Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Chernobyl on HBO

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by Lindigo, May 21, 2019.

1. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Yeah I wish had started watching it from the start, but instead I ended up seeing them in two separate 2 hour blocks. I still have the finale left to watch now.

I've always been fascinated too by the whole Chernobyl story. Those photos of the desolated area are powerful. It's really amazing too that they kept it from being an even large catastrophe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Stealth

Yes, that segment of the show was difficult to watch too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I didn't even realize the catastrophe they averted. That made my jaw drop.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Me, too. Chernobyl has always fascinated me and I always watched the special news stories on it. I think it was 60 Minutes that did an interview with some of the heroes, doing what had to be done. Not sure about that, but the visuals of what the survivors looked like at that point are indelible.

If you listen to the podcast, you learn that

• Like Like x 1
  5. PepperAnn

Just a couple months back I was looking at new photos of what Chernobyl looks like today. It's haunting. Time has stood still.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Lindigo

I would take 90 seconds on that roof instead. :(

7. Lindigo

Yes, it is so eerie. But some of the wildlife rebounded! They said their natural lives are so short anyway, the radiation doesn't have enough time to mess up their genomes.

I saw a show once about how hard it would be to surround this or a similar area in visual warnings that would still be able to warn people millennia later to stay out. Long enough away that there would be no reason to assume people spoke the same languages we have now or have any trace memory of Chernobyl. They used viscerally terrifying symbolism in the mock ups to show how you might be able to keep curious humans away by visual conveying This is a Deadly Place of Great Evil Where Nothing Can Survive. You Must Not Enter. It really was a fascinating problem to mull over. No spectacular fence of any height or depth would work by itself, as people are explorers by nature.

8. PepperAnn

They say even today you can only visit for a short amount of time. I am still only on the beginning of episode 4 but it still fascinates me that the people trying to fix things still freely walk around without fear of radiation poisoning.

9. Lindigo

Maybe they are still rotating the people out when they have reached their maximum lifetime dosage. Everyone wears a badge that tracks the cumulative radiation they have been exposed to, even a one-time visitor.

On Top Gear, they set a challenge for the guys to get somewhere first on a limited amount of fuel. Do you go fast to be first, or do you drive more cautiously to ensure you will have enough fuel to make it to the goal? They started talking strategy and then the kicker: Chernobyl is on the path, right where you might run out of fuel, just before you get to the goal, and you drive through the eerily preserved zone. You should have seen the stunned looks on their faces. New strategizing. They started tearing out the extra seats and absolutely anything not critical to driving that would make the cars lighter. Rear view mirrors? fenders? windshield wipers? who needs them. At least one of the guys duct taped up the doors and things like that to make his car more streamlined and to simultaneously keep "fresh" air out. Do you tape the doors or unhinge them and throw that weight out? That was the sort of decision making they went through.

I think Richard Hammond figured out how to coast a good part so he could save fuel to blast through the zone.

#29 Lindigo, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. Lindigo

11. Lindigo

The last podcast

12. Stealth

I still haven't done the podcasts for each episode yet. Need to circle back around for those. I did watch the finale yesterday though. Interesting how Gorbachev believed Chernobyl was the biggest contributing factor for the collapse of the Soviet Union. They just couldn't lie their way out of that one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Stealth

There's a Ukrainian photographer, Elena Filatova, who did a large, eerie photo shoot of the area about ten years ago. That really increased my interest in the whole Chernobyl story.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lindigo

Yes, I never heard that, either. The podcast says the sheer cost and resources they had to throw into the recovery was a massive strain. And that's even though the Russians or Soviets didn't pay for the cement dome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Anyone spot the GoT actors on this show?

The guy who played Roos Bolton and the Iron Islands guy who mortally wounded maester Luwin. Can't remember his character name though.

Anyway, this show was amazing.

16. Lindigo

Probably no one cares about Top Gear except me, but I want to correct what I said. I was surprised to see a clip from that show turn up on my youtube options today, but it makes sense since I have been watching the podcasts and I watch Top Gear. Actually what the guys weighed was whether they could run out of gas before they even got to Chernobyl or be able to drive through. That duct taping must have been from another episode.

What Richard Hammond figured out was that if he swerved back and forth all over the road he would be accruing more mileage and have a greater chance of running out of fuel before Chernobyl. This clip does show the two of them who still had petrol driving through the exclusion zone with Geiger counters on the passenger seats getting noisier. They can actually see the reactor from the road and the progress of the dome being built, as well as the playground we all remember.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stealth

I didn't understand the whole gas thing. Why were they going there with such little fuel?

18. PepperAnn

I'm all avoiding this thread and skipping to the end right now to post. I really need to finish this series. LOL

19. Lindigo

Every episode they would be given some automotive challenge and they competed against each other for fun. The first episode I watched, they were tasked with building better ambulances. Their ideas were hilarious, their mock up patients went flying when they were delivered to the "hospital," and I was hooked. A couple of times they tried to build amphibious contraptions to get across the Channel before sinking in ignominy. Sometimes they race a super car against a bullet train to some destination. It's always hilarious, and they are not above sabotaging each other. This episode was a big switch up.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Lindigo

No worries. We have already gone completely off the rails. LOL We wouldn't spoil anything for you even if we were still on topic. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1