Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Can Negan find redemption?

Discussion in 'Episode 912 - Guardians' started by KiernansFaerie, Mar 4, 2019.

1. KiernansFaerie

KiernansFaerie Active Member

I've always kind of liked Negan. I don't really know why.
    I think Judith is right. People can change.
    We've seen it happen multiple times with a variety of characters.
    I think he would be valuable in fighting the Whisperers.
    Carl was kneeling on the ground that night when Negan killed Glen and Abraham and even he saw a possibility for his redemption.
    I can certainly understand Michonne's doubts, but I think that Judith had valid points.
    All those years locked in a cage. Then going out and seeing how the world has changed. It's all bound to change your perceptions.
    Can he be trusted? Can he be an asset? Would those who fought him really be able to put that aside and work with him in some manner? I'm not sure that I can see Daryl being in his corner. He couldn't even forgive Dwight.
    Negan obviously got to Michonne with what he said. Enough so that she said she won't veto the decision of the council.
    I'm curious as to where they're going with his character.

2. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Like you I am completely baffled what will become of the character.

I just do not see the likes of Daryl, Rosita, Eugene, etc being able to work alongside him. I definitely cannot see them trusting in him to have their backs in a fight against a common enemy.

And how would Negan react to seeing Laura, DJ, Alden and any other saviors who have been living a comfy life (in comparison to his) even though they, by extension, were guilty of crimes against the communities?

• Like Like x 2
  3. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

I'm sure he might have changed enough to be a trusty compadre and that he would be very helpful if he decided to go that way, BUT there's no way I'll swallow that Darryl and the family can forgive and forget and take him with them, no matter what heroic gesture he goes for to prove his worth.

If there's a third WD series to be made, it could be Negan's story after Darryl left him for dead on the roadside.

• Like Like x 2
  4. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Nope. Can't be trusted nor should those in the groups that were brutalized by him forgive and forget. What does Judith really know? She was just an itty bitty girl as she sat on his lap the day they murdered Olivia.Does she remember her old baby sitter?

He can't help himself. He senses a way into Alexandria and he's begun to spin his silk on Michonne. Maybe he can be helpful in the fight against the Whisperers but he was top dog for too long to just want to settle in as one of the council members, IMO.

I would be thrilled if it turns out I'm wrong but he didn't get to be who he was by being a nice guy.....and remember he went back to his old place to see if he could resurrect things the minute he escaped. He could have kept going but didn't cause if you ask me, rather than start from scratch he thought it would be easier to work his way into taking over an already thriving community. He can pour on the charm when he wants to.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. KiernansFaerie

I forgot about the Saviours who joined the communities. I wonder what he thinks of them? He probably thinks they were smart to take the olive branch, rather than ending up like Jed and company. If he knew what happened to them which I'm sure he couldn't know.
    All of the Saviours that joined the communities did terrible things, yet they were accepted. I doubt that Alden was as cruel as, for example, Arat. He doesn't seem like the type. But Laura was high up in his organization.
    I too can't see Daryl and company trusting Negan to watch their backs. Why should they? I'm not sure that he could do anything to change their opinions of him.
    Most of the 'good guys' have done some ugly things as well, but Negan takes that to a whole other level.
    I watched part of TD last night and heard the actress who plays Rosita say something interesting, though. Something about respecting Judith's opinions. I didn't expect that in regards to Negan. Made me wonder.
    I'm just trying to figure out what role the writers, etc. are envisioning for him.
    You're right about his returning to Alexandria. It probably seemed like the most viable way for him to crawl back up to something. But what that something is? I don't know.
    They're building towards something with him, but I can't figure out what.
    Maybe a spin off series would be the best way to go. He's a great actor. I'd like to see his story play out.
    I doubt that Judith is going to listen to Michonne on this.
    How did she not know that they were communicating all this time?

6. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Redemption in the sense that he is free to go, given some supplies and sent on his way....sure. Redemption and allowed to live and be part of the community? No.

I see him earning a role in the war against the Whisperers, even helping defeat them....but then he will be sent packing, similar to Dwight.

Then naturally Gimple will bring him over to FTWD where he will drink magic beer or some other nonsense.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. mistertrouble189

mistertrouble189 Well-Known Member

Negan is gonna be redeemed somehow. I have no idea how and when though. I kind of don’t want him to kill that person in the comics (spoilers) as I want it to be a fresh take for the show.

I like Negan now haha. I want to see him alongside the good guys. Maybe Whisperers attack Alexandria and he helps? No clue.

Side note I bet the awkwardness between him and the jail guard is high - that guard was a Savior and has been on the show since 6x16 lol.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. KiernansFaerie

I thought he was a Saviour. I wasn't sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for a scene with Negan and a former Savior, like Laura. That's such an interesting dynamic that they haven't really had time to explore, but they should. The idea that one of Negan's most loyal, high ranking Saviors is now on the Alexandria council. They can NOT miss an opportunity to get those two in a conversation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. mistertrouble189

mistertrouble189 Well-Known Member

I would love to see that. How he genuinely reacts and gets along with Laura and D.J., and the other former Saviors living in Alexandria (there’s at least 6 background Saviors in Alexandria)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

I do not think Negan will have redemption in the sense that he will live freely in ASZ. I think he will die but his death will be written in such a way that does not show us the viewers whether or not he is truly changed to a good person.
    Somehow I suspect his telling Judith that he promised 'not to hurt anyone even when he is being hurt' will be tested.

12. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

You mean Peepee-pants-city guy?
    You mean man who uses Lucille the head smasher dude?

When Michonne said (what did she say again, wait...)
    Oh yes hehehe, she said "you really just came back because you left to check out the "world" and the "world" spit you out so that's why you dragged your pathetic ass back here" (or something to that effect)...

Personally I think Michonne's forever stuck in a mind mode that leaves her unable to reason in this regard, on the other hand I felt that part she was right on... What if Negan had found more than what he did find, what if Negan had found remnants of the Saviours and at least a somewhat former castle in some state of rebuild, what if what Negan had found wasn't completely destroyed like it was?
    What would Negan had done then, gone back to ASF all the same?

Do I believe he's honestly reformed, or is he just using Judy?
    It's hard to say, just like with Carl... He never reformed when Carl was around but he genuinely liked Carl, so much so he gave him several very personal one-on-one's (even if Carl despised Negan) and I'm not real sure he would've killed Carl other than perhaps to CONVINCE old stubborn R. Grimes there... I think it could be a lot like that with Judy, he won't hurt her and his affection for her is sincere (and vice versa) but would he really uphold and protect and do all good for the ASR'ers?
    Hard to say, not sure I'm that kind of ready to unlock his cell.

But...
    I DO think they're going to NEED Negan's version of crazy to deal with the shhh-shhh'ers.
    Therein lies a deal lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. 92Pony

92Pony Active Member

I'm the guy just sitting here waiting on SOMEONE to fulfill Rick's oft-cited promise............................

"......not today....maybe not tomorrow......"

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

"shhh-shhhh'ers" LMAO

• Like Like x 2
  15. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

I think Negan is going to be a big asset against the Whisperers. I have no idea how, but maybe he does something heroic and even dies as a result of his actions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1