Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Carol has never looked BETTER!

Discussion in 'Episode 401 - 30 Days Without an Accident' started by RicksDick, Oct 16, 2013.

1. RicksDick

RicksDick Member

To turn around the negativity from the last forum post I decided to post this topic and thoughts.

The character Carol has been upgraded this season compared to the last few. She looks like she has come into her own and they are dressing and styling her to be the more independent, strong and mature women.

though I still don't agree that she is right for Daryl and I also see her biting the bullet this season, she has her place for now, teaching kids how to knife fight.

Maybe her and Michonne can start a relationship? just thoughts.

#1 RicksDick, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  2. Kagerous

Kagerous Member

Yeah I think her whole new confident attitude adds to it. Her TV character is the polar opposite of the comic version

3. Karl Katze

Karl Katze Member

I like your post and agree with you for the most part except for the bits about her and Daryl (but I'm not going to go into that, haha) and where you said that "she has her place for now, teaching kids how to knife fight." To me, that's really marginalizing her place in the group. I think there's far more to her role (and much more to come) than just teaching the kids how to use knives.

4. Benrai2k

Benrai2k Active Member

I agree, Carol is my favourite. I liked Andrea a lot too, so I hope with her gone Carol will be around for quite some time and develop a lot. I want her to really get involved with some memorable scenes.

5. ThunderClap!

ThunderClap! Member

Carol has always looked beautiful, but her newfound confidence really does shine her in this new, even more attractive light.
    Axel would find that interesting.

6. bassetluv

bassetluv Active Member

Carol is one of my favourite characters too. I love the personality they have written for her; determined, smart, and a survivalist after her years of abuse with Ed - and the huge tragedy of losing her daughter - she has become a woman of immense strength and endurance. When it was suggested that she had succumbed to the walkers in the "Killer Within" episode, I was really hoping that they weren't writing her out of the show. Her character is a great representation of someone who overcame huge adversities and grew from them, and Melissa McBride plays her wonderfully. I think that Carol is actually a perfect match for Daryl, as both seem 'cut from the same cloth' in terms of strength and experience. Whether they remain close friends or a more intimate relationship eventually develops remains to be seen, but I think the writers, so far, have done very well with them both.

7. whitestar1

whitestar1 Member

The show is now showing how much she has developed and how much confidence she has now.

And Carol has always been beautiful its just shallow idiots who think beauty is a young girl with long hair and big boobs.

The way the writers have chosen to write Daryl and carol it makes complete sense for them to be in a relationship. and from the way its going I would say that Caryl are already a couple are will be by the end of the season.

I think carol is safe this season due to the fact that they killed both Lori and Andrea last reason.
    Plus Kirkman made comment that they are filling the void of lori and andrea through Carol.

8. AtlantaOverrun

AtlantaOverrun Well-Known Member

Always saw her and Beth as characters who were 'just there'... No they finally got some development.

9. steenkash

steenkash Member

The best thing about Carol, is going to be her teaching the kids to fight. That scene absolutely highlighted her character, he was extremely naive at first due to being treated unfairly by her husband, but now she is growing as a strong woman, who is a good role model for kids.

10. Benrai2k

Benrai2k Active Member

Where is that quote? I'd like to read it.

11. Savior

Savior Well-Known Member

With Andrea, Carol has the best character development in the show over the past 3 years and she is getting better and stronger. There was nothing wrong with her looks, there never was. Some people just couldn't get over some things.

12. Brooklynn

Brooklynn Member

I would like to know where that quote is as well. To me it makes no sense since they have wonderful female characters like Maggie and Michonne on the show, so I don't see a void. I don't recall ever reading a quote like that, but maybe I missed it.

13. Andy

Andy Member

Carol has come a long way since she was the mousy and abused wife of Ed. She actually started coming into her own last season when she advised Andrea to give the Governor the best night of his life in bed, and to then wait until he was asleep and then kill him off. I remember after she said that, I was like, "Go Carol!"

And I should also add, not only is Melissa McBride beautiful, she seems like a very sweet person in every interview I've seen of her.

14. Caryler

Caryler New Member

Carol is my favourite character on the show. She has to be, in my opinion, one of the most highly developed characters on The Walking Dead, and she has definitely changed for the better throughout the seasons. The way she has developed from submissive and mouse-like after her abuse from Ed, into a confident, strong, bad ass woman is amazing.

But I don't think her appearance has anything to do with it. Yes, she has more freedom to wear what she wants since Ed is no loner controlling her (she mentioned he never let her wore anything pretty), but there wasn't anything wrong with what she looked like before. Melissa McBride is a beautiful person and has been the whole time, despite what I've heard what some people about her being 'too old' or 'ugly'. I think those people need to seriously rethink what their definition of what beauty really is.

15. Benrai2k

Benrai2k Active Member

The way I view them to mean "Void" would probably be as in "a female cast member from the start that grew strong and lasted longer in to the shows life", since we lost Lori and Andrea (the only other 2 women we saw from the very start that began the journey). Hard to believe Carol was almost killed off S3...so we'd have lost Lori, Carol and Andrea...what the!?

16. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

Enough to make me love you right there.

17. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

Andrea's death was not in the original scripts. Not sure whether Laure herself wanted to leave after all the shit she kept copping from fans or if a certain someone decided to be a dick and kill off both leading Ladies in the same season.

That same someone originally wanted Carol to die T-Dog's death but changed it because they "wanted to see IronE Charge two Walkers". Then her death was changed to be Axel's after AMC saying the original planned death there was wrong as it was Carl Grimes himself and the Story is about him and Rick and nobody else.

18. Benrai2k

Benrai2k Active Member

I doubt very much Laurie wanted to leave, she is still visibly sad from tweets to Gimple (I think a recent one in the Andrea thread somewhere) saying she misses them all everyday.

Sad thing is, it seems Andrea dying was needed (and the internal uproar it created) for "that certain someone" to leave to path the way for Gimple to take over. Sarah Wayne Callies mentions there was even talk of Lori out there alone "near winter, giving birth alone while fighting off walkers" and she thought it sounded over the top. lol. She and Andrew weren't too fond of talking walker Lori either.

Lew Temple said he spoke to Mazarra and they discussed how they could develop Axel and what they will do with him - then literally 1 day or so later he called and said Axel is gonna be killed. Prey was shut down for a week...season 3 behind the scenes was messy sounding.

I do wish Andrea made it to season 4, but even if she had, Mazarra possibly would still be the one in charge. I am sure the Andrea thing is the straw that broke the camels back. Season 4 looks to be great - but I will miss Andrea. However, if her death bought Carol more time on the show and chance to shine, I can cope with it. It would be silly to lose all the starting female cast and never see one get somewhere near the shows finish line.

The reason I like Carol/Andrea is (but not just because) we got to see them go from these women still somewhat bound to the norm. We see them lose links to their past through family deaths, and we saw Andrea go from screaming in the RV vs her first ever walker while suicidal, to fighter who charged up to walkers with a flickknife and jabbed them in the head. I like how Andrea still seemed terrified of walkers even when accustomed to killing them. I like how she muttered things to herself as she killed them too "Okay..okay..." I found it realistic. Although I like Maggie and Michonne, there does not feel like much emotion behind the kills like Andrea had.

I am looking forward to seeing Carol vs some walkers this season. Shame we never saw her very first walker kill, as I feel they are important to witness sometimes. Which is why new characters to me will always have a slice of importance missing for me. Now we are at S4, most would have made the transition from the old world to ZA off screen.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. Perfect post.

20. mistymage

mistymage Member

"Getting rid of Lori and Andrea in the same season definitely leaves quite a void as far as female characters go, but I think we’re filling that void with more stuff for people like Carol."
    http://www.vulture.com/2013/10/walking-dead-tough-questions-for-robert-kirkman.html

As a woman Carol's age, who does not color her hair (I have white vs grey... I am going witchy) and can handle a gun... I love Carol. And while I think Daryl (rednecks rule) is great... and could see the two being together.. or not... he has squinchy eyes which are not attractive.