like way too many themes to cram into a single series", you're right.

If you don't really care if it makes sense, but just like reading his reading his writing style, they're as good as anything else.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  14. tink

tink Well-Known Member

LIES!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. PepperAnn

I was very surprised at The Shining. I had seen the movie first and was happy to realize the book was VERY different. And very good.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Neuropyramidal

You can get a small taste of it by reading the short story Little Sister of Eluria.

You can also read Wind Through the Keyhole which can be read without reading the rest of the series. Its mostly stories within a story, told by the main character.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

The Shining is the only work of fiction I can say I enjoyed the movie and the book equally, but in different ways. To me it represents the peak of his career.

But whatever you do, do NOT read the sequel he wrote to it, "Dr. Sleep". It was so bad I literally felt like renting a van, driving to Maine, and running him over again.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Neuropyramidal

I'm in the middle of King's newest book right now, The Outsider, while I wait for @Jen7 to finish Wool so we can start the sequel to Wool *hint hint*.

And I gave my friend my copy of Wool to read while he is on an 8 day fishing trip with his dad. A fishing trip in a cabin in Canada that is a two hour boat ride from the nearest town [a town of a population of 150]. He doesn't even like fishing, but he does it for the father/son bonding. He panicked the other day realizing he didn't have a book ready [its either a book or counting the squares in your plaid funderpants. No phone, no TV, and only battery powered light, or so he tells me] so I gave him that one. I was actually really impressed with it, for being written by a book store employee as a self published book. Its now a best seller.

19. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

How i start reading:

[​IMG]

Me after 10 minutes:

[​IMG]

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. Neuropyramidal

You turn into a chain smoking male with a 3:30 oclock shadow?

I think its more like, after 10 minutes....

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3