Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Can't take the CGI guns anymore

Discussion in 'Episode 315 - This Sorrowful Life' started by wolffe, Mar 26, 2013.

1. apiratesaysarrr

Glad I don't know shit about guns so this doesn't bother me. I never even though about it. And I still won't because I have no idea what you're talking about.

2. sam12six

sam12six Member

The guns don't bother me. I grew up on TV and movies so I've probably seen hundreds of instances where someone pulled the trigger on a .38 and it made the sound of a 12 gauge. If I think of it at all, I just think, "It sucks, but that's the way the industry operates."

The illogical things like cars that start after a year sitting in a driveway bother me much more. Suspending belief in a series like this should be limited to a single fact - dead people rise and try to eat living people. Everything else in the world should operate as realistically as possible.

3. MassiveDynamic

MassiveDynamic La Jiggy Jar Jar Doo

yeah i agree.. i just noticed the CGI muzzle flash in this episode.. it was pretty obvious. i think using blanks would be a lot better choice.. dunno why they prefer to use cgi. it just doesnt look/sound as real.

4. mtamborra

mtamborra Member

i never noticed as I have not fired many guns....the only time it ever looked fake was when Hershell had unlimited ammo in season 2 finale

5. Dennis00Castro

I believe Herschel's axe was from his medical bag and was designed to be used for what Rick used it for. I don't think it was just some dirty old axe.

6. rrosario35

rrosario35 Member

It hasnt bothered me much if at all... and usually these things bother me because I used to do CGI as a hobby...

BUT!!! Having said that!!! When the Governor shot Merle I replayed it twenty times or so wondering why it bothered me so much, lol

7. Silky

Silky Member

I'm not that experienced with guns so I don't notice the details too much.

8. Ewan

Ewan Member

I guess you only really notice it when you start looking for it. The muzzle flashes are generally only a couple of frames long at the most, and it doesn't bother me that much. In fact, they don't look that bad.

[​IMG]

9. Outdoorsguy

Outdoorsguy Member

I just started my jeep today thats been sitting for a year. it can happen.

10. WarriorPrincess

WarriorPrincess Well-Known Member

My hubby has started cars that have sat around for a few years.

11. dphoenix

dphoenix Member

I work in the film industry. Firing live rounds on set is really expensive, and a huge pain in the ass.

#1 It provokes safety hazards, which requires special attention, which causes scheduling conflicts, which affects the budget.

#2 It costs a lot of money (especially if you're not firing blanks, and ESPECIALLY if you're firing big guns like the M2 .50 cal in the Season 3 finale). The producers don't get a blank check every season. Before film, I was in the U.S. Army, and whenever we prepped for deployment, we could barely afford to go to the shooting range more often than every six months. If the Army can barely afford it, what makes you think AMC can afford to pump live rounds, or even blank rounds, on set for every single shoot? Sure, it would be more "genuine", but it's a costly investment for such a minor upset.

If you want to get rid of the CGI in the show, be prepared for a really boring show -- I'm talking 2 or 3 zombie kills an episode, at most. Trust me, the CGI is the only reason why any of this is possible. There is a reason why the creators of the show choose to substitute special effects with visual effects, and it's because catering to the luxury of firing live rounds is overpowered by the convenience of hiring Andy the animator to make an Autodesk rig.

#31 dphoenix, May 20, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013
  12. Outdoorsguy

Outdoorsguy Member

at $3.25 to $4.50 for .50 caliber ball. yes it would get expensive fast.

13. Zombie Dubs

Zombie Dubs Member

There's a video AMC put on youtube. I think they said they paid 7 dollars a round for blanks in the 50 cal.

14. James Smythe

James Smythe New Member

Totally agree. This season is especially bad. No one ever has to reload, there are semi automatic rifles being fired at full auto, large rifles have zero recoil, one magazine magically holds 100 rounds, people aren't aiming or holding them properly.
    All of this would be okay. All of it... If they would just add one thing...bullet holes. For God's sake, bullets don't bounce off cars and bricks. Put some CGI holes in there or something! The realism and tension of a gunfight is just non-existent.