Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

camouflage

Discussion in 'Episode 211 - Pablo & Jessica' started by bula412, Sep 13, 2016.

1. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

Does it bother anyone else how lazily the characters in FTWD accomplish the camo tactic seen in the original series. In TWD, characters literally cover themselves in zombie guts to attain the desired camouflage to walk among the dead. In Fear, the characters basically just smear some blood on their face and they can just walk around freely. I've been on this forum sporadically for years and I'm not one to levy complaints about any TWD property (although I believe I have mentioned this in other posts about this show) but it was pretty egregious this past episode. Madison and Strand basically walked around in zombie black-face with no threat whatsoever. They barely even got any blood on their shirts. Does the smell of human only come from the face in this universe? I tried not to let it bother me, but it just seems lazy to me and cheapens the original idea presented on the original show.

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I've always thought the camouflage idea was the black sheep of the family, even on TWD. It stretches my disbelief a bit in general. The idea that the ONLY difference that the walkers acknowledge between themselves and the living is the living's lack of stink? If that was the case, then why do walkers head towards survivors aggressively, even when they see them in the distance, outside the range of smell? Or why do they try to attack survivors that are on the other side of a window or a closed door? The reason, to me, is because the walkers pick up on many more differences between them and the living. The way they move. Their behavior. They can tell. So when Strand and Madison do something like swing their legs over a bar to get to the otherside, they should immediately go into attack mode.

Even TWD stretches this a bit. During No Way Out, Rick and others exhibited many mannerisms that would single them out as being part of the living. They talked, they gestured and moved in living human ways. The walkers should have been all over them, even before they finally did attack. Walkers don't stand for 30 seconds deciding what to do when they see a survivor through a window. They go there immediately. They should also attack camouflaged people immediately, unless those people stay perfectly in fake-walker mode.

I feel the same way about Michonne's walker pet tactic. She still exhibits human mannerisms at times while walking with them, and they should attack her immediately.

3. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

To me TWD does a far better job at using he walker camo, because when in walker camo and covered with guts they at least try not to make any obvious "human movements". This isn't always the case in the show and in the Walker Apocalypse of S6 with Rick walking around with Jessie's family, all of them technically should have been eaten - Michonne sword swing, the gun shot and so on, within that proximity of Walkers.

But I can live with all of that as much as I can live with the idea of reanimated corpses to begin with.

I object to how sloppily it's being used on FTWD. With Nick they showed him covering himself with guts and not making any absurd human like movements, so that wasn't atrocious yet.

But these these recent episodes... and in particular when Nick and the girl pinned the walker to the board with knives with all of the walkers in the vicinity watching, only to put on a little bit of Walker dressing....

The Walkers ignored them right after they smeared some blood on their faces, including the who they attacked and pinned to the wall to retrieve the blood from!

So if a horde was chasing you and you stopped to put a little blood on yourself, they'd just cease seeing you as food?

We're seeing some improvements in FTWD from the dreadful bits mid season, but they've got to do better on the details than this.

4. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Walker sight is obviously severely degraded to human sight, with the more decayed walkers being almost blind...

But they don't breath, so their sense of smell is acute?

5. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

I do agree that the whole idea is a little off base to begin with, but at least on TWD they attempt to rationalize it by staying quiet, moving slowly, and covering their entire body in guts. They stretched it some with michonne's bodyguards and the extended dialogue in the season six mid season premiere. FTWD however has used the camouflage technique as much in this season alone as TWD has in 6 seasons. Not only that, they have done it poorly and cheapened the entire concept. Dare I say it, but it is LAZY WRITING and poor execution. The worst part is that they still have, what, 4 or 5 episodes left. How many more times will they beat this dead horse? At a certain point, it could hinder the progress of the original series. Especially if they plan on introducing the whisperers at some point.

6. Poppy

Poppy Member

I agree.
    This bothered me.
    They casually got off the bus, and walked through the court-yard, where she pinned that walker to the wall.
    Then they had a casual discussion, as walkers slowly started to come towards them.

I had to go back and take a look at how little "make-up" as she called it, they put on.

Really, hardly any at all!

Later when Nick and the girl were walking back with two carts of water, their faces were completely clean.

Once again, I'll blame the Director, for not getting the most out of the writing. He should have been jumping up and down, screaming at the actors... no no no... you don't just smear a little blood on yourself, you have to engulf yourself! Wrap intestines around your neck! etc.

7. Gordian Knot

Gordian Knot Member

Cannot disagree with any of these complaints. Guess it is the old slop effect going on here for me. FTWD has been so sloppy with their plots and directing that these scenes didn't even bother me as it didn't rise to a level of dumbness that I have seen in other episodes.

8. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

AGREED!!! When Luciana and Nick were going to the Cartel Grocery Store it bothered me the most. Luciana's face looked like she was fixing to play football and that's about it.

I personally like that they are using this tactic more often in Fear, but jeez if you are gonna do it.....do it all the way instead of half-assing it.

9. Pogo the Possum

Pogo the Possum Active Member

This is why there are no walkers in Norway . They were chased out by the lutefisk.