Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Concerning The 4x09 Hate

Discussion in 'Episode 409 - After' started by TGO, Feb 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

Okay so reading over the Internet i've noticed a lot of People either loving or hating the Episode. The truth is that this Show is bound to please and disappoint especially with S4. Each Episode is different and has it's own respective feel, genre and atmosphere and for that i applaud it.

Scott Gimple's done a decent Job of showrunner so far and i think the finale will be the real indicator. Up until now the only showrunner who has successfully created a beautiful season from start to finish is Darabont. People might say him and his season are overrated but they have different tastes and not everyone is pleased with every season. Season 4 will be no different.

In truth while this Show is fantastic i don't see it as 'The Walking Dead' anymore. It lost that right the Moment they killed off Dale and Andrea but it is still a fantastic Show and i will continue watching because otherwise it will render all the years i've watched the Show useless. I suggest those sitting there whining and complaining because they don't like a certain episode to do the same. There are countless Episode i've been unhappy with but i continue watching, i don't join Forums specifically to say "this Show jumped the shark!!!!".

2. Emdier

Emdier Well-Known Member

It's no different from any other slow paced, character-driven episode that has aired before. Some people just watch this show for the zombie action and while there was a bit of that, there was not nearly as much as usual. This episode was about character development and honestly, it was a fantastically done character development episode. For those that don't have the patience to follow that, then it's their loss.

It seems like the majority enjoyed the episode and the ratings did extremely well, so it doesn't seem to be doing too poorly.

I don't know why anyone honestly expected any different though, the episodes of returning usually have a short but exciting action scene and mainly focus on characters and how they're handling the events of the mid-season premier. Why expect anything different?

I kinda felt like if any episode deserved a title for being a true Walking Dead episode, besides Days Gone By, it was this one. It contained the tone from the chapters its based off of and many scenes were almost directly from the pages of the graphic novel.

While people like myself express frustration in character actions, I still thought the episode was a very good one.

3. BooHoo

BooHoo Member

It lost the right to its name? What do you call it if not the walking dead? Dale wanted off the show so thats his fault. And Andrea..... I agree it was a horrible decision for them to kill her off. But they do want to spice it up so its not the same as the comics, her death had meaning to the Rick. And it led Rick to come back to reality and not be afraid to let in people.

4. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty clear what i meant. It doesn't have the same feel or storyline anymore, People say they want to spice it up so they solve that by killing off key characters? Okay then, if they're gonna spice it up well might as well just kill off Rick because y'know his death could serve Story purpoises and 'spice it up'.
    The original ending for season 3 was apparently very, very similar with her character surviving so her death was pointless anyhow. Like Laurie Holden herself said "The writers wanted to kill someone off and get big Ratings".

5. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

Exactly the Point, it was written by Kirkman too so People saying that there's nconsistancies and blaming the Episode for them are basically acting as if they know more than the creator of The Walking Dead. If there's inconsistancies, blame the other writers.

I loved the development Scenes, more-so because a lot of them were ripped directly from the Comics and it was beautifull handled Overall. I didn't feel too strongly about the Michonne flashback but i blame the direction.

6. kennyisalive94

kennyisalive94 Well-Known Member

I agree that killing Dale and Andrea hurt the show, but it's like losing a relative, or someone you love(needed to be more specific there, lol) You never want it to happen, but when it does, you can only spend so much time wondering what would be different if they were still around. You just have to keep on living life. Eventually, it'll be hard enough to imagine things being different.

7. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

to be fair, the darabont season that was great from beginning to end was only 6 episodes long. Creating a 16 episode season that is great start to finish is much more difficult

8. Governor

Governor Member

Being a comic fan for many years, I loved this episode, for me it's one of the best in the series, but if I had to pick my favourite, it would be "Too Far Gone" that episode showed the beauty in this season, It was dark, sad, intense and it closed perfectly the stories of some of the best characters in the show, so far Season 4 has not disappointed me.

9. BooHoo

BooHoo Member

Now now settle down ;) If they did everything exactly like out of the comic book, there is no element of suprise. We would all know what will happen and who will die. And we all know that our favorites wont survive all the time, cos it is a show they want to shock us as a viewer we have to expect it. Maggie is one of my favorites and I do expect her to die at some point when idk could be this season could be next season. Death is inevitable on the show. No one is safe , they made it pretty clear with Andreas death and heck even Robert kirkman said they arnt afraid to kill of Rick. The orginal ending was of Andrea getting ripped apart by milton walker wasnt it? And I think Hershel was a better moral compass than Dale just my opinion though:Grin:

10. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

I agree. Like [MENTION=370]Bassman[/MENTION] and myself said in another thread. After was easily one of the best and most true to the comic in tone and style since Days Gone Bye.

11. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Agreed. The Walking Dead is a show that will always be quite polarising due to the fact that it's a zombie show that focuses more on human mentality and survival. There is always going to be a divide between the fans that want the story told with as much depth and exploration of character as possible, and those who want a highly exciting, action oriented story. It really is all about preference.

I like the slower paced episodes, but the action based episodes are equally as important and thrilling. Luckily, The Walking Dead has both. Compare Live Bait to Internment. One was slow and served to develop a character, and the other was exciting and full of action. There are episodes, like After, that have slow moments of development and moments where Michonne takes out a bunch of zombies and Carl struggles gets cornered and struggles to fight zombies off.

It's impossible to please everyone, so...

What? Do I want to know what happened here, or will it only make my heart hurt?

12. The1WhoKnocks

The1WhoKnocks Active Member

There's nothing to hate. People are way too dramatic.

13. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

Heart Hurt.

14. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

The original scripts had her saving Woodbury, the only Thing Laurie said they changed was having her die instead of living. Apparently 2 days before Shooting the finale she got the call to say she gets it. Typical Mazzara, he did it with Merle too.

15. Carl Grimes

Carl Grimes Member

I sont understand what Mazzara was thinking killing 4 main characters in one season.

16. No.Pantaloons

No.Pantaloons Well-Known Member

I enjoyed this episode. However, I thought they should've started off with more of a "bang" to since it was the midseason premier. This was one of the quieter episodes in the series.

17. MassiveDynamic

MassiveDynamic La Jiggy Jar Jar Doo

personally i thought it was a great episode. im sure most people are upset because it had very minimal cast members in it. Im guessing that for the rest of the season each episode is going to feature limited cast since the group is split up. hopefully they will somehow find their way back to each other towards the end of the season.

18. Porfivor Nixon

When there is a large group disliking the episode, that indicates the episodes is not very good. Sorry to intrude with reality. I find it pathetic when a substandard episode is offered up, people rush in to excuse it by saying "Well, there will ALWAYS be people who don't like an episode" as if the episode is actually good, it's just the people themselves who are at fault. If there are always going to be people who dislike an episode, how can the writers be blamed for it? After all, no matter what they write, certain people will hate it. All that is such bullcrap. "Too far gone" got overwhelming praise- the reason for it is that it was good. Stop making excuses for this season, there has been a drop in quality. It's not that people have gotten "more critical," it's that episodes like this aren't any good!

19. Emdier

Emdier Well-Known Member

No, it's not because it wasn't good. It's because it wasn't full of Daryl blowing up tanks or characters head-shotting zombies left, right and center. The response to these slow episodes is ALWAYS the same, but at the same time they do not realize how crucial they are. There have been bad Walking Dead episodes, but this was not one of them.

If there were no slow episodes for character development, people would complain that there was no depth to the story/characters. If it was all slow episodes, then there wouldn't be enough action.

Too Far Gone was an amazing episode and you cannot expect that EVERY episode. That's why TV shows save their best for finales.

20. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I actually like the character development episodes. I thought this was a good episode, not a great one. There were a few scenes where I saw what they were trying to do, but didn't quite achieve the full potential they could have. I'm also fond of splitting up the characters, and only focusing on subgroups in each episode. That should be an interesting change for a couple more episodes. Frankly, I think Chandler Riggs is a fair actor for his age, I think he is growing into a more mature actor, but I don't think this was a bombshell breakthrough performance like some posters here seem to. It was a satisfactory performance, with potential. I don't think he's ready for a lead character role yet. I wouldn't want to see too many more Carl-centered episodes. This might be in my bottom 2 episodes for season 4 so far, but that's not too bad a criticism, as I think season 4 has been pretty good.