Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Cataclysms

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

New Orleans got hit by another storm, 16 years to the day after Katrina. It looks like it's bad, but not as bad as expected at this point, so that's good.

"
    Hurricane Ida knocked out power to the entire city of New Orleans, hours after blasting ashore as one of the most powerful storms to ever hit the U.S., New Orleans government officials said.

The city's Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Preparedness said on Twitter that energy company Entergy confirmed that New Orleans has no power, and that the only power in the city was coming from generators. The message included a screenshot that cited "catastrophic transmission damage" for the power failure.

The National Weather Service said Ida, which came ashore as a powerful Category 4 hurricane, had weakened to a Category 3 storm with top sustained winds of up to 115 mph as its eye moved west of the city."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/official-ida-knocks-out-power-to-entire-city-of-new-orleans

2. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Not so bad? I guess it depends on how you look at it. Doesn’t sound too good to me. Thankfully New Orleans had shored up their levees after Katrina but I wouldn’t want to be there at this moment in time.

https://apple.news/AL1spzPWiQlaCi969nTBwbQ

3. Morgotha

It was expected to hit land as Cat 4, and it really hit as Cat 3 is what I meant. I have no doubt it was still serious.

4. purriwinkle

Actually, it did come ashore as a category 4 but has since been downsized to a tropical storm now that it’s inland.
    First sentence in the above article:

Ida is barreling through Louisiana after making landfall in the state as a powerful Category 4 hurricane on Sunday afternoon.

5. Morgotha

Before the storm they were talking about how this would be the worst storm since 1860 something, now? They are talking about the amount of rainfall. It would be terrible to be there without power, some people lost their homes, etc. I'm not arguing with you. That's different than the worst storm in living memory though.

6. purriwinkle

Perhaps the strongest to make landfall in a very long time. The destruction is bad but measures were taken since Katrina to help mitigate the damage done and to some extent were successful but still no walk in the park.

Another interesting tidbit, although not unheard of is still considered rare, Ida was strong enough to temporarily reverse the flow of the Mississippi River.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ckward-due-strength-hurricane-ida/5647017001/

#46 purriwinkle, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  7. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good time to take the daughters to Cancun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

The weather channel said it hit as a high 4. 150mph.
    Maybe by the time the eye reached NOLA, it downgraded to a 3.

My daughter lives just west of Mobile AL. She said they were getting gusts up to 100mph.
    And it’s still raining heavily there, so lots of flooding.

The truth is out there