Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Class warfare

Discussion in 'Episode 412 - Still' started by Lolly92660, Mar 3, 2014.

1. fruitfulandgay

fruitfulandgay Well-Known Member

Sorry, should have given you the benefit of a quote so that you know I'm addressing you personaly

2. sutton

sutton New Member

Talking Dead called it "class struggle" which is different from class warfare. We can't assume much more beyond that the club was used as a refuge by many people of different backgrounds, and they couldn't get along with one another. Its easy to imagine the members and the staff resenting one another for lots of reasons. Unlike the several other groups we've witnessed over this season, prison included, that were preyed on by others, this group likely destroyed itself. I wasn't too satisfied with Talking Dead's explanation... I wanted the Marauders to be responsible or at least involved in some way

3. Chaos

Chaos Member

Why do you think that is necessarily so? Some wealthy people exhibit poor character thinking material possession is indicative of someone's value. The sign featured a common description of such people. Moreover, the fact that some particular person or group would do it isn't indicative that the entire class would. Poor analysis.

#43 Chaos, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  4. shhh its me

shhh its me Member

Point being a few members of staff killing a few club members and/or vice versa is no more fiction then Rick and Shane's (and Shane's and Otis) dynamic. The fiction isn't that some people would do brutal senseless things the fiction is the extreme circumstances that would allow so many people to become brutal.

5. fruitfulandgay

fruitfulandgay Well-Known Member

That is not the way I bodes it happning at my workplace. Everyone has something new, sometimes even brilliant, or eclusive to offer(how quickly you forget eugne)&-

6. ryannasaurus

ryannasaurus Member

Is this really what you think rich people are like? Or are you just saying the show was trying to say that?

7. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

Yeah me too, I liked the fact they explained that on TTD, it wasn't that obvious at first to me as to the meaning of that whole scene until it was brought up..

8. The_Not_So_Dead

For me it came across as what happened in the movie "Ghost ship".

I think it happened somewhere in the beginning of the ZA. If it was more recent I would think that both Beth and Daryl would probably fainted at the smell of all those decomposing bodies (where were the flies?).

I think that it was either some people who used to work there or someone who knew that the wealthy were hiding there.

Most bodies were still wearing their jewelry, so I don't think it had anything to do money. (Though maybe it was about money and jewels in the beginning, with a couple of people holding them at gunpoint, making them put off their jewelry, then someone could've snapped and started killing and torturing them - the hanged people, the woman with "rich bitch".)

9. Reflexx

Reflexx Member

This is one area where I can say... "poor writing."

10. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

I think it's true of some rich people.

I know that when you say "rich" to Americans they tend to think "hell, yeah, self-made millionaire - just like I'm going to be in this great land of opportunity and FREEDOM" whereas for English/Australians when you say "rich" we tend not to think of go-getters but of nobility whose wealth is based on generations of land-owning and exploitation of the working class and the colonies.

Many of the nobility are actually useless when it comes to life skills. They literally would not know how to operate a washing machine because they've never had to do it, in fact, they probably wouldn't be able to pick out a washing machine in a line-up. White South Africans who are used to having a battalion of black servants can be the same (and we have plenty of them in Australia).

So I think saying things like "class warfare" elicits a different set of prejudices in Brits and Aussies compared to Americans.

I think if you tell Americans about a country club where rich people hang out they tend to think "I'd like to hang out there one day" whereas Aussies/Brits tend to think "I'd like to see the people who hang out there brought down one day".

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chaos

Chaos Member

Why?

12. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I agree reactions might be a cultural thing. You'd think the writers would take that into consideration though. The whole thing was a little confusing.

13. Elly F.

Elly F. Member

yes very odd. I also feel that they paid a bit more attention to the dead floor group as daryl and beth walked through them. i didnt see any blood, or gsw's. even the family in "claimed", they didnt show all entry wounds but we saw dried blood pools and safetly assumed what had happened. this is just... weird

14. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

Not for anything, but you realize you've just done the exact mirror image of this, right? There are plenty of "poor" people about whom you can say the same.

Either way, it's moot, considering this is a fictional show, we'll never know exactly what happened or even if it was the staff who did it. Could have been vagrants who happened to be from a different class (like Daryl and Merle... not saying it's them) or anyone.

#54 ntotoro, Mar 4, 2014
  15. Grizzzly540

Grizzzly540 Member

I think that what took place was more subtle and isolated than the grand generalizations that people have been making. The struggle wasn't about money. That seems ridiculous to me. I think it could have been about the group dynamic and the struggle for power and control. Two factions broke out. The members who feel like they are entitled to the clubhouse - they pay dues after all, VS the Employees who also feel like this place is their home and that the members are merely guests. It could be that the "help" were treated as such even after such social divisions became irrelevant. Not all wealthy people would behave that way, but the ones that chose to wear their pearls and spend the Zombie Apocalypse in their country club apparently did. It would have been small things like why does the janitor get pressured into making the food runs, but the club members insist that they get first pick of the food? Why is it that the bartender wants to go rescue his cousin but is told that there aren't enough supplies to go around -all agree, but when golf buddy staggers in a week later all the members insist on letting him in. Employees are rationing food, but mannequin girl decides that she is extra hungry today. Remember the Titanic? That's somewhat how I imagine the scenario. The employees were treated as employees who must continue their service even after their shift was over for good. The Members may not have said this out loud but a subconscious feeling of superiority and entitlement shone through. Mannequin girl is an exception to the above in this theory - she was a blatant B$&@/ to everyone. Of course not everyone there wanted it to be that way, but like in prison, you don't want to be a loner. The final conflict should not have happened, one hothead employee was disrespected and it escalated too quickly. Mob mentality set in and the French Revolution was reenacted.

This is a theory, far fetched perhaps, but whatever took place was brutal. The symbolism is the dynamic between the country club and the moonshiner's shack. Darryl resented the clubhouse and Beth's "spoiled entitlement" regarding the quest for alcohol and how he needs to take care of her dead weight. No one ever took care of him. Then, "The moonshine cabin is where I feel at home... Wait... No this is not home... I am no longer bound by my redneck past... Burn my self sorrow to the ground... Beth and I are friends." Entire episode used up just to get Darryl and Beth to have that moment.

16. Omg!Pudding!

Omg!Pudding! Member

@Grizzzly540- Great post. The Titanic comparison is spot on; couldn't help but thinking of the same as I read through this thread (also kudos to whomever mentioned Scarlett and Rhett fleeing ATL.)

Interestingly, while it may have been a hastily written and not fully fleshed out post, the 412 recap on thewalkingdead.com muses,

"The inside of the country club may have been nice at some point but now it’s a horror show. The attempted group suicide did not go as plan..."

I read that before watching The Talking Dead, and it broadened my impression that there was much more going on in that shelter than a crude eat the rich mentality. I think it's very likely that the club members did attempt to shut out the staff initially, either by physically barring them from safe haven (a la lifeboats on the Titanic,) or otherwise leveraging their social status to the effect of denying certain provisions and privileges to those deemed of lower stations. As the situation became more perilous, certain people "opted-out" and left a ransacked and vulnerable building, crawling with walkers, to be (or not to be) cleared by resentful survivors.

Good times, now to find that Dead Kennedys record...

Edit to add- [MENTION=6327]Grizzzly540[/MENTION], what I meant to say before going off on that tangent, is that you did an excellent job of summing up the significance of that scene in accordance with the episode outcome.

#56 Omg!Pudding!, Mar 4, 2014
  17. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I feel like it was more that they just got caught there. Most of them were the people who happened to be golfing and hanging out there the day the shit really hit the fan. Something happened suddenly: a golf cart was lying on its side in the fairway. And if the staff was still there, it seems like something happened that prevented everyone from leaving. I agree that it doesn't really jive that well with a slow walker ZA outbreak, but maybe they just got unlucky and things went down very badly at that location early on. The large amounts of cash is hard to explain, unless there were a few Rich members that emptied out their safes and travelled there on purpose to hide, but there also may have been a safe on the premises that got looted. I imagine that someone wrote out a general backstory of what happened there, so this scene could be created to be consistent with whatever the backstory was. It would be interesting to find out.

18. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Exactly. I think that we were suppose to believe that the tensions developed slowly over time, based on people subconsciously being unable to let go of their class identification, even after these classes no longer exist.

19. Wicklowwolf

Wicklowwolf Member

We don't know yet who killed those people and put that 'rich bitch' note on the dead woman. Nor do we know for what purpose it was done. Some of the bodies appeared mutilated. Maybe it's another sign that the hunters are close?

20. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Doubtful or at least it has no connection to their original version. There are a dozen storylines that aren't hunter. it could be one of them. As of now the signs that hint hunters is zero but random baseless speculation.