Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Charlie Adlard has gotten a little sloppy

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Comic Characters' started by Negan, Aug 9, 2012.

1. RicksRightHand

I'm not saying he's sloppy to the degree that I'd stop reading the comic, I'm just agreeing with Fem because I can see some instances where I think he drops the ball a little bit in terms of the quality on his illustrations.

I also don't think that just because he's a professional artists means that he always delivers his A-game. Professional athletes have bad games, profesional musicians have bad shows and professional actors have bad days too. I respect the man, I'm not an artist and I know drawing the same thing constantly must be some task... I've played guitar for nearly half my life but I'd be lying if I said that every time I play a song I play it the exact same way each time without fail... the man is human, he's going to have the odd sketch that isn't quite right.

My gripe wasn't really with Adlard anyway, he was always going to have a bit of an uphill struggle with some people given that his own brand of art wasn't what launched with the beginning of the series... I can respect his interpretation of the story and admittedly it is much grittier, I just still prefer Moore's art (even if people didn't think it was dark enough for the series).

2. Scarry Larry

Scarry Larry Member

I'm in the process of re-reading the entire series. And I've gotta admit... At first I didnt think this was a discussion worth having. Adlards art has changed. But I never would have called it sloppy. But now Im not so sure. The amount of detail he used in the beginning versus what hes putting out now... Im still not gonna call it sloppy. But Id be very interested to hear what he has to say about the change. And Im curious what if anything Rathburns inks have to to w/ any of it.

Seriously, if youre not seeing the difference, go back and read issue 24. And then read 101. Its pretty significant. Has to be intentional. Not sloppy.

3. Scarry Larry

Scarry Larry Member

Just finished re-reading the entire series. Gotta admit theres a couple issues (during "No Way Out") where you almost cant tell the difference between Carl, Maggie, and Glen. But the most recent issues are really just great. Theres just this faded, melancholy atmosphere about them. A lot of line work. Check out 102. The conversation between Rick and Andrea. Especially the panel where she says, "It's your fault when the rest of us live." Great frame.

That being said, I did notice theres a lot of Ricks head and Ricks head talking in the last 20 or 30 issues. Thats getting a little old. But I can live with it. Just loving where this series is going right now.

4. Elvis Ambush

Elvis Ambush Member

There are a lot of characters I had a hard time keeping straight. Dale, Hershel and Eugene all look very similar. And now that Eugene is losing weight, he's looking even more like Dale.

5. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

I've never had any trouble telling any of the characters apart.

6. skaaaa

skaaaa Well-Known Member

On 103 the panel where Negan is leaving Rick's safe zone he looks fat in the second one. xD

7. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

went back and read and I never had any trouble telling anyone apart. Some people looking similar is probably intentional but they've never been to similar to tell apart. I don't think any of his art looked sloppy.

8. nadine

nadine New Member

the only thing that really gets on my nerves is the ears.. i mean how hard is it to draw a realistic looking ear??!! i find myself always spending a moment to look at each ear..

9. hellbunny

hellbunny Member

I just wanna point out that it's surprisingly hard to draw a realistic looking ear.

However I notice this, too from time to time, there are times when I don't even know which character is speaking because their face bares no resemblance to the one I'm familiar with, you would think that they'd have a catalogue of basic faces and features to trace but perhaps not.

I'm actually working on a sorta TWD comic inspired self portrait of myself at the moment, it's a style I'm not used to and I was surprised at how difficult it's been.