Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Class warfare

Discussion in 'Episode 412 - Still' started by Lolly92660, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Reflexx

Reflexx Member

People act like the rich are less capable; which is laughable. Sure, there are some that are useless. That can be said of any class.

Many rich people are just as capable as anyone else when it comes to dealing with adversity. Maybe even more so if they were self made.

Heck, a lot of people who are fortunate enough to have grown up rich are good shooters with guns and bows, are capable martial artists, well informed and educated about nature, etc...

2. Reflexx

Reflexx Member

Hooray for stereotypes! It makes for awesome deep writing. We should see more stereotypes.

I can wait until Tyree goes gangster on some of the white people holding him down. Glenn will stay out of it and be submissive, until he is pushed too far and end the battle with flying kicks.

3. HeadlessHershel

Class warfare??? We don't have class warfare in the United States because this is a free country. I imagine after the ZA you have even more freedom to do whatever you want. If you don't like your job in this country you quit or sue your employer. We have racism, sex slaves, and other real-world problems but for the most part people are free to do whatever they want.

If the members living inside the club were murdered by workers or former staff over any animosity about the way they were treated that's a hate crime in the 21st century—not 'class warfare'. Having said that I have no idea what to make of the scene inside the clubhouse but I got the impression it was intentionally ambiguous like so many others on TWD. The only explanation for now seems to be there is no explanation.

4. Elly F.

Elly F. Member

I thought the "rich bitch" sign was to remind us we still had people out and about killing alive people and sticking judgmental signs on their bodies.... ie "liar", "rapist" etc.

5. walkerbait74

walkerbait74 Well-Known Member

[MENTION=25512]jwcoombs[/MENTION], Nice observation and excellent reference to WWZ!! Something like this WOULD happen, IMO, people of affluence would either die in the initial panic, or try to use their social standings to push the less fortunate to the side for their own survival. I can only imagine what may have happened in the club house, considering the fact that all the "members" were in one room, like they may been forced into that room and the employees were in charge, just barely keeping them alive. Clearly, a ZA would only benefit those who wish to do harm to others or get revenge and now they realize that their time to rule has come, even if it means doing things that they would NEVER do if such an apocalyptic event occurred.

It seems like a frightening thought, but it would definitely happen, I have no doubt.

6. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

The reality is, there are many rich people who do act entitled and there are lower class people who harbor a lot of hatred toward these people and feel like they are owed something. Neither side is right, but in a ZA when all rules go out the window you better believe there would be some nastiness going on like what we saw at the country club. People's true ugliness comes out, as we've already seen with some other groups of people on the show.

7. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

TWD should have named that episode "The Rise of Carl Spackler"...
    [​IMG]

8. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

The term "class warfare" may not be the most accurate description of the clubhouse scene, but it's close enough for me. Someone in the show strung up the three people and wrote the sign. The scene reminded me of Rhett Butler referring to "lowlifes" when he and Scarlett were fleeing Atlanta.

Some friends in another country have related a saying there: The first generation starts a business, the second generation expands the business, and the third generation loses the business. It's a meme, not a stereotype.

9. shhh its me

shhh its me Member

I don't think its laughable many people extremely affluent people have spent their lives becoming experts in fields which would no longer be relevant in ZA. Some profession would have a benefit and so would some hobbies, I'd still rather be with Daryl or Carol even if all I knew was "Daryl is a redneck with a cross bow" and "Carol was an abused wife of a survivalist" then "country club member". These particular rich people joined a 90 year old country club in the south. The staff was still in their vests and the members were still wearing pearls. Rich people don't tend to walk around with tens of thousand in cash so it appears at least some of them hit the bank/safety deposit/cleared out their home safes in emergency mode before they went to the club.

10. TyberiusFox

TyberiusFox Well-Known Member

I suggest going back and re-reading your history book. Instead of running around yelling "off with their head!", I guess it was "off with their upper body!"

#30 TyberiusFox, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  11. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Active Member

I agree with this to a certain degree.
    You're always going to have those people that built their fortunes from the ground up.
    And you're always going to have those that might've actually served in the armed forces or a police force before hopping on to a gig that paid bank for whatever reason(got educated, private company saw their talents while in the public sector,. etc)

However, those types would probably be amongst the preppers and survivalist types that knew the consequences and decided to remain hidden either in their bat-caves, or incognito/in plain sight.
    I mean, Michonne in those flash-backs seemed to be pretty well-off herself and even retains her passion for weird art stuff.
    And she slices heads like a bread slicer slices loaves!!

I was under the belief that these pish-poshes at the country club were implied to be the white-collar, over-paid, executive desk jockeys and trophy spouses that we all love to despise.
    Easy prey, easy pickin'!!

#31 bentstrider83, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  12. 12Gauge

12Gauge Active Member

Don't forget about flying stars or high-pitched yells. o_O

13. thewalkingmummy

Can someone explain why most of the members in the big room were dead without having turned into walkers? Do we assume the staff shot them all in the head? Seems unlikely.

14. HeadlessHershel

Well you had dead people all over the floor and it looked like a family or part of one was hanging from the ceiling. Why murder all those people and leave the money? If you leave the money because it has no value than social status or class likewise has no meaning or value so I don't see that being a motive unless some people living in the clubhouse tried to maintain their elite social status or rank among the survivors. Not that it matters but that's my best guess at this point after seeing the 'rich bitch' sign and the graffiti.

15. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

Completely off-topic here. But I wanted to point out a very astute observation of yours concerning Michonne. You mentioned she appeared to be affluent in her pre-plague life. Ironically enough, given the subject matter of this thread and debate Michonne is the perfect example of what [MENTION=7425]Reflexx[/MENTION] was referring to in the last lines of his post.

Michonne was an established and well earned member of the upper class before the Turn. She's college educated(maybe even Ivy League), having attended a prestigious law school, and subsequently receiving a law degree and pass the state bar exam. Also, during the vast majority of her adolescence, and the entirety of her collegiate career, she was a passionate and rigorous fencer. She began the sport at a young age, and through passion and dedication became a very formidable opponent. I'd imagine she was a prevalent force in the collegiate competitive fencing scene during her time.

16. zipykido

zipykido Member

I was wondering that too, maybe they were so weak when they died that they weren't able to turn into walkers.

17. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wondered about that too. They could have been killed execution style in which case, yeah, they would have been shot in the head.

18. fruitfulandgay

fruitfulandgay Well-Known Member

This thread is kind of strange to me, a lot of passion here regarding a fictional situation. I work in the service industy, never at a country club, mind you, but I spent some time at a yacht club. I suppose an argument could be made that boat peopled are more capable than golf people, but that's not my argument at this point.
    If you belong to a club that you have to pay to be a member of, then you are a member of a rather tight community.
    The people in these clubs know one another. The staff knows everyone too.
    There are leaders, and there are followers. There's a bully, and then the guy who makes everyone laugh. There are drunks and sophists. It's a mixed bag. Same goes for the staff.
    My point being that unless this was a particularly ill treated group of employees, I don't see the staff rising up and wiping everyone out.
    One guy (the bully), maybe.
    To me this seems very much like well, just fiction. "Rise of the Governor" type stuff.
    The thing that really grabbed my attention was the ritch bitch tag. Could it be the sign killer?

19. shhh its me

shhh its me Member

Rick and Shane were best friends before the ZA and they we both willing to kill the other in less then 3 months? It's the end of the world in one of the thousands of clubs/hospitals/barracks/shelters whatever some of the ,staff/Doctors & nurses/soldiers/ administrators, will become murderous in 60-120 days in some instances it will be the ,patrons/patients/civilians/refugees etc.

20. fruitfulandgay

fruitfulandgay Well-Known Member

Yeah, shane sacrificed a man he had no relationship with. Later, Rick, regretfully killed shane. He was a bad seed. Dont't really get your point , please enlighten me.