Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Charlie Adlard has gotten a little sloppy

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Comic Characters' started by Negan, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Negan

Negan Active Member

I am okay with any type of art in the comics I read. And I read a lot of comics. Some people go by writer and artist when they choose what to put on their "pull list", but, I just go by hero. Hell, this one writer has taken away the regenerative abilities of my favorite anti-hero, Deadpool, but I still like the character, so I still read the series.

Anyways, onto Charlie Adlard. I love the guy. He is a very kind, down to Earth guy, who has drawn many of my favorite characters over the years.

But, in The Walking Dead, he is getting sloppy. Look at the Hilltop characters Kal and Carson and then look at Glenn. They look similar, don't they? Is he running out of character models or what? Also, look at the artwork itself. It is just getting too sloppy. It is like he has no time for facial features or backgrounds. It is just plain ol' white.

Do you agree? Is ​Adlard getting a little too sloppy?

2. Misfit

Misfit Active Member

I don't think so. But, to be honest, I don't pay much attention to the artwork.

3. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't think it's so bad, either. Not that I noticed while reading, anyway. Like Misfit, I don't always examine every little detail of the frame unless it's crucial to the plot. The characters in the backgrounds could be stick figures and I probably wouldn't mind....

4. Misfit

Misfit Active Member

I feel the exact same way.

5. GreekSalads

GreekSalads Active Member

Did you hear that Tony Moore (the artist that did the first six issues) is filing a lawsuit against Kirkman. He said in an interview that "Kirkman is a proud liar".

6. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, I just saw a new article on that today and he's trying to get the title of co-author for TWD and his other collaborations with Kirkman. Of course we don't know everything about the case, but it wreaks of greed to me. He's upset that he signed away his portion of the rights now that the show has taken the franchise to unprecedented heights.

#6 Bassman, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  7. skaaaa

skaaaa Well-Known Member

If the background characters were stick figures I probably wouldn't even notice. xD

8. Scarry Larry

Scarry Larry Member

Ive always been curious about why Moore left the book.

I see what you mean about Adlards art. But it doesnt bother me. And many of his character designs still feel fresh. I like his gritty style. If you look at his early issues, he was drawing more like Moore. Cartoony. But hes put a different feel on the book since then.

9. Negan

Negan Active Member

Moore left because of deadlines. He had many other projects and couldn't keep up with The Walking Dead's deadlines.

10. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

I'm not like Bassman and Misft. Art is a big part of a comic and bad art can hurt the overall expeirence of reading one. If the charecters where stick figures or just horribly drawn that would definitely take away some of my enjoyment. However, with that said, I think the art in TWD is just fine.

11. Negan

Negan Active Member

I suggest you all read Issue 19 and then read Issue 99 (not 100; he tried his best there, and it was perfect, save for f-ckity f-cks.)

Big difference, isn't it?

12. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Note that we said BACKGROUND characters. It would definitely hurt the comic if Rick and the other main characters were stick figures. :zombies_lol:

#12 Bassman, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  13. rabscuttle1

I still wouldn't want the background characters to be stick figures. Granted, they don't need to be drawn as good as those being focused on, but background characters still need some substance.

14. rabscuttle1

I have read every issue so far, and while I agree that there is a difference, I don't think the difference is as horrible as you seem to. That's all I was saying.

15. Scarry Larry

Scarry Larry Member

I see what you mean. Yeh, he was a lot more cartoony back then. I see how his penciling looks a little loose now. The edges arent as sharp. Sometimes his faces look fat and generic. But it doesnt bother me enough to think about it.

16. RicksRightHand

I've just started re-reading the series... It's so easy to pick out differences with the Compendium. I also always wondered why Tony Moore left the comic.

I was gutted that Moore's artwork only went as far as the end of Volume 2. I really liked his style and the comics were an absolute joy to read... I still love the comics with Adlard doing the illustrations but I find myself skimming over the odd frame because I don't find it as visually appealing.

I've also found myself re-reading pages with Adlard just to reaffirm what's going on. I used to always get confused between Dale and Hershel, quite often they were drawn similarly and I would agree with Fem that his art has gotten progressively sloppy as the series goes on.

I still love the comic but I think at times the artwork doesn't keep up to the same standard as the story, nor does it sometimes keep up to the standard that we've been made to expect.

If I had the choice I'd take Moore's artwork over Adlards any day, (granted he never had as long a run at things as Adlard has) but Moore's art was consistent and in my opinion more visually pleasing.

17. skaaaa

skaaaa Well-Known Member

Tony Moore only did the first 6 issues.

18. RicksRightHand

Okay, my mistake I was judging roughly from the compendium... that really wasn't the point of my post though. He did the entire first volume and the artwork in that to this day remains my favourite artwork of the series.

19. skaaaa

skaaaa Well-Known Member

Yeah I know. I was just saying.

Honestly though I've never noticed the sloppiness of Charlie Adlard.

20. Scarry Larry

Scarry Larry Member

Were talking about a professional artist on one of the most popular comics in the world right now. Im pretty sure anything hes doing differently is conscious and intentional. When he took over for Moore, he tried to maintain the cartoony feel of the book. But somewhere along the line he turned to a grittier style. Looking back at his original work... I wouldnt call it silly. But like Moores stuff, it seems a lil out of place now. Like the characters are more goofy than hardened. Everything looks pretty real now. Almost like a storyboard for a movie. I like that.