Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Carol breaking up with Ezekiel

Discussion in 'Episode 916 - The Storm' started by Lindigo, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Hmm. It made a little more sense after watching Talking Dead. Angela Kang said Carol's time at the Kingdom was another chapter in Carol's life, and it comes to a natural close. She had the fairytale romance, but in real life relationships do sometimes fail after a child's death.

Although that's true, in this case neither of them can be holding the other responsible in any way, so I don't know why Henry's death would break them up. And Henry had already grown up enough to leave the nest, so it wasn't as if they had been "staying together for the child."

It seems out of the blue to me. Carol is naturally loyal. The king has always cherished her. Carol does't desert anyone. I just don't get it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Lindigo

Also, I don't see why Daryl's friendship is suddenly an issue. It's an interesting contrast with the comfort level within the Rosita quadrangle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I took it as Carol was wanting this fantastic life. A home where she wasn't abused, a child she could raise with her husband to be strong, everything was a fantasy version of her previous life.

When Henry died then the home rotted, her fantasy was over and she wanted to go back to being alone.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Lindigo

It does feel that way. It was always Ezekiel who was most invested in their relationship, too.

After a horrifying flood or hurricane where people lose virtually everything--their home, all of their possessions, even some of their family--some people soldier on with "At least we have each other."

It could have gone either way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

I was surprised as well, but in hindsight Carol has typically separated herself on multiple occasions during the series.

She may not want to leave Ezekiel, but she feels she needs to be alone.

She's losing herself and I think she can't be there for the King if she can't be there for herself.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Carol's story is always so heartbreaking. :(

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Maybe now she will cut off that mop of frizzy hair o_O
    [​IMG]

And the King too.....time for a change dude, time for a change.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. 92Pony

92Pony Active Member

Hopefully she quickly snaps out of it, cuts her hair, and goes all nuclear annihilation on the Whisperers!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. mistertrouble189

mistertrouble189 Well-Known Member

I’m just happy Carol is back in Alexandria! I missed her there!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Daryl Rocks

Daryl Rocks Well-Known Member

Please let this happen! The Lori Strode look is bad!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. HungryZombie

HungryZombie Active Member

I would have started this topic myself if it wasn't already done . I didn't understand Carol and Ekekiel splitting up either. I thought I must have missed something.

• Like Like x 2
  12. KiernansFaerie

KiernansFaerie Active Member

Angela Kang's explanation about Carol did help me in understanding the choice to leave.
    I think she needs be with her family. Staying with Ezekiel and the Kingdom people and still being thought of as the Queen would just be a constant reminder of the fairy tale life that ended for her with Henry's death.
    My husband and I have had multiple children die. We beat the statistics and stayed together. We actually became closer because we're all each other has left. Some people just can't handle the constant reminders of what is now gone.
    We all deal with grief differently and Carol has a habit of distancing herself when grieving.
    I think that she will manage better with her family at Alexandria. I also think that she and Lydia will eventually help each other as well.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

We don't always agree, Pep, but I agree with you there. :(

I think Carol married Ezekiel so Henry could have a family. when Henry was killed, there was nothing to keep them together. Carol knew it, Ezekiel couldn't accept it.

14. Lindigo

I think she married him because Ezekiel loved her so deeply and he finally won her over.

• Like Like x 3
  15. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Agreed.

16. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Re-watching some scenes, I'm thinking Carol's issues are more with Zeke's inability to move on. He internalizes the loss of Henry and, as Carol says, he wants to blame her for his death but because he can't, he focuses in on Daryl.

Carol starts to really confide in Daryl in the Sanctuary and it's clear she's upset and dealing with the loss of Henry, but it's really Zeke who is having the much harder time. He's not the jovial King he was, now he's an emotional wreck and while he's not abusing Carol or outwardly blaming her. His distance from her sends that message to her.

Carol wants to do what she knows how to do, move on. She lost so much over the years, she's learned how to move on. They all have, really. They know their world sucks, so they take the losses and move forward, taking in the little moments as they can. That's why when they arrive at Alexandria they all seem to sort of unload their unhappiness and enjoy the moment.

• Like Like x 3
  17. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I know. I was terribly disappointed. Carol is damaged emotionally and I was hoping she would get some comfort from the deep love Zeke has for her much like Rick and Michonne were there for each other after Carl's death. Maybe they'll reunite in time when she gets her feelings sorted.

• Like Like x 3
  18. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

Carol made the comment about losing herself again. That's what happened when she went really dark and didn't want to kill any more, yet would to protect her family. I think she is on the verge of going full Carol on the whisperers, but is fighting not to go down that path. She didn't look meek when she said that those were Alpha's boundaries, not ones they agreed to. She had to be alone before to get past things and I think she needs time now to get past things and not become the person she doesn't want to be again. But I think we all want her to be that Carol for a while.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

I agree with you all who say this breakup came out of the blue. Last thing we saw, Carol was happy with Ezekiel. Henry was treated by them both as a young man, living and learning a trade in another community, with their blessing. Fledged the nest. Mum and dad still happy.
    Carol and Ezekiel have been together for over 6 years. Could be 8? All this talk about Carol living in a fairy tale... really? Carol, the most realistic and level headed person in the apocalypse would go along with a *fairy tale* for 8 years and then suddenly choose to quit it, because a mad person killed someone dear to her, - again? Carol was shown to deeply care for Ezekiel, even if she never stopped rolling her eyes at all the royal bullshit. If this relationship was going to end, I think we should have seen signs of it crumbling, but there weren't any. Losing a child as a reason for breakup, in this scenario, doesn't make sense to me. They've lived through so many losses, both of them. This feels like an excuse for breaking them up.

To be honest, I was just wondering, if they decided to shut down the Kingdom, get Carol reunite with the last remaining members of Team Family at Alexandria, and start writing Ezekiel like an asshole, they might as well have put his head on a pike instead of Henry's.

And Ezekiel jealous of Carol's close friendship with Daryl... just really odd, after all these years. What would have been more believable is him asking Daryl for advice how to reach Carol in her grief. At least Daryl was in character handling the situation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. HungryZombie

HungryZombie Active Member

I've been thinking the same thing. For how they left the relationship between Carol and Ezekiel, they might as well have put Ezekiels head on the pike like how it was in the comic. It would have had a much better dramatic effect imo than this breakup which leaves things in an awkward position.