Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Complaints about 30 Days Without an Accident

Discussion in 'Episode 401 - 30 Days Without an Accident' started by Sparky, Oct 14, 2013.

1. lurkers&roamers

We haven't seen a whole lot of zombie action since T-dog went down. The Big Spot scene was there to remind us just how dangerous the walkers can be. And when you get down to it, the walkers seem more dangerous, vicious, and ravenous than ever. And I have a feeling we might begin to see more people like that crazy lady in the woods. The prison group could be to her what the Woodbury group was to Rick's group. As in, the prison group has had it a hell of a lot easier than that lady.

The fact that a red shirt kid died isn't the punch. The punch is that their presumably safe location has just been horribly compromised with both an unknown walker and an unknown disease. This disease will likely have a big impact on the story and is something the show hasn't really looked at before. It's a new variable in the equation. This is a HUGE set up for the next episode and likely the rest of the season.

I'll grant that, while still eventful, it might not have been as eventful as the other premiers. It did take a good 15 to 20 minutes to really get rolling. It did do it's job to set up the plot points for the rest of the season. But I don't think the punch can really be denied. The punch being: unknown walker in the prison but more significantly the advent of a possible epidemic.

2. Alec96

Alec96 Well-Known Member

That preview at the end of the premiere covering a few episodes looks like we're in store for some really great things.

3. Benrai2k

Benrai2k Active Member

I have seen a lot of complaints with this episode..I don't understand what people want/expect right off the bat- considering the groups situation and where S3 left off? It can't be a huge earth-shaking episode for the sake of it. Though how people can undermine the cliffhanger surprises me. A disease is spreading and theres a walker ready to roam around while people are asleep in their cells. It is obvious this is leading to exciting times.

I really liked this episode. "What Lies Ahead" (s2 ep1) is one of my favourite episodes - but remember. It is almost 2 hour long or something. Also there was a reason for action - they were on the road, things began to spiral out of order and the group had its first major problem. It was a long episode, plenty of time for slower and action.

Seed, season 3.ep1 is one of my fave episodes of season 3. Though, minus few scenes like the camp fire and Lori worried she lost her baby, a lot of the episode is action and walker killing. Prison is found within 5 minutes. As much as I enjoy the episode it feels a little empty to a degree - but it is okay, they are clearing out the prison so it is to be expected to be kill heavy.

This opener has got to set the ground. Who knows what Mazarra planned when he finished S3 originally. Gimple needs to set some ground work for himself and us - or how else can we care what happens when things go bad or the prison is lost? We need to feel as if they have been living a somewhat stable life and that Andrea's dream of having the groups combined did actually last for awhile and it was worth the effort to have them join. I probably like this one more than Seed on a character level, but What Lies Ahead was able to provide sufficient action and character growth due to its duration.

4. Tengoku

Tengoku Member

I for one don't have much to complain about the episode. I didn't specially like it, not much action in it, but I understand that, as a new chapter in their lives unfolds, we needed to understand the dynamic of the new group, this new community.
    It seemed kinda off that there's a "council". Seriously? Are they that many?
    A bigger episode would have been nice but from the preview of next weeks episode I think it will get better :D

5. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Sometimes you need these more quiet episodes to set up all the story action to come. It wasn't the most amazing episode I've ever seen, but it was pretty good, and I think the stuff it set in motion will be amazing.

6. Tengoku

Tengoku Member

And we got to know that Daryl looks less badass with longer hair... lol

7. GunBrosGaming

GunBrosGaming Member

Ah I totally missed Daryl saying this. I'll have to go back and watch it. I think I missed a lot of stuff because I became disinterested when the woman in the woods was added to the plot. Really did nothing for me and so I probably zoned out knowing Rick was probably gonna be walking into a trap.

Still as far as scenes go, the grocery store was still pretty awesome.

I am still laughing though - Full size chinook helo crashes into store, no internal damage. Zombies standing on the roof, start falling through due to water damage. Helicopter falls through roof, only after zombies fall through the roof.

I can see a horde falling through if the following criteria were met -

1. They heard the bottles break and wandered into a group putting pressure on an already damaged roof.
    2. The roof was already damaged from the crash.
    3. Roof builder used paper mache to build the roof.

8. GunBrosGaming

GunBrosGaming Member

The whole roof thing - the more I think about it, the more it was really really impossible to believe. Here are more of my logical complaints the more I think about it.

1. Worst or best roof builder ever? Can withstand a chopper crash, but cannot withstand water damage? When the roof was built what would have been a bigger threat?
    2. Zombies walking around on the roof hadn't fallen through until just that moment? They were wandering on a roof... in the areas that they were at and a few people inside cause enough change to make the roof unstable?
    3. Worst shelf building ever? One bottle placed back on the shelf causes the shelf to collapse and fall?
    4. Bottles weren't dusty.
    5. Not enough fall damage... no rotting corpse would have been walking after that fall.
    6. No military zombies, all civilians despite a military helicopter crash.
    7. The place is completely dark and too close quarters for a large grocery store.

I need to go back through and really evaluate the scene. As far as suspending my disbelief it is necessary. I thought the scene was great.

9. Tengoku

Tengoku Member

Pretty much second everything bad said about that scene...

10. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. Benrai2k

Benrai2k Active Member

I like to imagine the chopper just had a hard landing more than a direct crash, which did damage to the roofs structure over all, hence why it was able to be penetrated by water to begin with.

I thought the wine shelf falling forward could been done a bit better though. It really did just look like someone shoved it forward lol.

12. zombieyorkiegrl

zombieyorkiegrl New Member

I really enjoyed the first episode.. I was in such a mood to watch TWD I was just happy it was finally on. I loved the supermarket scene! I think this is going to be an awesome season!

13. kjmarket

kjmarket Member

I'm not big on nit-picking this show too much. It is what it is and it's as realistic as a zombie show can be, I suppose. Only thing I have felt like nit-picking about is the immense amount of fresh looking blood coming out of the walkers. Walkers cannot bleed and should not have any blood. It should all be a thick, black colored viscous fluid. I liked the store scene as much as anyone, but it was somewhat ruined by the buckets of fresh blood exploding from zombies. Seems really cheap and lazy to me.

14. inkubus

inkubus New Member

after months of NO walking dead, the episode was definitely enjoyable. despite the roof collapse being idiotic. regardless, very excited to see how many survivors die before morning with the new swine flu walker teen. i hypothesize this event is what will make the group leave the prison, if not in episode 2, surely by episode 3.

15. kjmarket

kjmarket Member

16. Navygunz75

Navygunz75 Member

Ok...while your post wasn't directed towards me, I'm going to respond anyway.

When it comes to the Irish woman, I thought the explanation she gave was enough and I didn't have a problem with it.

But when it comes to the big spot scene, for me, it was mildly entertaining, but definitely felt forced, and very unrealistic, even for a ZA show. I love this show for its realism, even in an unrealistic world. I won't mention the issues I had with the scene, as they've been mentioned several times.

But seriously man...this is a forum for fans to discuss likes, and yes, dislikes of things happening in the show. I'm sure there are Daryl fan sites and things like that that are not allowed to have any criticism whatsoever, but this is a forum for people to discuss their opinions, even if their opinions don't agree with yours.

Now if someone comes on here just to flame the show and talk crap because they hate the show, that's pretty ridiculous. I would say to that person to get a freakin life and let the actual fans discuss. But seriously, if you get upset because people are discussing their opinions on a show they're a fan of and they aren't in line with what you believe so you in turn flame them, I would say to you young man, get a grip.

I'm sure you won't respect my opinion since I don't have a huge post count. I've been on here since the season 2 mid season break, and usually lurk since a lot of times since someone has already stated a similar opinion to mine, so I try to post usually when I have something to add. I'd rather be a poster that posts when I have something to add to the discussion or bring a certain perspective, not someone that just posts to get my name on every single thread or to see my count go up. Quantity does not = quality.

But I digress, rant over. I just hate when "internet tough guys" try to flex their muscle based on a post count or because someone disagrees which their opinion.

I will say that this episode was good, but nothing special. A good set up for things to come, but it did lack the punch that we usually get from a premiere. They tried to provide that with the big spot scene, but it didn't hit the mark for me.

#176 Navygunz75, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  17. Prophecy

Prophecy Member

I wish people would actually read the thread before posting their "logical complaints", because it has been explained...

The helicopter was a cargo chopper. Meaning it was probably full of civilians being rescued by the military when it went down. I believe you can see half of the pilot on the roof dead (just going by memory). Secondly, if you know anything about wood design, wood is strong against impact loads (i.e. a helicopter crash). Over time wood begins to fail, and combine extreme water damage (which weakens wood dramatically) you have a very unstable roof. Thirdly, the walkers were generally spread, it was only when they heard the bottle and shelf breaking did they start to congregate in an area, and as they did that their pounds per square foot increased and eventially made the roof yield and completey fail.

If you watch the episode you'll see plenty of walkers exploding from the fall, but you'll also see walkers landing on boxes and stuff allowing them to live. You'll also see a walker crawling from having his feet shattered off coming after Bob.

About the shelf, Bob slams the bottle down out of anger, and it's just a typical shelf falling. The dude on Talking Dead was saying how many videos he watches of liquor store shelves accidently falling on people....

The grocery store was next to a military camp type deal, which they could of easily move and re-stocked it tighter (if that is your complaint which is just......bleh).

Why I re-typed this, I don't know, I just hate people posting on a 18 page thread about complaints which have been explained. The explanations are actually very viable too, so why people feel the need to focus on "why" things can't happen, why not use your head and think about "why" they CAN happen.

#177 Prophecy, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  18. NY27NY

NY27NY New Member

I didn't have much of a problem with the first episode. It was a little boring until the end, the only death being Zach and I didn't like him from the second he appeared, and I'd rather have Beth bawling over his death than being depressed and emotionless. I thought the store scene was cool but unrealistic and stupid with the walkers dive-bombing from the ceiling. I was just a happy TWD was on again after such a wait.

19. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

20. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Actually, at least one of explanations here is far from 'very viable'. For one thing, your pounds per square inch theory is silly, because the walkers fell through holes individually, through individual weak spots, visibly unconnected to other weak spots which other walkers fell through. The increased density of the walkers [pounds per square inch, as you say] would only make sense if they all fell together through a contiguous opening. The fact is that it statistically doesn't make sense that they fell that way. That's something we must accept. But I still liked the episode very much.