Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

CDC explosion, pretty crappy special effects.

Discussion in 'Episode 106 - TS-19' started by Love2H8Carl, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Love2H8Carl

Love2H8Carl New Member

I understand this is the first season. The budget may have been very low. But still, probably the fakest, kinda funny explosion I've seen in a while. Just thought I would share. Still a huge fan.

2. Walker Shane

Walker Shane Member

I dont think they can afford to blow up the real building lol

3. Walker Bait

Walker Bait Well-Known Member

I had a problem with the idea of the explosion. The whole premise was that it was a failsafe to prevent environmental contamination in case of a power failure. In a situation like that, incineration would be much preferable to explosion. The force of an explosion could actually propel microbes out into the open air before they had been exposed to high heat for a sufficient time to kill them.

Would have been much more plausible had the SFX people just had the CDC become engulfed in flames rather than explode.

4. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

I didn't think it was all that bad. Certainly not for a TV budget.

And considering all the other phenomenal CG work that Stargate does on the show, I can over look any minor quibbles with the CDC explosion.

5. Chreees

Chreees Member

Looked pretty legit to me...

6. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

As much as I would like to see a GOOD zombie flick with the budget of the Hobbit, I take what I get and like it or leave it.

When it is all said and done, I just try and remember the story that they are trying to tell and overlook somethings.

7. Benzel

Benzel Member

The thing that always got me about this was, I could swear when Vai? was explaing the process, she says that it would leave the structure in tact. What happened there?!

8. Agramer

Agramer Well-Known Member

I think that it wasn't so bad...

Still, I was expecting a little better special effects... The crew who's working on the show is fantastic.

9. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

There's only so much you can do when recording smaller explosions/flames in a studio in front of a black screen and then applying them to a massive building in a natrual environment. All things considered I think they did just fine. Small touches like the shockwaves bending the trees went a long way to making it more convincing.

10. zombitch

zombitch Member

i agree, regardless of the budget, that was rubbish.

11. StreborET

StreborET New Member

Mistakes: When rick is in the RV (camera to his left), waiting for Dale and Andrea, if you look through the windshield you can see two people (crew?) standing in the distance. That explosion will blow out every window on the vehicles. Why don't they pick up the various weapons, and at least, search for ammo on the way to the entrance?

12. Swan

Swan Member

13. Geek Walker

Geek Walker Member

Ya you got a point. That explosion would have thrown any contaminates into the surrounding area.

Now I want to go back just watch that part.