Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Call backs, easter eggs and homages

Discussion in 'Episode 1008 - The World Before' started by Dnae, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

This episode was chock full of call backs, easter eggs, and homages

First lets talk about that scene of Gabe burning Dante's body. I was struck by this moment. As it played out I was brought back to the scene in episode 601 when Gabe is found digging a grave for Pete Anderson and upon seeing this Rick says "Don't. We don't bury killers inside the walls" I thought this was a great call back

Second. On The Talking Dead it was mentioned that Gracie wears a glove on her left arm just as Aaron wears his metal arm. I did not notice this but what a great way for Gracie to honor her Dad.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  2. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

My mercy prevails over my wrath

I am in the camp that Michonne was remembering this passage as one that Siddiq would recite.

It was Carl who first over heard Siddiq saying this in the season 8 premiere. So while Rick did quote him while under the tree season 8 finale it was initially Siddiq who quoted from the Qur'an

• Like Like x 4
  3. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

And the best call back IMO:

In season 10 episode 1 Magna and Yumiko come upon a camp that was obviously overun. We see an unclothed body. In episode 8 we then see Dante' hit a man over the head and he then is seen removing his shirt.

In episode 1 during that same time of seeing the body we also see a skin that has been left on a log
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Fast forward to episode 8 and we now find out how that skin came to be on that log:
    [​IMG]
    Dante is wearing the shirt of the man he knocked out and seconds later we see him removing his skin vest and tossing to aside.

He also removed and tossed his mask. We see a creek nearby. Is this the mask that washed ashore in episode 1?

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 3
  4. mistertrouble189

mistertrouble189 Well-Known Member

Wow! That was great! Good job spotting this!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

The licence plates too, Aaron collected them for Eric.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I did not notice the Gracie Arm nor did I put together the skin. Partly because I'm out of town right now and lacking the benefit of DVR, or even a medium to large size television that has the ability to rewind. I also wasn't able to watch TTD this week, and won't until I get home after Thanksgiving. So this may be the reason I'm also not sure WHY Dante knocked the man out. I'm not too clear on why the plan to befriend a small group and then "discover" ASZ with that group involved knocking one of the group members out? To get his shirt?

As for another Easter Egg though, several times since early S9 Daryl has been seen with a very pale orangish backpack that looks almost like it could be THE Orange Backpack, faded and dirty after years of use, but its never quite shown at an angle where I can be definitely sure that its OB. It was in the episode tonight, tied to his bike, but again, I couldn't tell. I believe it is OB because at one point during the filming of S9 someone tweeted a photo of what I'm 95% sure was OB, sitting on the set. The clean, recognizeable version. So, unless I hear or see evidence to the contrary, I think we still have OB.

• Like Like x 2
  7. fylimar

fylimar Active Member

Wasn't Ezekiels remark about Siddiq (I thought, he is one of the people that live forever) a hint at Siddiqs comic fate?

8. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

We also had Michonne talking about keeping in touch with Judith on the walkie talkies as Morgan and Rick did when they parted in Season 1.

• Like Like x 3
  9. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Yeah I totally would have missed all of that had it not been for her assessment and a rewatch. LOL

10. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

This confused the hell out of me too. Lol

11. WillyJakkz

WillyJakkz Active Member

I thought it was implied Dante not only knocked the man out but killed him as well (hence the clothes and walker mask). Why would he knock a guy out and risk being discovered as the culprit vs killing him and skinning the body?

Great call backs btw as I was very curious about the my mercy prevails over my wrath line as I associate that with Rick moreso than Siddiq as I didn't recall Siddiq saying it! Awesome stuff!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Neuropyramidal

It was my understanding that he killed him too, but I can't think of a logical reason why. The walker face that he put on was a rotted one, not fresh. He could kill any walker to get a mask. And why would he need the guy's clothes? He had his own clothes on lol. Why risk others recognizing the clothes? I might just need a rewatch, but this part eludes me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. WillyJakkz

WillyJakkz Active Member

Terminus Syndrome maybe? Those heathens were wearing Rick's group clothes and they were in storage for all of an hr lol

I just feel he would kill him vs risking the guy waking up telling his group (if were a part of a group) "Yeah someone snuck up behind me then knocked me out" as his group then eyeballs Dante.

Also there wasn't a clear distinction of how much time passed when Dante ditched his walker garb when he happened upon that group prior to entering ASZ. It was a condensed flashback sequence.

14. Neuropyramidal

Yeah, if you're going to knock him out you better kill him, but I'm stuck at the logic of why knock him out in the first place? He was tasked by Alpha to find a small group, live with them for awhile, and then "discover" ASZ. So, he comes across a guy carrying wood [someone likely part of a small group], and then.......

Knocks him out???

Why not just introduce himself? Or follow him to find his group and then do the fake being chased by walkers thing. Why would he finally find another living being [which was his whole task in the first place], and then kill him for a skin and mask? Especially since Alpha had all kinds of masks. I think he ditched his walker garb at the exact moment he met that group. He took it off so the walkers he was walking with him would recognize him as a human and thus we have the fake chase scene.

The only conclusion that makes any sense I think [and very little sense, really] is that he killed him for a mask/skin. I think that was the intention we are to believe. Which doesn't work for all the reasons above, but it is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. WillyJakkz

WillyJakkz Active Member

Ok I think I see what the issue is.

I think they showed him knock the guy out because that's how he got the drop on him. Then they showed him seemingly kneel down or whatever off screen. I took that as he was finishing the guy off off camera vs showing him actually killing him as I thought the inference was there.

So instead of showing an extended scene of Dante following the guy then knocking him out then killing him I think it was just edited it in a way to where the conclusion could be drawn.

Not saying any of you are wrong, that's just how I interpreted the scene.

• Like Like x 2