Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Can't take the CGI guns anymore

Discussion in 'Episode 315 - This Sorrowful Life' started by wolffe, Mar 26, 2013.

1. wolffe

wolffe Member

One of the things that has consistently annoyed me every episode (this one included) is the lack of realism when it comes to guns.

Anyone who's shot guns before will notice something "off" when paying close attention to most weapons fired on this show.

The most likely situation is that most of the "full auto" guns fired are airsoft guns. Most if not all guns fired on the show clearly have CGI muzzle flashes.

There has only been a few times where I thought blank ammunition was being used, specifically in the Woodbury Maggie/Glenn extraction episode when Daryl was using the AK which would explain the unusually high amount of scenes with him shooting it.

The actors/actresses usually do a good job at simulating recoil, but there are many scenes I cannot take seriously because you can tell nothing is really being fired.
    Sometimes when henchmen are running & gunning is just looks so low budget.

Why do they do it this way? For the amount of shots fired per episode it couldn't be that expensive for blank ammunition. I wonder if it's because special permits or other expensive things need to be in place before you can shoot blank ammo while filming or something.

Nevertheless, it reduces the "coolness" of a lot of scenes to see zero recoil yet someone is shooting fully automatic.

2. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Active Member

I agree with the complaint but after the number of gun accidents in Hollywood, like being shot by a blank round(Brandon Lee)...why risk it. If they can make it look "decent" via CGI then why not ensure the safety of the cast. I mean it's a TV show not a high production action flick.

3. ripbongs420

ripbongs420 Member

Some guns do have incredibly low recoil. Have you ever shot an AR? They have a very small amount of recoil, very easy to handle. I own an AKM and it has much more recoil then an AR, though still not very bad at all. Now if someone shot a 10 gauge or a short barreled .357 without noticeable recoil then it would be much more obvious. I've shot a lot of guns and the amount of recoil between them vary a lot.

4. Bhante

Bhante Member

Another issue may be fire danger, the show is filmed on location in Georgia and it is hot and there is a drought - a small ember from a blank could start a fire in the dry grass they are always laying around in. Other than fire I would have to say it is a matter of speed and dollars, if they can do post-production fast and cheap it is a winning ticket.

5. Austannibal

Austannibal Member

Well considering I know nothing about guns, it hasn't really bothered me! :zombies_lol:

6. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

I grew up with guns, own guns, and this doesn't bother me at all. I watch the show for fun. Not realism. But that's just me.

7. LvlNinety9

LvlNinety9 New Member

This is what some people are knit picking about? Really? It's a show. Who cares if it is perfect. If you are paying that much attention to the muzzle flash then what are you doing for the rest of the show? Are you honestly watching the episodes? Or are you just looking for things to point out.

8. Beaugard Stevens

I have never noticed it so I guess I am the layman

9. Casca910

Casca910 Active Member

I've noticed, but I also realize that certain realities need to be met.

10. AVC

AVC Member

Its getting to be the norm. Any actor can fire an airsoft or prop gun.

Weapons handling is a dangerous thing. These guys are all civilians. Even with blank ammo they are very dangerous. Better they have prop guns IMO.

I was 10 years in the military and we used to do rifle drills ad nauseum. Soldiers still managed to screw up.

Big focus on health and safety too. Everone would technically need eye and ear protection.

11. shanewalking

shanewalking Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about guns neither, but it has bothered me sometimes, yes, it's just too noticeable, there's nothing that bugs me more that noticeable CGI! lol

12. shredorama

shredorama Member

I'm somewhat of a gun nut, and the only time it's really bothered me were the scenes of slow-mo shotgun blasts from Shane or Hershel. Ripbongs420 hit the nail on the head about certain guns they've shot having little to no recoil.

13. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

I can't say I've noticed this, but I'll be paying attention now.

Honestly though, I think this is just one of those things where we should just 'let it slide.' They must have a reason for resorting to CGI (which must make the actors job quite a bit harder, to fake gun recoil), weather it's because it's cheaper or, as someone else suggested, due to fire hazard. TV and film aren't made to be perfect or look 100% realistic.

14. PEN

PEN New Member

Isn't complaining about realism of the guns when watching a series about a zombie apocalypse slightly oxymoronic? ;-)

15. shredorama

shredorama Member

^ most of the details we complain about are, but what the hey?

16. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

Bet these guys & gals wish they had had CGI after squeezing the trigger...

[video=youtube;FaV629VZzzA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaV629VZzzA[/video]

17. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

LOL! I don't know anything about guns so I wouldn't know. But I recall a message board a while back that made me laugh until I nearly cried --- when Rick found the walker who had eaten Lori, someone posted (maybe not in this forum) that it was so unrealistic because everybody KNOWS walkers cannot eat a whole human being, bones and all.

Okay, okay 0 so I nit pick too -- like how did Merle find a car where the battery wasn't dead after all this time? Or as somebody else pointed out, where was the music coming from - was it a CD? How come Judith never needs more diapers than the couple of diapers that Maggie picked up at the day care center? How long can Team Prison -- Rick in particular -- wear the same clothes before they rot off their bodies? How come nobody ever catches a cold? And where does nearly infinite gasoline that doesn't age come from? How did Hershel not die of a massive infection and septicemia after having his leg lopped off with a filthy ax? Or, for that matter, how did Hershel never suffer any pain at all in his stump? Etc. Still love the show.

18. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

A lot of these guns really don't have that much recoil so that part is a non issue to me. The cgi isn't too bad. For me they pulled a trigger, there was a light and a noise that sounded more than good enough. They don't really need more than that. It's plenty alright how it is.

19. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

If it helps Hershel did feel phantom pain.:zombies_lol:
    as for the others except maybe gas i just write it off as possible. Clothes aren't going to rot in less than a year and they scavenge more. cold? Andrea. It's not guaranteed for Hershel to have an infection. (even if likely) lol

20. The_Not_So_Dead

LOL!

It's a show, but I like it when they make it feel like it could really happen. Writers could keep obvious things like you said (how can a car start after not being used for a couple of months) at a minimum. It would feel like an action flick otherwise, and well, I've watched to many action movies for them to actually hold my interest. Usually after 40 minutes I'm like, "is it finished yet? Noooooo, it's not even halfway thru!!!!!"

But btw it's fun to nit pick! :Grin: