Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Call of Duty Elite shutting down + "Final Stats"

Discussion in 'Call of Duty & FPS News and Discussion' started by PSIII, Feb 28, 2014.

1. PSIII

PSIII The Real West Don. (Super Moderator)
    Staff Member

http://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Call-of-Duty-Elite-Shutdown-FAQ

How stupid. They announce this big service, get a bunch of hype for it, get tons of money from the premium subscription, basically amass a ton of users, then kill it for no reason down the line without even having a suitable replacement out for it. Better hope Treyarch continues to carry the Combat Record and maybe the other two studios will finally include one.

Their reasoning for closing it is that it was designed for the older games. Mhm, yeah, you honestly couldn't port it over to the new games, Activision? They are pushing the new app which is pretty crap really. No stats at all apart from the basic stuff (overall KD, Win %, hours, preferred weapon, and win streak...). The class editor is not great (but finally functional with the recent update and you can work on all your soldiers), and other features are somewhat limited as well. But the main issue is the limited stats.

When Elite shuts down, everything tied to it goes as well. That includes all clans registered on it. Kind of a huge deal for those who still play MW3 and BO2.

You still keep your MW3 DLC of course and the founder crap if you got those.

BO2 also has the recent match feature, so no real biggie there. The stats are a loss for sure, but just killing the clans like that is a dick move (not that I care much for clans on that game, others still do however).

With that, I decided to go check out my final numbers for MW3 before the service closes. My final stats, if you will. It's not the last time I'll play it, but I won't be playing it much. Been like that since Ghosts came out.

I posted some kill figures a year ago here when I put the game down. Got back on it during the summer and put on quite a bit more hours. Decided to gold some guns, completed some challenges, get MOABs, then scramble before Ghosts released. It's sorta fun to see the differences in your weapon stats between time periods. Spent much more time on the game than I thought I was going to...

Doing this for fun and at least so I can have this posted somewhere since Elite is going.

-General Stats-

-Primary Weapon Performance (kills above 500)-

-Secondary Weapon Performance (kills above 200)-

So yeah, Elite dead, yadda yadda, blah blah blah.

2. Wartyger

Wartyger Moderator
    Staff Member

CoD Elite was an experiment aimed at squeezing a few more dollars out of the loyal, die hard CoD fans. It failed, so this closure of the service isn't a surprise to me...

3. PSIII

Staff Member

Oh, it didn't fail. Two million paid subscriptions. A hundred million dollars taken if that much was paid in full. They probably realized it was a better choice to have the stats free for BO2 now. The new app is the replacement.

For the most part, it was still a better deal for us than the simple season passes for BO2 and Ghosts. The service and the DLC before everyone else.

That launch was the biggest mess ever though, haha. So glad I didn't cop mine until after that fiasco. That's what they failed in. The consistency and the scheduling of drops. Advertising the service will go on and each subscription is a year. Then having to mess things up due to circumstances.

4. Wartyger

Wartyger Moderator
    Staff Member

For a quick financial gain, I agree, it wasn't a failure. But if it was a success, why are they offering everyone a free app, instead of continuing the service? That's how I look at it...

• Like Like x 1
  5. PSIII

Staff Member

That'd another way to look at that. Same question as the BO2 one.

Anyways, there's no way to be sure unless Activision reveals the answer. They got the huge userbase itself, the the money. There was really nothing stopping them from continuing it the same way every year. Offer it with the entire DLC package. A slew of people always get the season passes.

Regardless of how good or bad Elite might have been, there would have been less people buying the premium for BO2. It was new in MW3. Everyone was excited and the DLC sweetened the deal.

The new app seems to be more of its successor than its replacement (well, same thing really). So it's not dead, just moved on.

They are probably shutting it down to save resources. Like Craptendo is doing with Wifi on the older systems.

#5 PSIII, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2014
  6. WrestlinFan

WrestlinFan New Member

Wow, that honestly doesn't surprise me. Activision would pull something like this.

7. kaitheteen

kaitheteen Member

Yeah this didn't really surprise me. Activision is a money-hungry company that would shut anything down if it wasn't giving them enough money.