Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Conquer 516- Complaints and Criticisms

Discussion in 'Episode 516 - Conquer' started by Neuropyramidal, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

I appreciate your lengthy arguments, but you're ignoring one key point: Pete actually killed someone with witnesses there; both Nick and Gabriel did not directly kill anyone. Scumbags, certainly, but Alexandria seems to hold death sentence recipients to a higher standard.

2. Olivia

Olivia Member

I wondered the same thing. Not one splatter. Made no sense.

3. Trinnity

Trinnity New Member

It strains credibility. I do love the show. And Sunday night's finale was great.

4. Trinnity

Trinnity New Member

I noticed that too.

5. sam12six

sam12six Member

I think the character has some potential, but not as a member of the group. If, at the beginning of next season, Gabriel decides he needs to leave the compound and let God decide his fate, he'd be great for showing up in a couple of seasons as a crazy prophet leading a group of zealots out to purify the world of the scourge that is humanity.

As a good guy, though, no.

I disagree. I think the queen's wanting Pete killed on the spot was simply a selfish aberration. When Glenn marches scared dude in, she'll want a trial and punishment, at most, to be banishment. From the show producers' point of view, it's a waste to build up that hateable a character just to summarily kill him off. He's far better used in a return as a sneering traitor allied with the wolves.

--------------
    The only thing I'm really hoping for next season is that, after spending the whole season hinting at them and finally showing a couple of them, the writers don't pull a Terminus and have the wolves be broken in the first 10 minutes of next season.

6. Lewirox

Lewirox Member

i definitely agree to that aswell

7. Casca910

Casca910 Active Member

Ahh, I missed that.

8. CoyoteTWD

CoyoteTWD Well-Known Member

I'm curious, why do you need to like him to have him live? I like the fact that not everyone is this world is a likable person. We have enough of those on the show. Cowards and liars exist and they don't all need to be killed. While I don't LIKE his character, I like having his character on the show for a little variety.

#148 CoyoteTWD, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  9. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Exactly, and much more like reality. It's off-putting if only the bad people get punished and the righteous survive, like a bad slasher movie. Too moralistic (moral+simplistic). In the real world good people also die and bad people also live. And everyone has both good and bad points.

10. KAY EL

KAY EL Member

Never mind that. What really annoyed me is that Maggie overheard Gabriel tossing everybody under the bus but in the end, did absolutely NOTHING about it. That went NOWHERE.

11. Lewirox

Lewirox Member

because maggie.

12. Benrai2k

Benrai2k Active Member

I don't like him at all and I don't love to hate him. I "hated" the Gov but it was in the context of the show and he actually added to the show. Gabriel is just a waste of air time and I just don't find him entertaining. Eugene was a liar and I like him. Gabriel isn't a good character to me.

13. WalkingBuckeye

WalkingBuckeye Well-Known Member

This is what it comes to for me as well. As has been mentioned, he's sorta been written into a corner. His previous sins were ones of omission or inaction, but he made a conscious decision to go to Deanna and try to get the whole group kicked out. They weren't threatening him in any way. The writers have made him a contemptible character for many of us, and the implicit deal b/w writers and viewers around such characters is that they'll meet a deserved end. If they had him go so far as to actively seek the exile of the group who saved him, then a little prayer meeting ain't gonna make me find him interesting. And God, no more lingering close-ups of that pinched, constipated expression.

14. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

That would be an interesting scenario but I still think that Gabriel is insufficiently interesting to warrant much more screen time.

15. WalkingBuckeye

WalkingBuckeye Well-Known Member

First, I agree with this and second, your description of what Gabe would have to do to redeem himself brought me a much-needed belly laugh. Thanks!

16. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

Speaking for myself I don't have to have everyone likeable and agree that the full range of humanity should be depicted. It's just that in line with TWD habits of 1. knocking us over the head with the obviousness of some clues (apparently there's a group of bad guys calling themselves the wolves who are near) and 2. giving us insufficient information about other issues (Maggie apparently never talks to anyone ever about what's going through her mind whether it's her missing sister or betrayal by a member of the group) I just find the Father Gabriel character overdone.

Yes, yes, yes, I get it, Gabe is tormented by guilt over his actions, he's having a crisis of faith, he's a snivelling coward and he can't come to terms with this brutal new world. That's basically what his character has been doing every time he's been depicted for the entire season and I'm sick of him. I don't need to see more footage of Gabe with a contorted expression looking at something in horror or tearing up bibles or bursting into tears. I want his character to move forward in some direction, whether he's redeemed or goes full postal or commits suicide or dies of stepping on a rusty nail because he's just been going around in circles episode after episode.

17. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

Trapped in the church for so long, his diet must have had a serious lack of fiber.

18. TheTunnelRunner

Character behavior (motivations) that don't make sense. Superhuman or changing character abilities (again). Inexplicable Events. Horrendous continuity errors. Stories that don't add up to what we've been told. No big surprises/twists. Major plot holes still unresolved. - Another season finale that just adds more unintentional mysteries to the pile.

19. Capt. Rhodes

Capt. Rhodes Member

Jack Torrence.

20. Capt. Rhodes

Capt. Rhodes Member

She did not do absolutely nothing about it. She forgave him in the end, so it did go somewhere.