Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Bug Master List : With work-arounds

Discussion in 'Z1: Battle Royale' started by SeanPWnery, Apr 14, 2015.

1. SeanPWnery

SeanPWnery Member

Bug Master List : With work-arounds - Updated 4/20

Not sure if anyone's posted this, but I'll share my current experiences with bugs and how I got around a majority of them. Enjoy.

Bug 1 : Start-up, loading into game bug - This one SUCKS - I hate it. It's such a royal pain in the ass. This even happened to me last night on my FIRST login of the day. REALLY annoying.

Solution : "End-Task" the game. Open steam Library, go to H1Z1 in library, right-click, properties => Local Files - Verify integrity of the game (this takes some time) Steam will usually find 2 corrupt files, sometimes only 1 and says "They will be re-downloaded." Open game, splash-screen usually downloads a file ~40MB - then try logging in again to your server. If this doesn't work, repeat this. One time I had to do this 4 times before it worked - on a side note, I suspect the game actually DOES let you in, but only on the server side, then after about 20 minutes or so the inactivity timer boots you off server. If that is the case, that would explain so many verify attempts before it let me in the game and the "End task" is what's actually corrupting the two files. Either way, it works for me.

Bug 2 : Energy bleed-off - AKA "Starvation in 30 seconds" - again, kind-of annoying. I thought this might have been caused by food poisoning or stagnant/dirty water causing you to "Throw up" and lose energy ... then I realized it's just a bug.

Solution : Carry about 10 berries. When you get to 0% energy, eat one, and your REAL energy level will appear and start ticking down again. After about 8-10 berries ... this bleed-off seems to stop for a while and come back later... minutes later, hours later, sometimes a full day later.

Bug 3 : Stamina/Fatigue not regenerating - One of the more annoying bugs. Your stamina gets to 0 - it won't regen even when you sit. Can't run, can't always jump. What do you do?

Solution 1 : Common sense, never let your stamina hit 0. As long as there's 1%, you can always press "X" and sit, and tick it back up. Make a habit of sitting in your shelter when you're cooking, or arranging gear. You can still spin around while sitting so you're getting back stamina while doing what you have to do in base. Sit when you've got a minute in safety. This is easy on PvE, a little more challenging on PvP - but it can be done. Try to never let your stamina drop below 20% as a "reserve" in case you have to run like hell from bears, wolves, or other players (40% if you think you have to jump a lot to get away).

Solution 2 : You've hit 0 - well .. shit-on-a-stick huh? Easy fix. Brew coffee, carry at least 1 with you at all times. Coffee will take you from 0 to somewhere in the 20% range on stamina. Making Coffee-with-Sugar gets you into the 30% range. Once you get some back from the coffee, sitting works again.

Bug 3 : Invisible Zombie Attacks - This one's the most annoying of all IN-game (Login bug is the most annoying bug of all). You're in a fight, you kill a walker standing in front of you, he drops. No zombies in the immediate area, no sounds. Suddenly your hit indicator says you were attacked from whatever direction. You turn to face it... nothing there. What the hell? Is the Undead-ghost of Patrick Swayze attacking you? No. Another bug.

Solution : Not really a solution, but it's something you can do to "light that f**ker up" and see your attacker. Take the hits - heal when you can. Wait for the chance that the zombie grabs you to try to bite you ... when he does, hit Q to push him off. As soon as that animation of the Zombie trying to grab you begins, he's lit, and will stay visible until you kill it.

Those are my 3 - if you have others, try to follow this format and add yours below. (Can you tell I've done this before for other games?) ;)

PS - Feel free to Sticky this thread if more and more bugs and solutions are listed in this thread to keep the new folks informed on the front page.

#1 SeanPWnery, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2015
  2. SeanPWnery

SeanPWnery Member

Bug 4 : Too many Zombies in a given area - We all wanted more zombies to kill, sure - the problem is the concentration of them in populated areas is ridiculous. Follow me here, this isn't a complaint about the total number when I'm done explaining this. The more zombies walking around, the more animations that have to happen simultaneously. I'm running a pretty serious rig here - i7, 24 gigs of ram, and a pair of GTX-770's and after 30 minutes or so, I'm down to 20 fps. It's not a ram leak .. maybe a GPU memory one. There's SO many walkers animating that it grinds to a halt and eventually the game crashes. I literally just died of lag tanks to a zombie horde on a 150mb connection because the engine couldn't keep up and delayed notifying me of my damage intake. :mad:

Then we go back to Bug #1.

Solution : Increase zombie spawns in the fields a little, reduce the town-zombies a little. Balance it out - your engine clearly can't handle this many.

3. THESEVENSGUY

THESEVENSGUY Guest

Good post.

I have overclocked i7 950, 12 gigs ddr3 ram, 2 gtx660 and 50-60 frames is a non issue. Never crash, run some system maintenance. Turn off as many outside programs as possible.

#3 THESEVENSGUY, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  4. tamashiiken

tamashiiken Member

Hehe, both your rigs are better than mine, but I haven't had this problem yet, and I am running an amd system (most games are poorly optimised for amd), might be something on your system sean (fps problem)

Thanks for the work arounds too, didnt know about a couple of those ;)

#4 tamashiiken, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2015
  5. THESEVENSGUY

THESEVENSGUY Guest

Start up bug

Tom Schenck (Technical Director) commented on H1Z1 Loading screen issue
    /u/CyclesMcHurtz

2 hours ago
    There is no one cause for this. You only see one effect (the loading screen stays up) but there are several causes. In some cases, it it still loading files, other times it may be waiting for a response from the server, or it could be genuinely stuck. We've found that all three of these cases happen in small amounts.

We put out a small patch yesterday to try to mitigate part of the issue, and there are some other things we're looking at as well.

6. SeanPWnery

SeanPWnery Member

Update : 4/20

Bug 5 (Not exactly a bug, but buggy mechanic) : Metal gate closing on Tampered Foundations (especially) & Deck Foundations - This is rather annoying - especially on tampered foundations. You open the door from the outside - nice and easy - and you have to do this crazy dance walking backwards most of the time to close the gate. This is especially difficult on Tampered foundation bases. Most of the time I'm standing outside, looking up at the gate after several approaches to it JUST to get the "Press [E] to close" prompt, then have to run like a mad bastard to keep up with the door to get inside. The same goes with deck foundations, just not nearly as extreme (the walk-back method typically works). This could be a growing problem when you're running to base, and someone just happens to be shadowing you and walks right in when your back is turned while you're frantically trying to close the gate.

Solution : It's so simple, it's stupid; Pull rope or chain on the inside. So you enter your base the way you do now, walk in, and immediately to the left or right of the gate is a Rope/Pulley or a Chain/Windlass you can simply walk up to, get the "Press [E] to Close" prompt without having to approach it several times, and close your gate with ease. Now you don't have to stand outside of the tampered foundation and do the "run-in" just to close your gate. Now you've got less chance of a shadowy figure sneaking into your base while you're trying to close the gate either.
    • Add 10 scraps of cloth and a log to the recipe for the metal gate if you want to do the Rope/Pulley solution (or)
    • Add 10 scrap metal and a metal bar to do the Chain/Windlass style
    Share your thoughts below...you need this... we all do. You know it! :D

#6 SeanPWnery, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2015
  7. SeanPWnery

SeanPWnery Member

Update : 4/22

Bug 6 : Major Vehicle Bugs - This one is multi-faceted so I'll try to hit them up categorically. (will color each point separately for ease of reading/spacing)

1. Off-Roader (Jeep), and Police Car both have a nasty habit of clipping through the tampered foundation and getting stuck there. I'm about 99.9% certain that the Off-Roader I had, actually clipped through the foundation and clipped again and fell "through the earth" and was lost that way. The Police Car can clip through the foundation to a point where if you enter the car, you can't get back out (the "trapped" buzzer since the server cannot determine a usable exit for you will sound) unless you drive into a structure in your base to smash the car back upwards onto the foundation floor again.
    2. Vehicles have a nasty tendency to "wander" with no one inside them. You can literally park a Truck, an Off-Roader, or a Police Car in a specific part of your base, walk away, come back 10 minutes later and it's slightly moved to one side or another, or even clocked in a slightly different orientation. After this happens several times, your vehicle can literally wander around your base. The worst part? Sometimes it can wander into a structure or if you have another vehicle, into those... which leads to the next part...
    3. I'm in a "compound" type base with 7 people, and we've collectively had 2 vehicles in the base. We all decided to scavenge but leave them secured in the base-walls. After an hour or so of wandering around looking for stuff, we came back, opened the gate, and lo-and-behold, the truck was upside down on the roof. The health wasn't ticking down, no one was in the base to obviously flip it over in almost the exact position we left it in (remember the creeping around bug previously mentioned). We can only speculate that the server is bugged in some way updating the position of artifacts on the map, including vehicles and by doing so is constantly twitching and adjusting the position of the vehicle to the client-side. In doing so, it collides with the structures or other vehicles causing them to "turn over" without blowing up. REALLY annoying and damn near impossible to get them flipped back over.
    4. This last one just happened today for the second time and I'm convinced it's a bug as we actually had someone in our group stay in the base the entire day just working on crafts and things the remainder of the group would bring them materials for. They were within an eye-shot of the vehicles for most of the day and our base has been "Without visitors" for over 10 days (meaning it's remote enough where the random wanderer has yet to even appear). Ever have a car just ... vanish? How bout, 2 cars? How bout.... 5 cars? Yeah - imagine my surprise when I get messages throughout the day that people in my group found several vehicles and brought them all to base nice and discreetly. Imagine my horror when I hear an hour and a half later after they were all carefully parked that they all just vanished into thin air! No explosions, STILL no visitors to the base, and as far as the base-homemaker today can attest to - no hackers fly-hacking around the map and landing inside the compound. Cars, are simply disappearing. I can only assume they sunk into the foundation and dropped through the earth like the lone Off-roader in my first example.

These are fairly serious issues. Vehicles are in the game for a reason, and there has been no announcement as to how they might become less "hoard-able." I know it's frustrating not being able to find one, but when you do, especially if you've followed the spirit of this game and built a "group" of over half a dozen people to collectively share 1 or 2 .. I don't really consider that "hoarding" vehicles. I mean, if you had 5 guys, and they had Ahkmed's Used Car Emporium with 30 cars in a single base, then yeah, I'd find some room to raise an argument but I think honestly 2 cars for 7 people, when a few of them are always on at some point in the day - not so bad. Building good, secure bases, and being able to protect your assets is paramount in a "survival situation" but to have those assets abducted into thin air without any logical reason ... that's a bug. That's a pretty serious bug indeed.

Solution : No earthly idea. Devs need to look hard and deep into the clipping issue through the foundation first and foremost. If it is found that vehicles are indeed clipping through the earth below the foundation, it needs to be rectified post-haste.

#7 SeanPWnery, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2015
  8. SeanPWnery

SeanPWnery Member

Update : 4/24

Bug 7 : The Steam Overlay, or the LACK of one for some players - M'yep ... I'm one of them. I've brought this up numerous times and it has yet to have been resolved via the steam community. I own several dozen steam-downloaded games and yes, I'm very aware of the "Enable overlay" option/checkbox in the properties of each game - as a matter of fact, I even make non-steam games shortcuts in the game so I can use the overlay feature. This is a rather frustrating issue because without the overlay, we're unable to open a browser without alt-tabbing, which can be used to load up recipe guide pages and the H1Z1 interactive map so they're readily available. Having to alt-tab also leads to Bug #8...

Bug 8 : Volume change after alt-tabbing, AKA "OH MY GOD MY BLEEDING EARS! MAKE IT STAHP!" - This pretty much speaks for itself. You play the game with certain volume levels through your speakers, you probably play the game with those settings dramatically lower when you're wearing your headset (it's simple logistics, speakers farther, volume higher - headset on, speakers are practically right against your ears).

Example : I play the game with my speakers at about 60% master volume, but only 12% through the headset (currently using Razer Chroma's but have used Tiamats, and Logitech G35's before with same settings in the past). Imagine the shock and horror when you alt-tab at 12%, go back INTO the game and BAM! 100% - Speakers cranked to 11. You basically rip your headset off and throw them against the wall.

Solutions :

Bug 7 - no clue, it doesn't effect everyone, but it does effect SOME of us, and that some is enough to warrant further investigation. This is the ONLY game I play that has this issue so I can't suggest where to begin looking.

Bug 8 - After cursing out the game and getting your hearing back, the "temporary workaround" is to press ESC to open the game menu. Click the settings button so it accesses the tabbed window. Once there, you can press ESC again to close everything. The game "Resets" the audio settings back to your pre-set option (in my case back to 12%). Every time you alt-tab in/out of game, be prepared to do this - the volume will max out every time you go back into game.

Now imagine, I have to alt-tab at first because my Nvidia temperature beep is going right into my ear at 180 decibels thanks to the heat mirage/smoke effects cooking my relatively modern GTX-770 when the GPU hits 80* C (something it should NOT do - even Skyrim's fire effects don't do this at max everything, why should H1Z1's?) - now I'm tabbed out waiting for that beeping to stop (usually 3-5 seconds and the GPU is back down to 58* C instantly - then alt-tab back IN game to have the games sounds deafen me a second time. Not pretty.... not pretty at all.

I should also note - these two bugs are the longest-running ones I've put up with since I've gotten this game. I've quietly sat by hoping that each new update would address these things - and so far, they have not. Now, I'm basically calling these bugs out so hopefully they'll get some well-needed attention.

#8 SeanPWnery, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2015
  9. search543

search543 Member

hmmm sounds serious bro... tbh the only real bugs i encounter that are gamebreaking for me, keep in mind i play on Chomp (Hardcore server with low-med pop):
    1. not being able to use door in base ---> me being stuck in room
    2. basic hacking ---> death once or twice
    3. death to zombie hoards running through closed doors...

10. SeanPWnery

SeanPWnery Member

Strange Saturday-Patch-Fixes Update...

Bug 5 Revisited (the difficulty closing doors issue on bases) - appears to be resolved. I can only assume the devs increased the prompt radius for the doors to make them easier to close. Kudos for that.

Bug 7 Revisited (lack of steam overlay) - I *had* a steam overlay for 6 hours today. Then while I was driving a truck with 2 friends in it, game crashed - the truck went up into the air for them with me in the driver's seat right up until I d/c'd on the server-side. As soon as that happened, the truck dropped like a stone and they died. They said it took them 6 full seconds of free-fall before dying - that's how high they were in the air. When I logged back in after verifying files, no steam overlay again. :(

It was nice while it lasted though.

#10 SeanPWnery, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
  11. Makaza

Makaza New Member

12. SeanPWnery

SeanPWnery Member

Post 5/1 Update

Bug 8 : "Sinking Cars" - Kind-of self explanatory. Off-roader and Police Cars seem more affected by this glitch (never seen the Pickup do it - Edit 5/5 : I've seen two do it in someone else's base now). They tend to "sink" into the tampered foundations if left alone for say 5-10 minutes, where they sometimes become stuck to a point where they cannot be set free to be driven. I might have touched on this earlier in this thread with a theory about how they would continue to sink into the ground completely and "vanish" however the cause of this is still obviously unknown.

#12 SeanPWnery, May 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2015
  13. SeanPWnery

SeanPWnery Member

Not sure if it was a bug, or change or whatnot - just an observation.

Vehicles seem a LOT easier to lose... as in they blow themselves up way easier than before for the dumbest reasons (i.e. getting out and watching it twitch around and collide into something and explode).

There is a positive to this however - people who cry about car hoarding have a LOT better chance of finding a car now. I literally ran by a known car spawn 5 times and got the same Offroader 5 times in 2 days. Wondering why I needed the same Jeep 5 times? Read above! :p

14. TheZZZ

TheZZZ Member

Last night I was making an ammo run to the police station and came across three vehicles stashed in the woods, thankfully I had friends playing with me, and we ran back to our base and got the batteries and sparkplugs required to take them...

We parked them under our foundation on the tampered ground and one of them sank.. When trying to take them out from under the base, the car just up and exploded, took me out, and all the other vehicles... bug???

15. SeanPWnery

SeanPWnery Member

Yeah that's happened to me before too, both before and after the latest update.

There's something slightly screwy about the tampered foundations and the terrain underneath them. Also there's that collision model issue with the base gates and even foundation pillars or other structures. I'm pretty sure by now they have to be aware of it by now and just need time to figure out what causes it.

16. SeanPWnery

SeanPWnery Member

Bug 9 : Car-killer ... Handcuff keys o_O : Pretty gnarly issue here. Yesterday I was driving around on a dirt road with two people in my squad in an Off-roader. During any and all elevation and terrain changes, I naturally take my foot off the gas so-to-speak and decelerate nice and easy to and through the anomaly on the map. This example was a slightly offset downhill to a bridge that had an offset elevated "ramp" to the flatter run of the bridge.

Just before hitting the bridge, the Jeep literally flipped over end on end and inevitably blew up. Great... some fuel and a few loots gone, as well as a LOOOONG walk to anywhere. The map didn't render a single thing at the point of impact, and my group ran northward while I ran east towards the center of the map to look for another ride.

About an hour later I'm retracing my steps in a Pickup to collect my squad-mates and as I pass by the area where the Jeep flipped; I literally crawled the truck around the area. Sure enough I found the culprit. A bag... a tiny bag almost the same color as the dirt road. I'm 99% sure it wasn't rendered the first time in the Jeep, but sure enough there it was, just to the right of center of the dirt road.

So I get out, and proximity spot it. "Handcuff Key"

ARE YOU SERIOUS?! It sat there the entire time as an object until someone drove by and hit it. It continued to sit there until I proximity-spotted it. About 60 seconds after I proximity-spotted it - it finally de-spawned.

That means the key will literally sit there on the map until someone spots it, or picks it up - but until either one of those happen, it'll be a permanent fixture. It's obvious someone planted it there deliberately for the sole purpose of flipping vehicles. The placement was perfect for it - kudos to whoever figured out this little bug, and used it in such a way to destroy potentially a hoarder's ride.

Note : The location of the bag and where my Jeep flipped was VERY close to a base where someone the day before narc'ed out a "clan" of vehicle hoarders. My squad went up there to investigate and sure enough the "base" was incomplete and all their 10 or 12 vehicles the narc pointed out were already long gone, either stolen or destroyed.

Solution : Verify the keys will despawn in the standard amount of time - even if placed on the ground, remove it's ability to act like a physical barrier. It's a KEY - it's flat, it's not going to flip over a 3 ton truck or a 2 ton Jeep! It technically doesn't even need to be in a bag! Color the key a shiny brass color so if it's on the ground, it'll be a bit more obvious to a passer-by should they want to pick it up.

#16 SeanPWnery, May 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2015
  17. SeanPWnery

SeanPWnery Member

Post QoL Update/Hotfix 5/9 :

Bug 10 : Sinking Cars Expanded - This vehicle sinking thing is getting a little out of hand - it's been going on a long time and it seems like the cause has yet to be identified. I've got a workable theory on it.

A friend and I were talking about this and he raised an interesting point - it may have something to do with the render order. Sometimes when you're travelling you may notice certain parts of bases will "appear" before the walls, or before the doors, or even the foundation. It would seem that the render order is all out of whack. In the case of the vehicles sinking and exploding for no reason, it would stand to reason that the order is something like - Vehicle, various base-parts, then tampered foundation last. Because the order puts the non-movable objects AFTER the moving one, the car always gets "Thrown" into places where it may not be "allowed" to be once the more permanent objects render in. Because of the disallow - the car simply explodes to keep the server's parameters for items on screen happy.

Solution : If this theory is sound, and the reason is actual - then the solution seems rather simple - code it to where moving objects are rendered in LAST. This way everything that should be there will be there first, and the moving object will appear last to not be stabbed by a pillar from a foundation or buried by the last-render-tamper foundation. Tweak the rendering-order.

#17 SeanPWnery, May 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
  18. SeanPWnery

SeanPWnery Member

Post 5/15 Update :

Bug 11 : The Gate of Death - Awesome update... thanks for making killer gates. I walked up to my base gate to drop off a few things, and to pick up my Truck to start the day with a part of my group this morning. Open the gate.... dead.

The gate swung open, pushed me and killed me instantly. Awesome. Gate was left wide open - took me 15 minutes of respawning and running to find my stuff gone... truck gone, gate wide open.

Fantastic. So basically a gate can now one-hit kill you, or instantly destroy a vehicle if it touches it during the opening/closing sweep.

Solution : FIX THE GATES BACK TO THE WAY THEY WERE! :mad:

19. SeanPWnery

SeanPWnery Member

Post 5/27 Bug Update :

Riding Shotgun : the view is all over the place. Someone in my group decided to sit in the back seat of the Jeep because he was privy to motion-sickness of the view bobbling around something terrible.

Possible Solution : There was nothing wrong with the original passenger-seat view ... go back to that and simply move the hands/weapons to the 6 o'clock of center position.

20. TeX

TeX Administrator
    Staff Member

Great thread. Posted on Twitter.