Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Carl loses an eye?

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Comic Series' started by MassiveDynamic, Feb 13, 2014.

Tags:
  1. MassiveDynamic

MassiveDynamic La Jiggy Jar Jar Doo

so i was google image browsing some walking dead comic pics and i saw a couple of photos of Carl with a missing eye? He was using his hair to cover it in one -- How did this happen? That would be pretty interesting to see on the show.

2. Alec96

Alec96 Well-Known Member

He gets shot from behind as him and Rick are running (don't want to say more unless you want spoilers).

3. MassiveDynamic

ah okay.. so in the comics it takes place at a point that the show has not reached yet and we may actually see it in the show?

4. Alec96

Alec96 Well-Known Member

We'll defiantly see the new location they get to in the comics in the show and that scene, I'm just not sure if they'll actually make Carl get shot like that. As of now, Rick still has both hands, so they may not make Carl lose an eye.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MassiveDynamic

somehow posted twice.. ignore. :p

#5 MassiveDynamic, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  6. Taeyeon'sBF

Taeyeon'sBF Well-Known Member

I want that to happen in the show. Maybe Chris (the lead Hunter) shoots Carl in the eye and Rick flips out.

7. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

A massive herd attacks the massive town-like home they're staying at. The group try to survive and the leader at the time [forgot his name] fires bullets recklessly at the walkers. A few people die from walkers and then when everything seems to have calmed down. You turn to the next page and it's shown that Carl was shot by a stray bullet. Easily one of the biggest "WTF" moments in the series history.

Obviously, you don't keep walking from that, he loses consciousness and is picked up by Rick and is quickly taken to the surgeon. He's saved but goes into a coma. He eventually does wake up after like 10 issues.

As for the show comment. It will probably happen in some capacity. It's way too big of a moment for his character to skip in my opinion. It might not be as gory but something will happen. At the least he won't lose his eye but he's going to be critically injured during this arc.

8. lulu_nueve

lulu_nueve Member

I keep saying this and some people just don't want to see it (because it would bring so much pain to the character). But this is big for him, it's very iconic in the comics, it's part of his persona. Why would a writer pass up the opportunity? It has to look more realistic in the show of course, but that incident is part of who he is now, it has to happen in some form.

9. The1WhoKnocks

The1WhoKnocks Active Member

It's one of the dumbest and over-the-top story lines of the entire comic series. Much like Rick's right hand debacle, It will NOT happen on the show.

10. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Unlike Rick losing his hand, I think this is actually very doable. Not only would CGI cost besides a few scenes be non-existent because he'll be wearing the bandage most of the time but it also won't limit the character as much as losing a hand would. That's Kirkman's main reasoning on why he regrets having Rick lose his hand, it limits Rick too much. Carl's limitation is his blind-spot but he'd still be able to do all the two handed things that Rick can't do.

As already said it would be infinitely cheaper but also much easier to cover up. Unless Rick had something like Merle had then they would need to apply CGI and Green Screen to every scene that Rick is in for the hand. Despite Lincoln actually wanting it to be done the executives have basically implied tons of times that Rick losing his hand won't happen on the show. Whereas most of the time they've left it open regarding Carl and the eye.

If it happens I don't don't think it'd look as 'ridiculous' as in the Comic. That first panel, it looks really bad. It was basically the angles making it look worse then it was but still, I think they'd get it right from the start and make it believable that he could survive a wound like this. People in real life have survived worse.

Also for story-reasons. His character changes quite a bit after this is done, new dynamics between him and Michonne/Rick are born and we see some interesting stuff. When Rick lost his hand it somewhat just happened and the plot touched on it now and again but there wasn't much new character stuff from it.

11. lulu_nueve

lulu_nueve Member

They'll find a way to make it believable and realistic. He won't get half his face blown and he won't lose the eye!, the bullet can just touch a side of his face leaving only a small scar that he can cover with his own hair. I don't see how that'd be so impossible to pull of? It won't be like the comic because comic/tv are two different mediums. It will be a nod to what happened to his character in the comics (while providing the development that he got there) without being too unrealistic. I don’t see the problem, really.

12. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

The way it happened in the comic would not translate to TV well, but I'm pretty sure it'll happen in some capacity. He may not even lose his eye, but just get injured in some way. It's too important for Carl's story to entirely skip… It changes him quite a bit.

13. MassiveDynamic

okay so after reading the replies -- When Carl was shot by Otis in the show -- did that happen in the comics also? Carl seems to be pretty damn lucky lol. Gets shot twice and lives. Im just wondering if him getting shot by Otis -- if that didnt happen in the comics that was their replacement for when he gets shot in the eye?

14. 12Gauge

12Gauge Active Member

Don't think that happened in the comics.

15. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

Yeah, it definitely happens in the comic. And just like the show, that is how they discover Hershel and the Greene family farm. They just don't make as big a deal of it in the comic, Carl recovers rather quickly.
    [​IMG]
    @12Gauge

#15 jwcoombs, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  16. jwcoombs

Yeah, there's no way they can entirely skip it. It so important to his character, a sort of right of passage. Also, it's extremely important and somewhat defining in his relationship with Negan. I'm hoping we see that play out a little further in the last 5 issues of All Out War.

17. MassiveDynamic

awesome -- thanks for the replies guys

18. 12Gauge

12Gauge Active Member

I do, stand corrected and humbled.
    Apologies [MENTION=5801]SheriffRick[/MENTION], I don't want to be known as someone who gives off wrong info.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jwcoombs

No worries! ^Your modesty restores my faith in the human race!

P.S. I hope you didn't think I was being a prick, or condescending or anything of the sort.

20. 12Gauge

12Gauge Active Member

Heck no. I'm not above being corrected! Hell, I've been married a while. :Grin: