Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

can walkers see?

Discussion in 'Episode 515 - Try' started by gavuk, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

It looked like she threw the alarm clock between her and the walker, so it was still coming towards them. I didn't understand that one bit. Why not have Carl throw it *behind* the walker so it would at least turn away from you, making it less likely to follow you instead of the clock?

2. Morgotha

Regardless of what Jenner thought, we know that they can walk, and most likely see -those that have eyes, at least. I think what Jenner was getting at was really meant to tell people that walkers were acting on instinct, and not using their higher brain functions, not that everything but the brainstem was absolutely shut off.

3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Better yet, how about just not use the egg timer at all, since the walker hadn't even seen them yet, and would have just walked on by, if they would have just circled around and avoided it.

4. Busted Flipflop

Yes, they didn't need to throw it. Now they just threw away a very good resource (the egg timer, that is). There will be a day when that egg timer would have really served them. I can't help but notice these kinds of details, lol.

5. Neuropyramidal

I know, right, so many eggs are going to be over and under done now.

6. Morgotha

That really was one of the show's most stupid scenes. Here she has a ninja-like ability to escape detection and hide in the woods, and she throws an alarm at a walker that's nowhere near being an immediate threat. How many timers does she have? a whole backpack full? It really was a silly scene.

7. Busted Flipflop

One day she will regret losing that egg timer.

8. Neuropyramidal

I wonder if eggs, when they are out the woods, surrounded by walkers, ever throw people timers.

9. Screaminleeman

Morgan's wife was peeking through the peep hole giving every indication of sight.

Not sure where smell touch, hearing or taste would account for a zombie placing its eyeball to a head level peep hole in a door!

10. Pogo the Possum

Pogo the Possum Active Member

I think it has been mentioned that the sense of smell would be the strongest among the walkers. , at least to alerting at living flesh was about. Course, the smell can be camo'd by covering one's clothes with zombie guts, or being with armless and toothless pets.
    Sight, for those that still have eyes, would be pretty bad ...more like how snakes see fuzzy blurs. Decomposition would be rather swift with insects and possibly other vermin attacking there first. As with people that go blind, the raining senses are probably enhanced. There's no indication that walkers have any sense of touch or pain.

The big mystery is why the walkers would walk in the first place, unless there were some immediate stimuli present.
    Maybe their sense of intuition is better than speculated ?

11. Walker Caravan

Recent study on cockroaches showed under the same stimulus, and the same kind of cockroach, some will stay put and some will run. They're saying it shows cockroaches have a "personality". I'm thinking whatever random physical mechanic makes that deciding factor in an individual cockroach, is what also might be working to decide if a dead man walks, or lurks.

Felt like the walker that got shot at the gate was using it's eyes more than others. Thought they should have smelled the kids in the tree because of the time the rain washed off the ponchos in like... was it Vatos?

Somewhere around the barn burning era I think one of the production guys or maybe even Gimple said something about them being attracted to light and sound and that's why fire should be the perfect thing to attract them... but then we had walkers roaming around the farm, Not going straight into the burning barn.

Meh, I'm having fun.

12. Adam Poole

Adam Poole Member

I believe they can see but sight seems to take less priority for them over other senses and stimuli. When Glen, Noah, and Nicholas are stuck in the revolving door the walkers are just on the other side of the glass. If they have the ability to see then they sure have a good view of them, yet they all (on the outside) are easily lured away by the noise that Eugene is making.

The group of walkers that passes Carl and Enid hiding in the tree is clearly the same group of walkers that starts pounding on the walls of Alexandria while Rick and Pete fight. The last one they show in the group is the same one that Sasha shoots last. So maybe there is something there attracting the walkers to Alexandria. That would explain why they so easily overlooked Carl and Enid hiding in the tree.

#32 Adam Poole, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  13. gavuk

gavuk Member

14. JHebert

JHebert Member

I like to think that the walkers have "Jurassic Park" vision. By that I mean:

[​IMG]

Of course, they're also attracted to noise and such, maybe more so than movement. They seem to show no interest in prone bodies unless they move or make noise, such as walker Patrick investigating and going after the coughing guy in the cell. They seem to see well enough to avoid bumping into large objects, such as trees, cars, or buildings, but don't seem to notice things like low-hanging branches, holes in the ground, fences, etc. (This does not include season 1 walkers, where they could climb under cars, climb over fences, or pick up rocks, actually had a sense of smell, and things like that.)

Mostly, though, the Jurassic Park theory just amuses me. I do feel like they should have seen some sort of brain activity going on at the CDC, at least with the sensory neurons, but at the same time... these are zombies. I'm not going to strain myself to come up with a perfectly viable, scientifically sound explanation, because obviously aliens.

15. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

If walkers see , why are they walkers and not seers?

16. offrope

offrope Active Member

In 4b, when Sasha looks out of a building and sees Maggie lying outside between two walkers, and other walkers ignoring her, it seemed that as long as she remained still they weren't attracted to her. When she started moving, they came at her.

17. gavuk

gavuk Member

18. JMac

JMac Member

I think their senses detoriat just like bodies, so yes id agree its Jurassic park vision, more to do with shadows created as you move. Their smell tho is super keen.

19. Stuartino

Stuartino Member

Mrs Neidermeyer is going to be super pissed one day, when someone eventually brings her a pasta maker and she can't find her pasta timer. There's a whole new story arc right there.

20. ella_k

ella_k Member

What I always wondered about is how walkers with missing noses and eyes .. some with half their heads missing .. can still miraculously locate "fresh meat" :zombies_confused: