Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Conquer 516- Complaints and Criticisms

Discussion in 'Episode 516 - Conquer' started by Neuropyramidal, Mar 27, 2015.

1. DixonBrothersS3

I hope that there is somebody who knows how to take care of the wall. :zombies_confused:

2. Wesker

Wesker Member

I don't "like" Gabriel, but I think he is a good character, and I think next season we will see a whole new side to him. In one fell swoop he killed his first walker and killed his first human. He has faced his demons, he has found forgiveness, he realizes his sins and I think he's going to turn things around.

3. WillyJakkz

WillyJakkz Active Member

Yeah that's a great point about how the writers handled the Gabe reveal to Deanna with Maggie leering around the corner.

Solution: At Rick's "trial" Deanna brings up what Gabriel said to her about the group, Maggie says, "Gabriel's not here"... Deanna says, " and neither is Rick" (paraphrasing)... end scene...

4. Benrai2k

Benrai2k Active Member

I think that is why I can't warm to Maggie really. She really is muted. No speak of Beth. Doesn't speak of Gabriel's betrayal. Hard to find drama and interest in a character who doesn't talk. It is worse than Michonne in season 3! But at least season 3 Michonne has screen time and was apart of the plots.

I thought Gabriel was making some progress in The Distance when he took his collor off. Then back in the finale, 14 episodes after we learned he let his people die - he is back to crying and repeating it again. I wanted to punch Dawn in the face for how she was acting in the hospital, but she was an interesting character. I'd take her over Gabe and Maggie atm tbh (though I liked Maggie in the finale with Deanna) .

5. ella_k

ella_k Member

I agree. And probably die sacrificing himself to save the group.

6. KAY EL

KAY EL Member

More examples of sloppy writing.

7. Lewirox

Lewirox Member

LOL I forgot to mention that they drive a 2012 Hyundai in season 3 when the apocalypse started in 2010 cause ya know they kept the factory running and stuff.

8. Grotug

Grotug New Member

I just happen to be listening to The Wolves by Ben Howard when I read this post.

Wouldn't be surprised if this song shows up sometime next season (as we've already had Hershel's theme).

I understand conflict is necessary to drive a show, but the way events unfold at ASZ I just can't help think that the drama feels contrived and avoidable. Rick&co have been surviving traumatizing events for so long and then they finally find real sanctuary and they're not even remotely happy, with Sasha and Pastor still struggling to move on. Rick is constantly meddling and trigger happy from a pre-emptive mindset and sets things in motion for an eye-rolling misuse of a machete in the final moments of the finale: that was the weakest part of the episode for me: "Hey, we need to off a character in this finale; this will be a fresh way to off a character in a way people won't see coming". The writing is good, but it's not good enough for it not to be transparent that they're trying to keep the plot unpredictable by having unlikely or silly things happen. Worse, though is when lazy writers can't create conflict in an interesting and compelling way so they resort to cheap scenarios of people losing their cool and throwing fists (LOST was king of this and aside from its weak ending was my biggest gripe with the show).

I watch The Walking Dead because it had a strong pilot and out of a fascination with people trying to live and make sense of existence in a living nightmare post apocalyptic world. If there were no more zombies in this show, and if the show wasn't predicated on a steady dying off of characters, I'd be no less interested in the show; I might even be more interested in it. The steady die off of people just feels contrived after awhile. And to keep it happening the zombies have to suddenly appear out of nowhere with their soft gelatinous skulls and bodies, while their hands grip their prey with a titanium, vice-like strangle hold, not to mention their jaws and teeth somehow have shark-like strength. Ironically the zombies are the weakest part of the whole show. What makes the show interesting and compelling is the post-apocalyptic-trying to-survive-and-keep-your-humanity aspect: the good survivors finding in themselves the strength they could never have imagined they might possess in order to survive; the need and ability to constantly find the resolve to keep going all while developing and holding onto a remarkably selfless brand of humanity through it all.

Personally, I think it'd be more satisfying if they made it to ASZ and things worked out there and there was no contrived conflicts. Instead, the conflict could arise from one or more characters' desire to find other successful satellite communities and to continue to look for a cure. So that Rick&co and any others who wanted to could hit the road voluntarily in search of other communities that might know about successful attempts at a cure; a fellowship of sorts, on a quest to rid the world of zombies for good and reclaim the world. For me, that'd be a much more interesting plot line than the silliness involved with Carol being a bratty "I'm above these weak and pathetic people" and Rick dealing with an abusive husband--this is at that cheap level of conflict (fists flying) that drove much of what was boring and trite about LOST. Basically, I'd like this show much more if it focused more on the themes from Lord of the Rings that made that story so good (friendship, sacrifice, good vs evil).

#168 Grotug, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Lady Nightshade

Lady Nightshade Well-Known Member

I think my biggest complaint was that we never got to see Rick and Morgan give huggies!!! What a rip off! LOL

10. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

Or at least a fist bump!?!

11. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

It has become predictably unpredictable. We need more of the unpredictably unpredictable stuff. Catch us all off guard. And stop being so damn faithful to the comics.

12. StoryLine

StoryLine Member

ASZ maybe doing a super sized version of the farm.

Season2 Herchel - Season6 Deanna
    Season2 Shane - Season6 Rick/Carol
    Season2 Rick - Season6 Maggie
    Season2 Dale - Season6 Michonne/Glen
    Season2 Daryl goes out looking for Sophia - Season 6 Daryl goes out looking for new people

It just seems more of the same over and over again.

13. Adam Poole

Adam Poole Member

Yeah but you missed the whole twist on the Wolve's warnings. In "Conquer" we learned that the graffiti was left on the car by the two Wolves members. So now we know that it means something completely different than what we thought. Its not telling us that there are bad guys nearby, its telling other wolves members that there are prey nearby. And so that also changes our understanding of the same graffiti that we saw in Noah's hometown. I thought it was incredibly well done.

As for Maggie not being shown doing anything after overhearing Gabriel's deception... I got nothing. They could easily expand on that and show that something did happen behind the scenes or explain why she kept silent but if they were going to do that they'd need to do it in Season 5. It wouldn't make sense to wait to deal with it in Season 6.

14. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

Mmmmmmm, I agree that that's a possible interpretation but if the territory is so infested with co-ordinated wolf gangs where are they getting all their victims from? Are we to believe that there are sufficient little red riding hood and various other random guys wandering about in the ZA that it's worth setting up an elaborate zombie trap to lure them in? If there's so much traffic close by to ASZ then why hasn't Aaron noticed it?

I mean, with red riding hood why did they even need to bring him to their zombie trap in the first place? Why not just stab him with a shiv and take his stuff? And then exalt - woohoo, we scored ourselves a compass, some heavy duty boots, a weather proof poncho, an excellent waterproof duffle bag that's got a can of spam and some dried noodles and a supply of packages of salt, chilli and ketchup. And, I don't believe it, 3 cigarettes and a miniature bottle of brandy. I'd say that's a great payoff for days of work lurking around in the woods.

These wolves appear to be simultaneously excessively organised and excessively disorganised.

15. Adam Poole

Adam Poole Member

I get the impression that the wolves are pretty spread out. We know at one point they were at Noah's town which is a fair distance away from Alexandria. Also they had a large number of torsos cut up and in the truck (I'm talking about at Noah's town) and ready to transport somewhere when the vehicle got stuck. So it appears that you have small groups of wolves out there tracking, trapping, and killing people and bringing them back to specified locations like the truck lot, and leaving each other the same message at different locations, ie: we conquered this place but there are still survivors (prey) in the area. It also appears that large groups of wolves will work together to take out an entire town, like Noah's town and obviously Alexandria in the future. As far as how they are able to find and kill enough people to set up the trap and/or make it worthwhile, I think collectively between all members spread out and meeting up its not surprising at all. Remember in the opening scene the wolf talking to Morgan says that he meets a new person once very two weeks and Morgan says, "that's alot." It seems like its probably more than would happen just finding that random lone Poncho kind of guy. Like that wolf said in response to Morgan, "Oh I work at it." They are a pack and they constantly hunt and even lead assaults on entire towns.

I believe the truck lot where the trap was at is maybe 50 miles away from Alexandria? And Aaron told Daryl at one point that that is as far out as he has scouted. So that explains why Aaron never saw it before. Why not kill the poncho guy and loot him where they found him? Because they are as interested in the ritual of the kill as they are the loot, and they are even more interested in keeping the body itself. Logically it makes much more sense to walk your victim to your camp and kill them there then to kill them and then have to transport their reanimated body back to camp. They were going to bring Morgan back to the truck lot too and probably cut him down to a torso. They were surely going to do that to the poncho guy they just couldn't because they realized the trap had been sprung. The reality is just that they haven't come close to showing us the dealings of the wolves yet. Something determines whether they just kill someone, cut them down to their torso, or let them join their group.

#175 Adam Poole, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  16. TheTunnelRunner

It all makes the scene in Noah's house even more unexplainable - One person killed by head wound, one on a bed seemingly fed on while taking a nap (and never turned)... yet the one feeding on him was somehow behind a closed door (that didn't have a 'W' on his head). The wolves left a lot of useful stuff behind too. I hope there is a scene in Season 6 showing the wolves doing the same somewhere else. Otherwise, it's yet another arc that creates more holes than making sense.

17. Adam Poole

Adam Poole Member

Eh it was an attack on a town. There's going to be all sorts of things out of place that don't necessarily make sense unless you saw what happened. The person dead on the bed is one of the twin brothers. If he never turned then he was stabbed in the head. Whenever I see a dead body in a bed that is always a clue to me that someone put them down as a mercy kill. The walker in the house is the other twin brother and their rooms are connected by going through the bathroom. When Tyrese saw the walker behind the door he didn't know the rooms connected and didn't bother to check first. So it seems very obvious to me that it was the one walker twin that ate the other.

So here is a plausible scenario to explain it all. The wolves use walkers as traps. So they let walkers into the town a day or so before their planned attack, to thin out the crowd. Both of the twin boys got bit, among other citizens. Both boys are sick lying in bed. Mom intends on putting them down as soon as they die. She has no idea that the wolves are going to attack. The wolves attack the town and as soon as she realizes it she goes and stabs the one boy in the head to prevent him from turning. Before she can do the same with the other one the wolves come in and and during the struggle she winds up in the living room (maybe she ran, maybe they dragged her there) and they bash her head in. The wolves either never find the other twin or do find him and just leave him because he's already bit, dead, or dying. The boy turns and goes and starts eating his newly dead brother until he gets beyond the "mostly dead" stage when they will no longer eat you. By then his mother would also no longer be a food source for him either. So he just wanders around the house until Tyrese and Noah get there.

18. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Member

My only complaint is that is wasn't long enough. We need more air time per episode.