Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Carl Will Not Lose An Eye-Chandler comments #54

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Spoilers' started by Jpeace, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Jpeace

Jpeace New Member

I am posting this in the spoiler section since it has a lot to with Carl from the comics.

I know what a huge part Carls eye plays in the comics even up to the last couple issues. I just don't see them following the same story on the show though.

One its easy to draw Carl that way but if they do the same thing on the show that means he has to be made up like that for the rest of the show from then on.
    Two I don't see them doing the eye patch thing...too much like the Gov.
    Three I don't see him wearing his sunglasses for the rest of the show either.
    Four he is not a bad looking kid and teenagers that watch the show are a demographic that Im sure TWD is aware of.

Just some thoughts, although I would really love to see it play out on screen I just don't think they can do him like that. Maybe someone else takes his place. They also did not follow the comic for Rick and his had either. They gave it to Merl so maybe we have already seen the Gov take Carls eye story.

• Like Like x 1
  2. hansonhowell

hansonhowell Member

AMC has never cared about the appearances of its cast. Breaking Bad's two main characters are a 49-year-old bald man (Walter White) and a short pothead (Jesse). TWD killed off good-looking characters all the time (Amy Andrea's sister, Andrea, Zach Beth's bf, Beth, ...). Blonds (sexually desirable as portrayed by white media) are killed off like flies on this show.

Few of the main cast are traditional boy-band type good-looking. Daryl is a red-neck; Carol is super-old, Tyreese is fat; so are Eugene and Abe; even Rick looked homeless during season 4 and half of S5. None of them would be prospective One Direction members LOL.

3. Jpeace

Jpeace New Member

I never said the cast need to look like one direction members at all. Although it does seem like most of the recently added characters are pretty easy on the eyes. Yes they have killed off good looking characters but not make them look disgusting for the duration of the show like the will have to do to pull of the Carl's eye from the comic.

You are taking the last and least important part of why I think it will either not be done or go to someone else that will get killed off by next season. The main reason is I don't think they want Carl to look like this for 5, 10 or however many seasons more.

[video]http://www.thewalkingdead.com/the-walking-dead-137-discussion/[/video]

4. ImDrunk

ImDrunk Member

5. Jpeace

Jpeace New Member

As serious as Rick still having both hands :zombies_lol:

6. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

wrong.

bandages. Hair eyepatch. The makeup is only necessary for the occasional rare scene with his eye exposed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    good. They won't.
    this is the only thing I hope you're right about. Those glasses are ****ing awful.
    so... You think they're worried about his teen fangirls quitting the show if he looses the eye? Doubt it. And, if done properly, the hair eyepatch can be the only time emo hair has ever been cool.

don't worry. It will.
    wrong. If you mean it's too violent, they've done worse things on the show. Some of them to him.
    then again, maybe they don't.
    The first half of this was probably your most valid point. But no. The hand was a massive and very physically limiting injury for Rick. There are some shortcuts you can take in comics that you can't take on TV. For example, it was perfectly believable for Rick to be up on that truck in AOW. But on TV that would be a massive, clumsy struggle to clamber up on that truck. On the other hand, while Carl's eye provides him with an obstacle to overcome and some self-confidence issues, it doesn't really limit his physical capabilities. Also, I'd have to imagine it's cheaper to wrap a kids head in ace bandages and/or apply a little makeup than it is to digitally cut somebody's arm off every time they're on screen.

7. Jpeace

Jpeace New Member

Wow thank you for such a well executed and thought out argument to a thought of mine. I am very thankful that you went through the trouble to take each point and set me straight.

I will be happy either way. His eye her eye no eye. Just a hunch that's all that no one wants to watch Carl for the rest of the TWD with bandages, hair, and sunglasses. Except for the " has to follow the comic book fans " that need to see it on screen the way they read it. I love the comics but I also like that I get slightly different version on the show. I don't want to always know what is coming. The iconic moments sure and even though the eye is one of those....well we will see. I don't need to be right and apparently Im not lol.

On a different note I guess that means Pete lives. Gotta have a surgeon fix him up. If and when it happens its more than Carol can handle.

#7 Jpeace, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  8. Kilroy was here

Kilroy was here Well-Known Member

People in earlier times survived horrific injuries with what we would consider very primitive care at best.

9. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I don't see Carl losing an eye either. If someone does, it won't be him. That's MY gut feeling.

10. Kilroy was here

Kilroy was here Well-Known Member

Maybe they shoot off his nose instead?

11. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

And then he gets a new nose that resembles a beak. You go, mother fworder!

12. Cor

Cor Member

I don't see it happening either. I'd like too, and have even said how I'd like the finale to end, but with no other doctor than Pete in Alexandria, I don't know, just don't see it happening.

However, I do see something happening to Carl. There needs to be some event that launches him into the complete badass-ness he should become. However, I am wondering if that's the loss of say, Judith, that pushes him towards it.

If it should happen, here is how it should happen;

Everything is going down, Zombies everywhere, etc. Camera is on Rick

[BLAM!]

Carl: "Dad...."

[Camera Pans to Carl, and you can see the wound]

[Quick Shot of Rick]

[Carl falls to the ground as the screen fades to black. Silent Credits.]

13. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

I think that would be the only other thing to help carl develope as a character if he isn't gonna lose an eye is loosing Judith but I don't think the changes he goes through from losing his baby sister would be any similar to losing an eye yanno
    damn I really hope carl gets shot.... again
    I'll be highly disappointed if he doesn't. The changes this bring to him are still being played out in the comics ughhh um getting antsy now

14. utgard14

utgard14 Member

There are lots of ways to develop characters without having them suffer tragic losses. Not that the kid hasn't had enough of that. Anyway, as far as this issue goes, of course he'll lose the eye. Gimple is following the comics closer than they ever have before and I can't fathom him skipping over such a big moment. I doubt it will be as over-the-top as the comics, however. He won't lose half his face or anything. That's just ridiculous. He'll lose the eye I'm sure.

15. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

Carol does not look old, Abraham is not fat and Daryl doesn't look like redneck. Melissa McBride is gorgeous, Michael Cuditz is muscular as hell and Norman kinda looks like he would own a really weird, retro art gallery.

16. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

well, they are soon to be without a doctor, most likely, so...

17. AllieSinn

AllieSinn Member

I thought Carl was going to lose something in that tree last Sunday night.

18. Laurieellen

Laurieellen Well-Known Member

I had the same thought.

19. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

Nah... he was closer to loosing it during the season four finale (Yeah, gross, I know). Carl likes em older with a bit of extra skin, if you know what I mean. :zombies_lol:

20. Contaminated

Contaminated Member

I hope he doesn't lose the eye. I also hope they veer off the comics as well. I want the TV show to be different. While I like spoilers to some degree I don't want to be able to predict everything that happens either.

Take Negan for instance... A lot of comments about him coming to TV and debating who could play him best, how he should look like the comic version and everyone is assuming he'll be the same exact character. But, many of the comic characters versus TV have been written differently or killed off early even.

I am hoping they make him slightly different... just enough so that I don't know him so well and can predict everything he will do.
    As fun as it is to see the comic come to life, I would still prefer they twist and turn.