Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Class warfare

Discussion in 'Episode 412 - Still' started by Lolly92660, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Lolly92660

Lolly92660 Member

I'm not a huge fan of the Talking Dead, but I found one of the trivia pop-ups very interesting - it said, "These walkers are country club members that were killed by the staff in a class struggle." I hadn't gotten that by just watching the episode and was wondering why one was labeled "rich bitch". Guess I know now.

Still not sure why so many people thought the country club was an awesome place to try and ride out the ZA, but hey, this is TWD and sometimes you just gotta go with the flow.

2. wolffe

wolffe Member

That's weird. I'm pretty sure during any big breakdown of law and order nobody's going to be thinking "I should kill rich people". Everyones more like "I got to kill anyone before they kill me and I must survive".

3. TyberiusFox

TyberiusFox Well-Known Member

You really don't think in a breakdown of law and order that people wouldn't take advantage? Are you not aware of how many messed up people walk the earth? I'm sure there was lots of people willing to use the ZA excuse to do whatever they wanted.

4. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

I guess it's a comment on the rich that they congregated where they felt most safe and pampered and they just assumed that while the ZA happened to other people they would continue their privileged life in the club house. The Rich Bitch could have been trying to bribe her way into the clubhouse using her traditional barter (money and jewels) which were now rendered useless by the ZA. The rich were probably frustrated that the ZA changed all the rules and that Jose the caddy and Manuel the drink's waiter were no longer taking orders or were not able to be bribed with money because they had other allegiances.

5. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

Maybe the ZA broke out during the midst of a huge social Soirre for Biff and Muffy....

6. 12Gauge

12Gauge Active Member

Before the turn, I'm sure that the staff at the Country Club had in mind who they'd like to string up. Think about months maybe years of taking crap from the economically fortunate. I'm thinking about a cumulative frustration here.

7. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I guess it's a comment on the not rich that they would kill and mutilate people over something as stupid as money, rather than character.

8. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

They obviously weren't fighting over money. The rich have heaps of it and are used to using it to get them stuff. The poor need none of it in a ZA.

9. tink

tink Well-Known Member

So, based on what we saw in the episode how can you make a claim that you did? If they weren't fighting over money, what were they fighting over? And why did the not rich kill the rich if not over money? Just for kicks? Because hatred is the way to go?

10. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

Yeah, I caught that too. People don't realize just how long people(especially the ones who were very affluent in their pre-plague life) would try to clings to the ideals, and material possessions from their old way of life. I think we would see a huge class war in the early days of the outbreak. Many people looking to take advantage, to loot, plunder, and exploit in the worst ways. Some for twisted pleasure, others with the notion that this will all "blow over" and I'll be left a rich man. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see the damn near complete extinction of the white collar, high class, upper echelon species. Especially in a scenario like TWD, where the entire global infrastructure is extinct and the living are outnumbered 5,000:1. In the beginning they would be victimized for their possessions. Their cash, jewels, cars, homes, easily dispatched by the thousands by plunders, rapists and sociopaths galore. Not to mention the living dead. But as we move farther into the apocalypse. these people would just to literally wither away. They would realize they possess no valued vocation, they have none of the tools or talent necessary to survive in this new post-plague world. These are the type of people who were all some version of an "executive", a "representative", an "analyst", or a "consultant". These are folks who have never known hardship, never handled a weapon, or even been on a camping trip. The ones who attempted to survive, would have to rely on the strength of others. They would soon find themselves taking orders from "Magda" and "Manuel", the same people who used to be on their payroll as cleaning lady and gardener respectively. Believe it or not, this would be very unbearable for many. Their practical uselessness coupled with their inability to adapt, and also a general disgust with the idea of getting their white collar dirty and having to live with/be led by a plumber or a carpenter in some blue collar "ghetto" would lead to them quickly fading into oblivion.

They explore this topic extensively, and in a very detailed manor in "World War Z" by Max Brooks. In the book it speaks of the wasteful, artificial lifestyle we've created for ourselves. And how it is so inefficient, and requires immense and unrealistic global feats of industry and logistics to be sustained that it's demise is inevitable. It could never stand the test of time because it's so terribly unsustainable, and completely impractical.

Side note-- I thought it was pretty cool to see Daryl sort of revert, or default his pre-plague demeanor and way of living. Something he was very familiar and comfortable with, when all else fails do what you know. I think he feels like the change he was trying to make, the man he was trying to become with Rick and the people of the prison, has brought him not but pain and turmoil in the end. It was especially neat to him frantically cash and jewels into his pack. Trinkets of a seemingly ancient era, whose value and use have been rendered obsolete. But that deep seated, subconscious, part of Daryl. The grifter, the vagrant, the borderline feral, the use and abuser, the follower, the opportunistic criminal. It was this "true nature" that rendered him powerless, literally physically unable to restrain, to pass by those worthless pieces of bric-a-brac that he was taught, trained his whole life to hold in the highest of esteem. The one and only thing everyone strove for, the only thing that kept him and his beloved older brother from living the "good life". He couldn't help himself, he needed to take it. How could he not? How could he be expected to just leave it there from someone else to have? I'm sure those were justifications he made in his own mind. After all that kind of loot was the sort of thing he only dreamed of in life before, that unattainable thing, that white whale him and Merle were always chasing, always need more of, always hoping and dreaming of that one big lick. Who can blame him? Aren't we all kind of hardwired to respond that way?

#10 jwcoombs, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Shumpert

Shumpert Member

I'm thinking there was a combination of two forces at work here.
    The rich (as Alina pointed out) settled in at the country club expecting the status quo to remain intact.
    The workers (as 12Gauge suggested) rebelled after years of abuse and frustration and whatnot.

very Romero-ian, if you ask me

12. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

[MENTION=25512]jwcoombs[/MENTION] has done a much better job than I could do of explaining how it's likely to go down in the fight over money. Read his post.

13. tink

tink Well-Known Member

So how is your post here different than what you accuse the "rich" people who have "never known hardship"? Do you honestly believe that just because someone has money that they have never known hardship, or would have nothing to contribute to any society? I guess you've never heard of anyone working their way up in life through hard work and determination. I would say this says more about your class warfare than any sort of reality. And it certainly doesn't say much about people who aren't rich if they become murdering, mindless thugs at the first sign of adversity.

14. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

It's a country club. a bunch on rich folk probably showed up there and expected to be catered to. After years of mistreatment, the staff probably had had enough of these rich folk trying to boss them around and rose up and took them out.

15. falconsfan1

falconsfan1 Member

Too long; still read.

16. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

Calm down, I think most people know this is all complete speculation, and utter generalization based on the hypothetical and unlikely scenario of a zombie apocalypse. I thought I made it rather apparent that my post wasn't made up of my personal views and opinions, but a combination of information on "class warfare" that I had gathered from various works of zombie fiction(one of which is a fictional oral history​). I apologize for not including a bibliography. As for the attempted jabs at my personal character, I won't dignify those with a response. That being said, I most apparently offended you very personally, and for that I am sorry.

#16 jwcoombs, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  17. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

This discussion appears to have personally triggered you in some way so that your posts are casting around trying to pick a fight with someone - anyone? We're obviously talking about stereotypes here of the way that the established rich behave (note: not people who have worked their way up in life, people who were born well established in life) and the servant class whom they often abuse, who, to many people's way of thinking have perfectly legitimate reasons to be resentful at their treatment.

12 Years a Slave just won the best picture Oscar. Imagine a ZA on a slave plantation. Would you characterise the slaves that took advantage of that situation as mindless thugs or righteous self-liberators?

18. Captain Trips

Captain Trips Member

I'm guessing everything at the country club transpired pretty early in the ZA. Pretty much a "Who's gonna do the dishes after the revolution" scenario...

The music from the closing scene (It's been one of my favorite songs for years) is also a part of the narrative even beyond commenting on Daryls situation.

[video=youtube;_PO4r9m_6Xk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PO4r9m_6Xk[/video]

By the way, I do my own dishes now and I'll do my own dishes then :zombies_lol:

19. Kilroy was here

Kilroy was here Well-Known Member

The American Revolution in the South very much turned into that scenario, with some horrendous atrocities (families massacred, beheadings, babies cut from wombs). In many respects it was a civil war. Ironically it was the rich favoring independence and the poor as Loyalists in this case.

20. tink

tink Well-Known Member

No. But I also wouldn't consider myself a slave just because I don't make as much money as someone else. Apparently you do.

And yeah I do have issues with the new "class warfare" sloganeering. Having a lot of money you have does not constitute your worth any more than not having a lot of money. People in all classes can either have excellent character or not. Money has nothing to do with it.