Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Can we share Netflix account?

Discussion in 'Creative Art' started by tonystar, Dec 5, 2016.

1. tonystar

tonystar New Member

Hi,

I am little worried guys. I have registered to Netflix and in between stopped watching and shared the account with my best friend. I stopped watching TV cause of some personal matters that lingered around me for some time. It's been a month. Now, I am free of all those issues and felt like watching the series again. I started accessing my Netflix account and informed my friend about it too.
    Now, I'm scared that will there be any penalty if it is found that we are sharing the account. I read that in a blog , you can see here. http://www.torontodefencelawyers.com/blog/general-category/crime-share-netflix-password/ I didn't get much of what is written on it. We would be likely caught, if we try to watch at the same time or if the network suspects any unusual activity. Is this something to be concerned? I'm not much aware of these things, so, what should I do?

2. Heriot of Fire

I don't see the problem. If you pay for an account that allows you to watch Netflix on more than one device at the same time, then it is none of their business where these devices are located and who's using them.

3. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

My Netflix allows up to 4 accounts

4. No.Pantaloons

No.Pantaloons Well-Known Member

It depends on your account. The cheapest option in the US only allows one active stream. The most expensive one lets you stream 4. The standard one most people have lets you do 2 active streams at the same time. So yes, you can share with somebody who doesn't have an account but you may have to coordinate a schedule depending on how many active streams your plan allows. Netflix very recently added an offline option where you download and can watch later on iOS and android devices. So if you have trouble putting together a schedule, one person can download an watch offline instead of have concurrent active streaming.

Netflix knows people share accounts, so that's why they have these active stream limits. As a business, they won't sue as that would cause them to lose you as a customer. Perhaps in the past, they gave out warnings before installing these active stream limits. However, as far as I know, Netflix has never taken punitive measures against account sharing.

#4 No.Pantaloons, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  5. tonystar

tonystar New Member

I am on a standard account so, I can share it with one other person, right? It wouldn't be a problem even if we are far apart?

6. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if they keep track since I log in on so many devices - my phone, tablet, Xbox, computer, and I gave my mom a Kindle fire stick with my Netflix account logged in. How could they keep track?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

I have shared accounts for two streaming services and never had a problem with it. Netflix is paid for by my housemate, and used by himself and I, his sister, and his mother. Also have Stan (an Aussie service) paid for by me and used by the two of us, as well as my sister and my parents.

So that's three different households using each service. I don't think Netflix cares, as long as you know who is using it and are aware of it being used by people other than yourself. There's someone paying their fees, and netflix is still getting streams and views either way.

8. Expat-N-America

Expat-N-America Active Member

I've accessed my account that we all share (4 people) everywhere - 2 tablets, each kid has a tablet, the living room tv, my upstairs smart tv, through the xbox. I've even used it in both canada and the us, just my libraries are different in different countries.

9. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

[MENTION=118561]tonystar[/MENTION] I read the article you posted, did you see the bullet points at the bottom?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Telepathy.

10. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

Yes you can share accounts I was doing so with my now ex boyfriend for the past 3 years and never had any issues. Except after we ended things he was still watching behind my back and I cancelled the account not just because of that, but because I couldn't afford it anymore. but here is where I made a big mistake, I forgot to change the password and so he logged in and restarted my subscription to be an asshole. So if you're ever in a falling out with someone, change your password.

Although I did have to call customer service to freeze my account because he kept restarting it and they were very polite and understanding about it so it was no trouble.

11. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Oh wow, what a shit head. I think they even have a free trial don't they? I can't remember, i've had mine for so long! I was even grandfathered in to the $7.99/month standard plan and they recently made me go to 9.99.

Does anyone have the premium plan? Just wondering what "Ultra HD" looks like lol.

12. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Certain smart TV's come with a free month trial. My TV I bought a couple years ago came with it, but then I bought my dad a smart TV, and it didn't, for some reason. I think you're allowed to share your account with up to 4 other people.

13. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Isn't it linked to your email address that you log in with, or is it different with smart TVs?

14. Neuropyramidal

Its connected to my email, which is how I receive updates about my account, but I don't use my email to log in. I can't remember what I gave my parents when I shared my account with them, but I don't think they used my email address. I think it was just a code or something.

15. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Oh gotcha!

Isn't it crazy that Netflix was once exclusively a DVD service? Now i almost forget they even offer actual DVDs.

16. Neuropyramidal

I have a friend who I mentioned Netflix too about a month ago.....and he said "now.....Netflix....is that where you receive movies in the mail?". He had no idea what else Netflix was besides DVD's that came in the mail. I was like what are you living in, 2010? And this is a guy who is usually fairly up to date on things.

17. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

haha, where has he been? I remember jumping on board with their streaming service back in 2007 or 2008 when it had first come out - i had won a Nintendo Wii from work, and it was compatible with the Wii. The selection was not so great back then, but i did always find some interesting indy movies that i had never heard of before.

I think maybe newer releases are available through their DVD service and i've come close to using it, but i'm really bad at returning movies - I am the proud owner of about 5 Redbox DVDs from years ago! So i will stick to paying for it on Amazon or On Demand. ;-P

18. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Actually you're right, it was closer to 2010 i think - i won the Wii in 2008 but it was later that they started streaming :) Doesn't matter I guess but i have to correct myself lol.

19. Neuropyramidal

I remember the really good old days, even before the big box franchise movie stories, when you had to make sure you were in the right section of the store [VHS vs. Betamax], and the stores were privately owned little places where the owner sat behind the counter and smoked lol. It would be like 2 fairly small rooms, each maybe the size of a living room. And movies were expensive. The idea of going and renting 5 or 6 at a time was excessive. My mom would take me, and I got to choose one, maybe two if I was lucky, movies. And it was a big deal.

20. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

haha i didn't get to experience any of those places, but i do remember going to video stores like Blockbuster when there were still VHS tapes. They would have the empty box on the shelf and the clerk would have to give you the real one. Then when they started rolling out DVDs they would have both on the shelf until eventually the VHS tapes went bye bye.