Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

can walkers see?

Discussion in 'Episode 515 - Try' started by gavuk, Mar 24, 2015.

1. gavuk

gavuk Member

5 seasons in and i'm still not sure about this.

Carl and Enid hide in a tree trunk walkers wander past

Bob hides in a homemade shelter with walkers tugging at him through the wooden bars

Rev Gabriel climbs onto a boulder (about 6 foot tall) and yet walkers appear to know he's up there

so many inconsistencies.........

cause if they can't see then simply stand still and let them go past......ZA over!!!

LOL

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

they can see. There's no inconsistencies.

3. rustybag

rustybag Member

They can see, but their sense of smell seems to bail on them sometimes, especially when people are hiding behind trees..

4. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

Were they still distracted by the alarm clock noise?

5. runcornwalker

runcornwalker Member

Yes they can see but i've always assumed that their hearing was a damn sight better. A reason they missed carl & enid was because they kept quiet.

6. the walking jet

another reason is the writer's asking/hoping/pleading for the suspension of our disbelief..

7. Neuropyramidal

there's not really much suspension going on there. If someone is hiding in a tree quietly, and walkers go by 40 feet away, lost in their own world, they may very well not detect them.

8. deadkill

deadkill Member

I made a thread about dr Jenner at the CDC when he said when you die you lose everything. Then he said when you come back all you have is the stem now I'm no doctor but if you just have a stem you shouldn't even be able to walk let alone see. I don't know what you all think?

9. Neuropyramidal

The whole point is that the new activity in the brainstem is now controlling the body in a way that a normal brainstem wouldn't.

Although it would have been better to show activity going along the optic tracks and nerves.

10. Reflexx

Reflexx Member

I kind of assumed that they see... badly.

I like to believe that it's pretty blurry and maybe lacks much color. They are probably nearsighted. I think that they can sense motion pretty well though.

I think their hearing isn't all that great too. But loud noises can attract them.

Hell, I think all of their senses probably are bad.

11. deadkill

deadkill Member

I agree.

12. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

BTW, does anyone remember seeing a walker with glasses?

If a walker is near sighted and is without glasses, he would not see well. The same goes for their hearing for those needing but without hearing aids.

13. rls362

rls362 New Member

When Sophia came out of the barn she did a pretty good job of stepping over walker bodies.

14. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

Their hearing, sight, and smell can't be THAT bad when combined together. They're able to tell the difference between another walker and a living person when it's meal time, you don't see them biting tree trunks, etc. Also, didn't they explain the increased walker presence at the prison due to smell?

The Carl/Enid trunk scene for me was poorly written (and I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to TWD stuff).

15. deadkill

deadkill Member

Yes father G was attacked by one when bob got bit.

16. Ames25

Ames25 Member

You're forgetting that zombies still decompose like normal bodies do, albeit a lot slower. By the stage we are in now (18 months in), the eyes would be starting to get pretty nasty and probably don't work like they used to.

I would guess (not a doctor!) that hearing would probably last a bit longer than eyes.

Nose and therefore smelling is probably going the way of the eyes.

17. Stuartino

Stuartino Member

I've always assumed they could see opaquely, like with glaucoma. I've also assumed degradation of senses with age of rotting. But in a herd there will be some recent walkers and some older walkers and as they generally follow anything that stimulates them, a recent walker would "lead" a herd by virtue of being quicker, less decomposed. So if you're being tracked by the recently deceased, you need to be more wary. The older dead with nothing to stimulate them, say locked in churches, just wait.
    As we've seen in the past, covering yourself in ghoul crap and shuffling means you're in the gang, as long as you don't move to quickly or say anything.
    I am more accepting that its possible for Carl and Enid to hide in a tree, than I am that so few walkers could overwhelm poor buttons, a giant black horse.

18. bloodymary

bloodymary New Member

I think depends on how long they are dead. In 1. season walkers were smarter, they use tool to breake a glass, they climbed firestairs...

19. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

I can't remember where I read this, but I thought the writers of the show sort of apologized for that. They gave walkers greater abilities (physical and mental) at the beginning when they shouldn't have.

20. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Well, they seem to be good at sniffing out one person in a crowd of the undead, but one guy in a forest? not so much.